2013 Ford Escape World Debut

I'm dead tired but one of the interesting details here is the inclusion of HID headlamps with LED running lamps.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-ford-escape/full/#photo-4608181

And look at the tail-lamps in this one...wonder which trim level that is for?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-ford-escape/full/#photo-4608221

Edited by BORG

I'm dead tired but one of the interesting details here is the inclusion of HID headlamps with LED running lamps.

the Head lights are even cooler in person and that looks like a titanium tail light

I noticed the different looking taillights on that picture - I figured it's the Titanium model, but it didn't match the earlier pictures of the Titanium model, so I'm not sure what it is or maybe the picture is messed up or something, who knows lol.

I noticed the active grille shutters come with the 2.5L and 1.6L, not with the 2.0L, hm found that a bit odd. Also, navigation system has some sort of joystick thingy, was hard to tell specifically how/what it controls. Like it so far, although dont care much for the rear light arrangements...kinda annonymous, the higher trim versions get a bit porky at 3700lbs, but at least its not hitting 4000lbs.

Wow, is all I can say. I'm still poking around and getting info, but here's my takeaway:

Love the look. It's definitely got the kinetic look. Love the sweptback look of the rear of the roof and nicely aggressive look to the headlights and hood.

Kept the 3500 lb tow capability, kept the same clearance (save 1/2 inch) and added the advanced AWD features. All important stuff as I will be putting a greater emphasis on snow capability/traction/etc in my next purchase.

Negligible decrease in hp, but a good jump in torque---with the 2.0EB, it'll have good pull off the line.

Improved interior space/cargo management. Another reason I was ready to consider a CUV--I can tow a small trailer, I can haul all sorts of stuff inside, I can drive in the snow and 98% of the time, I'll still be able to put the hammer down on the highway.

I'm really happy. And if Ford pulls off great improvements like this on the Fusion, I'm gonna have a really hard decision.

The following selected quote from Autoblog sum up my feelings.

Love it or hate it, the 2013 Escape takes much of its design inspiration from the 2012 Focus. The large, trapezoidal lower grille, the wraparound design of the taillamps and even the alloy wheels are further interpretations of the Focus formula. And while the sexy lead image you see above makes the Escape look all tough and handsome, truth be told, we're not sure if we love it. We've seen the new Escape in person and it still strikes us as a bit too... Focus-ed. Call us old school, but there was something appealing about the mini-SUV styling of the old Escape.
  • Like 1

Okay, some technical questions.

What is up with the "ribbing" on the outside of the 2.5L (non-turbo) exhaust manifold ? And what is the manifold made of ? It almost looks like ... plastic ????

post-11847-0-53568400-1321436956_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Note to self. No posting before 6AM and a cup of coffee. Of Course that IS an intake manifold !

Edited by theoldwizard

What is up with the "ribbing" on the outside of the 2.5L (non-turbo) exhaust manifold ? And what is the manifold made of ? It almost looks like ... plastic ????

All engines appear to be set up for an external oil cooler.

Any interior/seating specs released ? I would love to see a side by side comparison.

Curb weight ?

The ribbing is done for resonant noise and vibration damping. And yeah, it's plastic. So are all the MZR-based Duratecs, no?

I'm in love!

Great! Will you buy one?

If the pricing is right, I say we have a winner

Great! Will you buy one?

Anyone who said this will look like the RAV4 or CR-V, can it. It's somewhat astonishing how much it resembles the shape of the current one from some angles in the press photos.

Yeah, I mean it's a dead ringer for a Hyundai, but only looks marginally like the CRV/RAV4.

If you're seeing the Escape in this Kuga you need to have your eyes examined.

Don't care for it, but hope it sells well.

Yeah, I hope it sells. Maybe Nick and Borg will buy one. I won't. As a Ford fan it saddens me that I'm running out of Ford vehicles I would buy. Lot's of negative comments on blogs about the new styling btw.

To each their own I suppose.

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 3

All engines appear to be set up for an external oil cooler.

Any interior/seating specs released ? I would love to see a side by side comparison.

Curb weight ?

I don't think that's the exhaust. Other photo's show the Exh Manifold with a metal heat shield. You also wouldn't run your wiring right over an exhaust manifold.

Great! Will you buy one?

Great! Will you buy one?

Yeah, I mean it's a dead ringer for a Hyundai, but only looks marginally like the CRV/RAV4.

If you're seeing the Escape in this Kuga you need to have your eyes examined.

Yeah, I hope it sells. Maybe Nick and Borg will buy one. I won't. As a Ford fan it saddens me that I'm running out of Ford vehicles I would buy. Lot's of negative comments on blogs about the new styling btw.

To each their own I suppose.

A car isn't an iPod, I can't buy one of each just to have them for my Ford collection! Would I buy one? Absolutely! Will I buy one...probably not because I have the means to buy the Edge and/or MKX (and I want adaptive cruise control). The more important question to ask is, would I have bought the old Escape? And the answer is "Not a snowball's chance in hell!". My sister will be buying the new Escape, and so will my Mother. There are two customers for ya!

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2