2012 Ford F-150 gets driveline upgrades, 750-mile range, new graphics

Down where tall blades of grass tickle the underbits, Ford has equipped every 2012 F-150 with Hill Start Assist to make starting off on grades less stressful. Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum F-150s are given a new four-wheel drive system that includes an automatic mode to augment its four modes in each range. All 2012 F-150 4X4 models have the ability to be flat-towed in neutral, and an electronic-locking rear differential is available for EcoBoost and 5.0-liter V8 F-150s. Wheelbase and payload tweaks are made, as well, and your bladder will certainly notice the 756-mile range of the 2012 F-150 EcoBoost 4X4, made possible by a new 36-gallon fuel tank.

The most visible addition for 2012 is the available FX appearance package that adds visual badassery to F-150's exterior with flat black stripes, red badging, unique head- and tail-lamps, chrome exhaust tip, and a black grille. Wheels for the FX package are flat black 20-inchers, too. The FX package also tarts up the interior with black leather on the seats set off by red piping and perforations. The steering wheel continues the theme with red stitching. Black and satin-metallic accents complete the FX package's interior high points. There's also a new FX Luxury package that adds heated and cooled front seats.

Link

The main benefit of a big tank isn't straight crusing range, it's the ability to ride the gas price waves. You have more control over when and where you fill up, so you can get the most fuel for your dollar.

Also for a majority of people it means they (in their mind) get better gas mileage.

Nice additions, and I'm sure more is to come! Ford just continues to show why they are top dog in the truck category. Truck looks badass, inside and out.

Interesting how long range is now a good selling point.

Remember discussion regarding range for the Grand Cherokee vs Explorer.

I must be missing something, the option code is 61T for the 36 gallon tank...and its listed as FLEET ONLY......and N/A with the eco-boost...AND Regular cab only

The 36-gallon fuel tank comes standard on 2012 F150's with EcoBoost & 4x4. According to the order guides, 61T allows it to also be ordered as a fleet option on XL & XLT 4x2 regular cab 145" WB trucks without EcoBoost.

2012 Ordering Guide.pdf

Edited by NLPRacing

The 36-gallon fuel tank comes standard on 2012 F150's with EcoBoost & 4x4. According to the order guides, 61T allows it to be ordered as a fleet option on XL & XLT 4x2 regular cab 145" WB trucks without EcoBoost.

funny, the ONE page my ordering guide is missing.....lol......

• Like 1

Interesting how long range is now a good selling point.

Remember discussion regarding range for the Grand Cherokee vs Explorer.

That was exactly my thought when I saw this thread initially. But figured I'd stay quite about it, since it's supposedly not a big deal, too much extra weight and people would never use that amount of fuel before it went bad in the GC. But of course a benefit for the F150. Just another one of our wonderful BON hypocrisies.

Edited by V8-X

That was exactly my thought when I saw this thread initially. But figured I'd stay quite about it, since it's supposedly not a big deal, too much extra weight and people would never use that amount of fuel before it went bad in the GC. But of course a benefit for the F150. Just another one of our wonderful BON hypocrisies.

yeah, but without them some of the fun would be missing.........

It's all relative, which some people have trouble seeing.

Besides, the discussion was that the extra range that Jeep was really touting on the GC was intended to "fool" customers into thinking that it gets better MPG. The discussions also revolved around a slightly larger range not being enough to sway someone from buying an explorer. I even remember making the comment that given the choice, I choose the larger tank, but it wouldn't keep me from buying a specific vehicle if it had a slightly smaller tank, especially with the range being rather large already.

Plus, I'm guessing there aren't many S/CUVs dragging around large trailers getting 9-10 MPG either.

And it is true that the same thing can be good in one case, but not another. Large tits on a blonde female can be very attractive! Large tits on a male, regardless of hair color...well, not so much.

It's all relative, which some people have trouble seeing.

Besides, the discussion was that the extra range that Jeep was really touting on the GC was intended to "fool" customers into thinking that it gets better MPG. The discussions also revolved around a slightly larger range not being enough to sway someone from buying an explorer. I even remember making the comment that given the choice, I choose the larger tank, but it wouldn't keep me from buying a specific vehicle if it had a slightly smaller tank, especially with the range being rather large already.

Plus, I'm guessing there aren't many S/CUVs dragging around large trailers getting 9-10 MPG either.

And it is true that the same thing can be good in one case, but not another. Large tits on a blonde female can be very attractive! Large tits on a male, regardless of hair color...well, not so much.

Depends on your interpretation of the commercial I guess. I never took it as getting better mpgs, as it never stated it got better mpgs. Just stated with the long range tank, you could go further between fill ups. Simple statement. But if anyone is fooled into thinking it gets better mpgs, then they are an idiot, plain and simple. Some people attempt to read into the statement too much instead of taking it for face value.

And no it may not sway you or I or anyone, it's not that big of a deal. But it is still a benefit and option, at least in my eyes. I knew I was buying an F150 no matter what. But had they offered the 36 gallon tank back in 2006, I'm fairly certain I'd have opted for it.

Also, the Jeep commercial wasn't directed at towing. It was more directed at those who go into the back country or 4 wheeling. In those cases, people argued that you could simply bring a 5 gallon tank along with you, which is true, but it would be much more convenient to simply have a larger tank.

True of the tigo bitties. But in this case, I consider the larger tank a benefit in both the GC and F150.

Edited by V8-X

Also, the Jeep commercial wasn't directed at towing. It was more directed at those who go into the back country or 4 wheeling. In those cases, people argued that you could simply bring a 5 gallon tank along with you, which is true, but

Not the one I remember. It was about how you could drive from Los Angeles to Monterey on a single tank, unless you need to stop for coffee. It then shows a GC stopping at a yuppie coffee shop.

Edited by TomServo92