Ford C-Max minivan to be offered only as a hybrid

Here's the bottom line - I don't want a hybrid, period. If I did, I'd buy one.

With this decision, Ford has chosen to not offer a product for folks like me. Fair enough, I will take my business elsewhere.

Which, of course, is your prerogative.

I'm sure there were many discussions within Ford debating the pros-and-cons of such a decision. They made up their mind to go the all-hybrid route. We'll see in the years ahead if this was a wise choice.

It seems that European demand is strong enough for the Grand C-Max that the plant in Spain is doing all it can to keep up production. So the question Ford probably asked itself was whether or not they should take away sales from Europe to import it here? It really wouldn't make sense to go that route. The other option would be to tool up a stateside plant to produce it. There probably isn't enough likely demand to justify that either. Kind of a tough spot to be in, but as long as it is doing strong business in Europe, then it's still a win for Ford's bottom line.

• Like 1

I am dissappointed in the loss of the Grand C-Max. The dimensions were the same as an original Mini-van which the size was just right for families with mulitple children. The fact other companies are marketing you need more junk as a family grows so the vehicles get bigger. I don't need a Flex but I know I will outgrow my Fiesta and eventual replacement for that will be a Focus. Hybrids are hit and miss where I am. It's hilly country and not much flat grade. A small gas engine like the 2.5L NA or better a 1.6L EB would be perfect.

DeanH, EB 1.6 in Fiesta ST! Give it a 6M or Paddles on the 6A.

That being said, it make sense from the business perspective to get more vehicles on the road that use less fuel or no fuel at all. This reminds me of Bill Ford Jr's dream back in 2004 of 250000 hybrids a year on the road. Then the company almost went under. Now, it's possible. I don't have any issues with Hybrids and Electric go for it Ford.

if they can keep pricing in check ( and they do mention it ) why is a hybrid a turn-off....far as i can see its the best of both worlds....AND has range....my only gripe may be if the nix the little plus 2 seating in the rear....

Looks like calculations on 1.6 EB versus just go with hybrid are becoming more favorable

for the latter and preferred technology. If the costs are low enough, I can see Ford trying

to break through with hybrids and taking buyers to the next level of fuel efficiency.

Edited by jpd80

So, Dean, you gonna pull my words from your sig?

I was just thinking that...BWAHAHAHAHA....however I will call it a tie, power sliders wasnt the reason it never made it...funny though!....ther ya go rich...done....LMAO!

Edited by Deanh

Its a shame, I had 2 people (one already a Mazda5 owner) who were interested in buying one. Maybe there wasn't enough capacity to build our version, or maybe once priced out, it was too expensive to bring over... is the only thing I can think of.

The consensus of this board has been that the market for the Grand C-Max is limited (based on Mazda5 sales rates). This seems to be Ford agreeing with the consensus opinion of the board. The C-Max can be positioned quite effectively against the Prius (in the eyes of the average consumer) so this gives Ford an opportunity to give the Prius a direct competitor.

I guess Ford want to combine Grand C max with flex to make next generation of 7 seats car. Flex could downsize to CD3 plateform with some technology used in Grand C Max. I really like Grand C max, but most of my friends just think it is too small. The third row can only accomodate small kids.

I can only see two reasons why...Ford can't make the numbers work bringing that over or there's no capacity to export it here, or they decided to bring a real van to the market based on hm maybe CD3? Chevy has stated they are bringing over their (whatever they call it vehicle to compete with the Grand Cmax) so maybe Ford sees them doing well and decided to bring that over...although at that time, the product will be 2 years old...who knows...

The consensus of this board has been that the market for the Grand C-Max is limited (based on Mazda5 sales rates). This seems to be Ford agreeing with the consensus opinion of the board. The C-Max can be positioned quite effectively against the Prius (in the eyes of the average consumer) so this gives Ford an opportunity to give the Prius a direct competitor.

excuses for not being able to take advantage of market condidtion is not what a company tht wants to sell more product should be doing.

There is no good economical choice for a family of 5. Instead, Ford wants to sell them big SUV's. My brother wanted the Grand C-Max with three row seats, instead cramming 3 kids and 2 parents into their Escape.

Ford should just call it 'Focus Wagon Hybrid"

I have a family of 4 soon 5 WTF should we buy instead of a C-max that would offer the economy and maneuverability.

So i just took a quick trip around the internet, and the vast majority of people (on the car sites) were looking forward to the 7 seater. Much disappointment on this one.

this is a mistake for ford. the phrasing they used make them look like a bunch of idiots. why waste time and money with a large introduction of the 7 seat model and the premiere Auto show in north america, then kill it 6 months before it was due to bow. Words like " C-MAX lineup brings a stronger business case than introducing gasoline-powered seven-passenger vehicle in North America" being said after it was promoted by ford as an example of innovative thinking and a "white space" vehicle.

If it is more profitable to sell the C-max in europe instead of importing it from europe, say so, don't make yourselves look like idiots promoting a product that you just learned was a bad idea.

• Like 1

It's probably a combination of the two:

There was apparently not enough support in the NA market to justify NA assembly, and since NA export from Spain would be less profitable than EU volume, it's only logical that any NA export plans are contingent on available capacity in Spain.

You had a similar situation when the Mustang was launched: So much NA demand that it was not logical to build for export, as that volume would be less profitable.

However, the Grand C-Max can be brought stateside at any time in the future, where the previous Mustang couldn't be easily exported once NA demand died down.

It's probably a combination of the two:

There was apparently not enough support in the NA market to justify NA assembly, and since NA export from Spain would be less profitable than EU volume, it's only logical that any NA export plans are contingent on available capacity in Spain.

You had a similar situation when the Mustang was launched: So much NA demand that it was not logical to build for export, as that volume would be less profitable.

However, the Grand C-Max can be brought stateside at any time in the future, where the previous Mustang couldn't be easily exported once NA demand died down.

I am sure tht is how it worked out. but the issuing of a press relesase saying that the past 6 minths of PR was in error, and the display of 3 C-max7s at the Detroit Autoshow was a big mistake. if F'd up.

I would have phrased at like the EU press Release said it, we do not have the capacity we were planning to have to the north American introduction of the C-max 7, etc etc etc, when we have the ability to bring the product over we will.

this is an issue for Ford right now, we only have 1 C-car plant, nd no matter how flexible that plant is it is unable to build every C2 variant right now and even with LAP online next year it will struggle t meet the demand for the next escape and MKg, nevemind have spare capacity for the C-max 7.

this begs the question of the need for an additional source for C2 production in north America.

we are looking at MAP making 250,000 focuses 100,000 hybrid C-max5s

LAP 300,000 escapes and 40,000 MKg

because of the launching of so many new products in Al new production systems, there will be supply issues for the next few years and this is forcing ford to make decisions that are not what they would normally want to.

How many had cash in hand, ready to take delivery?

Me. Now I guess I'll have to go with a fugly Mazda 5. Ah well, considering the uber sales success of all the hybrids on the road today (nearly 2.4% last year, and falling - woohoo!), I'm sure the folks at FoMoCo are teh smart, just like when they decided to bring over "Merkurs" and stick crappy turbo 4's in place of the European driveline.

Me. Now I guess I'll have to go with a fugly Mazda 5. Ah well, considering the uber sales success of all the hybrids on the road today (nearly 2.4% last year, and falling - woohoo!), I'm sure the folks at FoMoCo are teh smart, just like when they decided to bring over "Merkurs" and stick crappy turbo 4's in place of the European driveline.

In reverse order:

1 - that EU drivetrain sucked.

2 - considering that the Mazda5 is no sales success either (about .01% of the US market and falling), your argument can just as easily be applied to the 7-seat C-Max.

Edited by RichardJensen