2013 Ford Escape World Debut

And here is the beaut!

2013-ford-escape-21_1200.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/2013-ford-escape-gets-focused-design-ecoboost-power/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2013-ford-escape.html

http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/13Escape/

VIDEO 1

The biggest news is a pair of EcoBoost offerings that include a top-end 2.0-liter variant and an efficiency-leading 1.6-liter. With an estimated 237 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque (Ford is still finalizing power ratings), the 2.0-liter offers virtually the same horsepower count as the V6 but produces a useful 27 lb-ft of extra twist while also promising improved mileage. The 1.6-liter is expected to serve up 173 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque while managing at least 33 mpg on the highway.

Both mills include turbocharging and direct fuel-injection technologies while also adding twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) to the range of EcoBoost features. Exclusive to the Ecoboost motors is an active grille shutter system that opens grille slats when extra cooling air is needed, such as stop and go driving situations, while at highway speeds the slats automatically close to improve aerodynamics and eke out extra mileage. Ford says that the new Escape is nearly 10 percent more aerodynamic overall.

Edited by BORG

Highlights for the practical minded:

Stowing and towing are even easier in the new five-passenger Escape, thanks to a low liftover height of 27 inches, more innovations and cargo volume that surpasses the outgoing Escape – with 68.1 cubic feet of space behind the first row and 34.3 cubic feet behind the second row.

When properly equipped, the all-new Escape maintains a trailer tow rating of 3,500 pounds.

Also sounds as if the i-AWD system has been upgraded.

Looks good to me:

Better looking

Better fuel mileage

More engine choices

No Powershift...6 speed torque convertere with Select Shift

Better traction in snow

Maintains optimum 3,500 pound tow rating

More features

More cargo room behind both front seat and back seat

Fold flat rear seats creating more room

Better interior

Now wait for pricing

D25 gets a reduction in power but probably better FE for a base engine. EB16 and EB 20 looks good. So far, I like it a lot. The turning diameter is up why? Is it because it's a larger vehicle? Not like it's a big deal, same as the lowered clearance.

Interesting to see Ford going to some length to explain what is essentially just an upgrade to the Intelligent AWD system. All Ford's AWD systems work pretty much as described here:

Advanced Ford-developed software behind the new Escape’s Intelligent 4WD System pre-emptively reassesses conditions about 20 times faster than it takes to blink an eye, readjusting the power split to give the driver the precise blend of handling and traction at all times.

Using advanced software and sensors, the system gathers data from 25 external signals, including wheel speed, accelerator pedal position and steering wheel angle, to deliver outstanding driving performance in both wet and dry conditions as well as excellent off-road traction.

Also interesting that torque vectoring and curve control are essentially software just like the terrain management system in the Explorer.

Ford is definitely doing more with electronic torque control. Subaru may have the AWD rep, but Ford's system is as sophisticated in the systems it tracks and more sophisticated in the way it reacts.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

base engine projected to gain 2MPG, 1.6EB 5MPG over outgoing model, should be.....

Wait for it............

Wait for it........................

2 MPG better than the Equinox, and easily the class of the field.

Thats 5 better than the hybrid i think...so like 39 mpg at least.

The Vertek Concept can be seen here. Are the black parts of the grille active shutters? I'm not a fan of the side trim behind the front wheels. I don't think those vents are real so if not, why bother? Overall, This will hopefully be my second vehicle. Limited Titanium AWD with EB20 please. If you have Dark Grey or Blue, that would be awesome.

Edited by Hugh

base engine projected to gain 2MPG, 1.6EB 5MPG over outgoing model, should be.....

Wait for it............

Wait for it........................

2 MPG better than the Equinox, and easily the class of the field.

Current Escape gets 28mpg

28+5 = 33mpg

Equinox/Sportage/Tucson are all 32mpg now

If it gets 5 better than the hybrid Escape that would take it to 36mpg and that would be impressive.

I wonder what the SE/XLT model will look like -- those pictured look like the Titanium and SEL models.

Current Escape gets 28mpg

28+5 = 33mpg

Equinox/Sportage/Tucson are all 32mpg now

If it gets 5 better than the hybrid Escape that would take it to 36mpg and that would be impressive.

I wonder what the SE/XLT model will look like -- those pictured look like the Titanium and SEL models.

I assumed it was speaking of combined mileage, where the Equinox is 23 and the Escape would be 25.