Fusion Coming to Flat Rock

The move to Flat Rock all but insures that the forthcoming Fusion will continue to maintain that close connection (to the Mazda6).

Uhhh....no. I think all it means is that Mazda is now ready to bail on AAI. Is Mazda certainly moving out now or what? Any word on if the MKZ will move there exclusively? (Would be a good idea if you ask me.)

• Like 2

Then what happens to Hermosillo?

Its still going to be making Fusions...

I see Flat Rock getting the high end models and maybe the MKZ

Hermosillo is going to be building the lower end models and cars for South America.

Ford is expecting to sell at least another 50K Fusions a year after next year and Hermosillo is maxed out.

...Any word on if the MKZ will move there exclusively? (Would be a good idea if you ask me.)

+ 1 icon14.gif

Originally Posted by 2b2

...I'm ruminating on a Lincoln sportsedan and coupecabrio joining the Mustang part of the plant

I know it's "antique thinking" but imho it'd sure be nice for Flat Rock to be

a
LINCOLN
+
Mustang
FACTORY

StarShips.gif

Edited by 2b2

Its still going to be making Fusions...

I see Flat Rock getting the high end models and maybe the MKZ

Hermosillo is going to be building the lower end models and cars for South America.

Ford is expecting to sell at least another 50K Fusions a year after next year and Hermosillo is maxed out.

Last year hermosillo made 320,000 vehicles all up, that includes 200,000 Fusion and MKZ to USA, probably 30,000 to Canada.

If you take out 30% as high end models, hybrids and MKZ for US and Canadian production, that means about 80K to 90K for Flat Rock

giving a comfortable single shift operation there while leaving Hermosillo with a more comfortable 220K to 240K per year.

Last year hermosillo made 320,000 vehicles all up, that includes 200,000 Fusion and MKZ to USA, probably 30,000 to Canada.

If you take out 30% as high end models, hybrids and MKZ for US and Canadian production, that means about 80K to 90K for Flat Rock

giving a comfortable single shift operation there while leaving Hermosillo with a more comfortable 220K to 240K per year.

Not to mention the abititly to sell more cars....Ford is expecting big gains with the Fusion...I wonder what they know that everyone else doesn't that is going to increase sales that much...should be VERY interesting.

Not to mention the abititly to sell more cars....Ford is expecting big gains with the Fusion...I wonder what they know that everyone else doesn't that is going to increase sales that much...should be VERY interesting.

It's the type of cars being produced, everyone is looking at new larger Escape with 1.6 EB that gets better hwy than hybrid

but don't make the connection to similar gains in Fusion, this next Fusion, the 1.6 EB will get better (?) hwy than current hybrid..

I predict that Fusion and Escape are going to drive sales crazy next year...

Edited by jpd80

Well, I think one reason it may sell better would simply be availability. With Hermosillo already running at/near capacity, they couldn't sell more if they wanted to. Hard to guage upward market demand if you're already at the production cap.

Well, I think one reason it may sell better would simply be availability. With Hermosillo already running at/near capacity, they couldn't sell more if they wanted to. Hard to guage upward market demand if you're already at the production cap.

When the plant is running at max capacity, it's also much harder to tailor inventory stock as order lead times need to be longer

which you can't do if buyers take a liking to a specific trim level combination. With a less stressed plant, more control is possible..

Having high series production in USA also guarantees quicker delivery for customers buying better models,

that could be a great bargaining chip to go up a trim level or two..

Edited by jpd80

It's the type of cars being produced, everyone is looking at new larger Escape with 1.6 EB that gets better hwy than hybrid

but don't make the connection to similar gains in Fusion, this next Fusion, the 1.6 EB will get better (?) hwy than current hybrid..

I predict that Fusion and Escape are going to drive sales crazy next year...

you mean late next year

I ask the same question SilverSVT asked, When is HAP being taken down? when is AAI being taken down? how long will it take to spend 555 million dollars on AAI. how long will HAP be down to prepare for the Next fusion?

I cannot foresee this large of an investment being quick or painless.

Ironically the investments in the US creates tons of questions about investments in Mexico and in Canada.

Where are all these Ecoboost I-4 engines going to come from?

Dearborn engine plant did not win Ecoboost production. ford only has 2 I-4 plants in North America, Dearborn and Chihuahua, Mexico, Chihuahua makes the 2.5 and previously the 2.0 duratec.

where are the rumored I-5 and I-4 diesels going to come from for the Transit?

Ford has Committed Small V6 (2.7 and 3.0) production to both Cleveland engine 1 and Lima engine, as an obvious hedge against Demand falling for the larger 3.5 and 3.7 engines.

what will be placed at OAP?

I guess the details will be released in the next few months.

you mean late next year

I ask the same question SilverSVT asked, When is HAP being taken down? when is AAI being taken down? how long will it take to spend 555 million dollars on AAI. how long will HAP be down to prepare for the Next fusion?

I cannot foresee this large of an investment being quick or painless.

Ironically the investments in the US creates tons of questions about investments in Mexico and in Canada.

Where are all these Ecoboost I-4 engines going to come from?

Dearborn engine plant did not win Ecoboost production. ford only has 2 I-4 plants in North America, Dearborn and Chihuahua, Mexico, Chihuahua makes the 2.5 and previously the 2.0 duratec.

where are the rumored I-5 and I-4 diesels going to come from for the Transit?

Ford has Committed Small V6 (2.7 and 3.0) production to both Cleveland engine 1 and Lima engine, as an obvious hedge against Demand falling for the larger 3.5 and 3.7 engines.

what will be placed at OAP?

I guess the details will be released in the next few months.

A lot of interesting questions and probably the next step in discussions regarding spending in Mexico and Canada.

It's obvious that Ford has been planning this for quite a while and have probably been positioning contracts in place

well in advance, it wouldn't surprise me if AAI goes first with new Fusion building up a stockpile of new vehicles

until Hermosillo can be shut down, then AAI takes the load for a short period until HAP comes back up.

During that time, inventory of CD3 Fusion gets eaten down until launch of new car approaches, then seamless switch.

Dearborn has increased capacity for 2.0 DI, maybe that gets expanded to Ecoboost in another announcement after contracts signed.

Also Mexico makes 1.6 for Fiesta, perhaps 1.6 EB line goes there, possibly 2.0 Ecoboost depending upon what Ford decides.

Ar diesels confirmed for T Series or will that use NA V6 and EB V6?

Just supposition on may part, none of us knows until subsequent announcements after ratification of deals,

i bet a lot more swings on the UAW signing than is being let on...positioning of support contracts for these major projects.

Edited by jpd80

Take my advice: Don't go too far out on a limb with that kind of speculation.

Up close with a US Transit ?

Posted by theOldWizard.

So the other day I was "inside the fence" at FoMoCo, and there is a big, red, full sized Transit parked in the lot along Oakwood near Rotunda. So I drive up to it to get a better look. RWD. Diesel (filler for "diesel fluid" looks added-on near the right rear). Left hand drive and (gasp) an automatic ! Yep, a full auto. Missing dash bezel so there is a hand painted PRND32L printed next to the shifter.

Now where else in the world would Ford sell a diesel automatic full size Transit ??

Edited by Biker16

You should be able to go up to Class 3 with the EB V6, which is the largest Transit planned for the US, AFAIK. Thus you could have a NA/EB V6 lineup for the T-Series and keep a cab structure that's EU friendly. But if you start having to put a V8 in the Transit, then, IMO, you get into a realm where sharing with EU makes less sense.

Edited by RichardJensen

A lot of interesting questions and probably the next step in discussions regarding spending in Mexico and Canada.

It's obvious that Ford has been planning this for quite a while and have probably been positioning contracts in place

well in advance, it wouldn't surprise me if AAI goes first with new Fusion building up a stockpile of new vehicles

until Hermosillo can be shut down, then AAI takes the load for a short period until HAP comes back up.

During that time, inventory of CD3 Fusion gets eaten down until launch of new car approaches, then seamless switch.

That could work better than the traditional stockpiling of the old car while the new car is built up. the Way I see it either way they are going to be short. If mazda moved out AAI today, it would take months to retool it to the Scope the 555 million dollar investment entails. These production moves take months to plan and months to execute. I guess We will have to wait to hear the details of the New car in a few months.

Dearborn has increased capacity for 2.0 DI, maybe that gets expanded to Ecoboost in another announcement after contracts signed.

Also Mexico makes 1.6 for Fiesta, perhaps 1.6 EB line goes there, possibly 2.0 Ecoboost depending upon what Ford decides.

The US Fiesta's 1.6 is made in Brazil.

We shall see.

Ar diesels confirmed for T Series or will that use NA V6 and EB V6?

Just supposition on may part, none of us knows until subsequent announcements after ratification of deals,

i bet a lot more swings on the UAW signing than is being let on...positioning of support contracts for these major projects.

Here in Cleveland, they are going to make 4 and 6 engines at the Brookpark plant. Perhaps that will be where all the extra engines are coming from.