2013 Ford Dealer show scoop link

What do I like best? The Powershift transmission and MFT.

That is false. You can't like those the best. That is what people who don't own them are complaining about, so you can't like them. It just isn't possible. :blah:

PS...that is sarcasm for those whose sarcasm detector is broken...

That is false. You can't like those the best. That is what people who don't own them are complaining about, so you can't like them. It just isn't possible. :blah:

PS...that is sarcasm for those whose sarcasm detector is broken...

I was thinking exactly the same thing...and it underlines my thought....all it takes is adaptation and hands on...something ALL the detractors seem to lack....

I was thinking exactly the same thing...and it underlines my thought....all it takes is adaptation and hands on...something ALL the detractors seem to lack....

His MFT must be working! :stirpot:

seriously though........has Ford gotten the bugs out yet? Ford took a serious hit on CR and other lists mostly because of MFT.

seriously though........has Ford gotten the bugs out yet? Ford took a serious hit on CR and other lists mostly because of MFT.

yes theres bugs and glitches...but reflashes and the like are conquering...plus I guess there is a HUGE reflash on the horizon. But in all sincerety, the biggest bug is people unwilling to read the manual and spend QUALITY time learning what is important to them and getting the hang of it...

I paid $250 over invoice (X plan with $100 doc fee) and only had to wait 5 weeks to the day for a base SEL hatchback. Not a single problem to date.

Ditto. I ordered mine (SEL hatchback) in mid-June, and got it in mid-August. No problems at all. What do I like best? The Powershift transmission and MFT. Plus the excellent styling.

Order mine august 22nd arrived on October 4th.

Hope to pick it up Thursday if Issue in my Signature can be resolved.

The latest release seems to be very stable. Not 100% but much much more stable. It also speeds up the touch screen response for most people.

yes theres bugs and glitches...but reflashes and the like are conquering...plus I guess there is a HUGE reflash on the horizon. But in all sincerety, the biggest bug is people unwilling to read the manual and spend QUALITY time learning what is important to them and getting the hang of it...

Reminds me of an owner review of a Magellan Nav that I have. This person gave it a zero because she said it was unsafe to use, and the port connection was loose.

It does have a unique mounting bracket, it slides into the base and THEN plug it in through the base and into the Nav unit. Works great if you read the instructions~ !!!~

At least for the Focus, it's my understanding there was a major MFT software upgrade for all Foci built after July 26th. Mine SEL was built in early August. Again, no problems.

The latest release seems to be very stable. Not 100% but much much more stable. It also speeds up the touch screen response for most people.

Which brings us right back on topic. The dealer show. Apparantly, according to our business manager, Microsoft re-wrote the MFT software. This is the "total re--write" we've been hearing about. I guess Ford paid big bucks to have them do this. All MFT owners will be getting a flash drive in the mail so they can reprogram it by themselves. If you don't want to, the dealer can do it for you.

He is a MFT user (wife drives an Edge Sport, his demos) and is constantly complaining about it. He witnessed the reflash process and said it takes about 15-20 minutes. A lot shorter than I can do it right now (about 45 minutes if it doesn't hiccup). He tried it after the fact and said it was night and day. He tried a ton of commands right on top of one another and it didn't miss a beat.

My fingers are crossed. I'm really sick of it. All the work I've done for free: explaining things to customers, hard reboots, syncing phones, getting APIM prior approval. This will make my month! :happy feet:

• Like 1

Which brings us right back on topic. The dealer show. Apparantly, according to our business manager, Microsoft re-wrote the MFT software. This is the "total re--write" we've been hearing about. I guess Ford paid big bucks to have them do this. All MFT owners will be getting a flash drive in the mail so they can reprogram it by themselves. If you don't want to, the dealer can do it for you.

He is a MFT user (wife drives an Edge Sport, his demos) and is constantly complaining about it. He witnessed the reflash process and said it takes about 15-20 minutes. A lot shorter than I can do it right now (about 45 minutes if it doesn't hiccup). He tried it after the fact and said it was night and day. He tried a ton of commands right on top of one another and it didn't miss a beat.

My fingers are crossed. I'm really sick of it. All the work I've done for free: explaining things to customers, hard reboots, syncing phones, getting APIM prior approval. This will make my month! :happy feet:

Good to hear!

not sure they paid big bucks for it, i do know they told them to get their act together...

not sure they paid big bucks for it, i do know they told them to get their act together...

Since MSFT didn't write the first go-round of MFT, I don't think Ford told anyone to get their act together. They told BSQUARE to GTFO, then asked the big dogs to come in and fix it. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny, but at least it sounds like it is done right this time.

Since MSFT didn't write the first go-round of MFT, I don't think Ford told anyone to get their act together. They told BSQUARE to GTFO, then asked the big dogs to come in and fix it. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny, but at least it sounds like it is done right this time.

Bingo!

something smells Navistar.....lol

I thought Ford brought it in house and fixed it themselves?

I don't think MS was involved outside of providing the OS to run Sync on....

Its sorta like someone like Adobe asking MS to unscrew up Acrobat or Flash when it runs like crap on Windows. They don't do that...they might request a change if something is broken with Windows, but the Application is on the developing company for the most part.

Its sorta like someone like Adobe asking MS to unscrew up Acrobat or Flash when it runs like crap on Windows. They don't do that...they might request a change if something is broken with Windows, but the Application is on the developing company for the most part.

I don't know who re-wrote it for them, but was just pointing out that MS didn't do it the first time around. Wouldn't surprise me if Ford hired MS to do it though, to make sure it was correct this time around. But yes, you are correct.

I don't know who re-wrote it for them, but was just pointing out that MS didn't do it the first time around. Wouldn't surprise me if Ford hired MS to do it though, to make sure it was correct this time around. But yes, you are correct.

Ford contracted with BSQUARE who were supposed to be experts with Flash. They got screwed big time. It's their fault for not having the proper oversight for sure, but at one time I heard there were 1500 bugs on the list - and that was just a few months away from production. Flash seems to be the performance problem (something apparently Steve Jobs already knew and banned it from iOS). The rest is simply buggy application code plus some hardware problems. Apparently they're also responsible for it taking 45 minutes to update and not being user-installable.

It seems that Ford did tell BSQUARE to GTFO and brought in Microsoft to assist in rewriting the application. I don't know how much was done in-house by Ford vs. Microsoft but it seems clear they won't repeat the mistakes they made last year.

Live and learn. You have to realize that this is an auto mfr trying to write complicated application software - probably even more complicated than iDrive. This is their first effort. Even experienced companies have these types of problems. So I'll cut them a little slack provided they do get it fixed and make it retroactively available at no extra cost. If they do actually mail everyone a usb drive ready to go I'll be even more impressed.

I'm just relaying what Ford representatives told all the Ford dealers at the dealer show. They said MS did the rewrite.

I guess MS didn't want to do it the first time and recommended BSquared. MS didn't want to do it this time either, but, I guess, Ford said pretty please and here we are. Again, this is what the Ford reps said at the show according to our business manager.

reason for edit: clarity

Edited by theDuff

Actually, I'm relieved they didn't. Think about it. Ford writes software for ABS, RSC, SRS, and the like. Maybe powertrain stuff, not sure. I know they patch a lot of powertrain software on the fly. TOW was pretty sure they write a lot of there own now. Anywho, your going to ask them to write a user interface? I would think that the software engineers needed to write said UI would all be new hires, no? It would be a B-Square disaster all over again.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to sub it?

It seems that Ford did tell BSQUARE to GTFO and brought in Microsoft to assist in rewriting the application. I don't know how much was done in-house by Ford vs. Microsoft but it seems clear they won't repeat the mistakes they made last year.

I thought BSquare Corp. extended its contract with Ford earlier this year to at least the end of calendar year 2011 (news article)? :shrug:

Or the new engineers they added are actually MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) engineers that are subcontracting just to satisfy the contract Ford made with BSQUARE.

Or they're working on other stuff. I'm sure Ford had a contract with BSQUARE and probably has to pay them no matter what. Or BSQUARE made them a deal on future work due to the problems they had.