How Focus shoppers become Escape buyers

DETROIT -- One of the big sales surprises this year is the Ford Escape.

Instead of Escape sales dropping like a rock as they should be, they have gone through the roof.

The Escape has been on the market since 2000 with little more than a minor midcycle enhancement -- that's 12 long years with essentially the same design. History teaches us that "old" product dies quickly. But not the Escape.

Through November, Ford sold 228,719 Escapes. The crossover's best year was 2010 when 191,026 were sold over 12 months, according to the Automotive News Data Center. John McElroy, a Detroit automotive journalist, pointed out Escape's record pace during a commentary this morning on a Detroit radio station.

Typically, a vehicle reaches its sales peak in the second or third year of a new design, then sales fall. Depending on the automaker, a major sheet metal redo usually is done every five or six years, and the sales pattern is repeated. By contrast, the Escape -- along with its cousins the Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute -- has looked pretty much the same since 2000. Of course, the Mercury and Mazda models are now deceased.

So what accounts for the sales triumph? I asked Tracy Handler, an analyst at IHS Automotive. She offers three reasons:

• First, the styling is unique which makes the Escape stand out from the crowd. "It will be interesting to see how the next one fares as it moves to the more rounded styling like the CR-V," Handler says. The redesigned 2013 model goes on sale early next year.

• Second, "I think Escape has benefited from all the good news and advertising for the brand with new products like the Focus, Explorer, getting people in the door," she says.

• Finally, Ford has boosted Escape incentives. "I don't think Focus has done as well [as expected] and think some of that is pricing and the deals you can get on a Fusion or Escape," Handler says.

Simply, the Focus is drawing people to the dealership, but some buyers are finding a better deal with the Escape.

You can reach Rick Kranz at rkranz@crain.com.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20111208/BLOG06/111209884<meta name=#ixzz1gLGwdp61

The Escape is a bargain, that's the only reason that matters. It's gotten more affordable as it ages thanks to incentives. Focus, Escape, Fusion attract the bargain hunters not the enthusiasts who just want that specific car. So when you have three options to pick from, you go with the best preceived value...and clearly the Focus is loosing because it's new and not incentivized. This is a familiar pattern with many Ford launches, they come out very expensive, sales are poor, and then Ford softens their grip. There are exceptions like the Explorer.

Edited by BORG

This is a familiar pattern with many Ford launches, they come out very expensive, sales are poor, and then Ford softens their grip.

Care to back up this claim? The Focus isn't that much more in MSRP pricing vs the older model. Yes you can option one up to 28K, but not all of them are that expesive.

Another thing this article is ignoring, is that Ford heavly fleets out the last year or two of an outgoing model...the Escape had considerable fleet numbers for '10...

I don't see Focus buyers switching to an Escape. I was in the market for a CUV not a small car. Here is why I choose Escape: 1. Factory tow package with trans cooler and trailer sway control. Chevy NOX did not have this. 2. Sync. 3. Price. Chevy and Dodge could not come close in capabiltiy, features or Price. We actaully started out looking at Edge but wound up with Escape. We did look at Chevy and Dodge CUVs.

If nothing else the new smaller Escape will help Edge sales. Right now they have pretty similar size and features.

Care to back up this claim? The Focus isn't that much more in MSRP pricing vs the older model. Yes you can option one up to 28K, but not all of them are that expesive.

Another thing this article is ignoring, is that Ford heavly fleets out the last year or two of an outgoing model...the Escape had considerable fleet numbers for '10...

The Focus MSRP is actually cheaper than the ougoing model, but similarly equiped Focuses have increased in price. And there are are no generous financing and/or incentives on the table. So when you go to price up a Focus, it doesn't' compare favorably to cars with higher MSRPs that have incentives on the hood.

The Escape is a bargain, that's the only reason that matters. It's gotten more affordable as it ages thanks to incentives. Focus, Escape, Fusion attract the bargain hunters not the enthusiasts who just want that specific car. So when you have three options to pick from, you go with the best preceived value...and clearly the Focus is loosing because it's new and not incentivized. This is a familiar pattern with many Ford launches, they come out very expensive, sales are poor, and then Ford softens their grip. There are exceptions like the Explorer.

Like Explorer, Flex, Mustang, Fusion, Focus, Fiesta, Edge,Taurus........

I think you have fallen into the trap of looking at the past too much, it's a lot harder to get GM like

incentives out of Ford and the only time you do is basically when old stock is being run out...

recently, Chevy fans have been scoffing that some F 150s had $10K on the hood but neglected to say they were 2011 models....

Edited by jpd80

Not surprising -- I can lease a 2012 Fusion SEL (Leather, Roof, BLIS) or 2012 Escape Limited (Leather, Roof, Lux Package) for $219mo sign and drive. A Focus SE is $229. So the Escape and Fusion are cheaper and have WAY more equipement.

For those shopping "monthly payments" , indeed.

Edited by MKII

recently, Chevy fans have been scoffing that some F 150s had $10K on the hood but neglected to say they were 2011 models....

Those fans shouldn't have scoffed - they should have headed to their local Ford dealer to snap up a great deal on the best light duty pickup truck on the U.S. market - the F-150!

First, the styling is unique which makes the Escape stand out from the crowd. "It will be interesting to see how the next one fares as it moves to the more rounded styling (ie: blend in with the crowd) like the CR-V," Handler says. The redesigned 2013 model goes on sale early next year.

Uh-oh.

• Like 2

Typically, a vehicle reaches its sales peak in the second or third year of a new design, then sales fall. Depending on the automaker, a major sheet metal redo usually is done every five or six years, and the sales pattern is repeated. By contrast, the Escape -- along with its cousins the Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute -- has looked pretty much the same since 2000.

I don't agree with that statement at all. The 2008 redo was fairly significant. Not really an all new vehicle, but in terms of a facelift it was pretty significant.

This looks quite a bit different...

2008_Ford_Escape_23_(544x408).jpg

Then this...

41645214.jpg

Yes the overall shape is the same, but pretty much every piece of sheet metal is different. The statement they make sound like it hardly even got a new grille.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

I don't agree with that statement at all. The 2008 redo was fairly significant. Not really an all new vehicle, but in terms of a facelift it was pretty significant.

This looks quite a bit different...

2008_Ford_Escape_23_(544x408).jpg

Aside from us who study automobiles to an almost sickening level, I think the VAST majority of people wouldn't know that the 2008 was NOT a completely new vehicle. Granted, they upgraded the powertrains, substantially upgraded the interior and changed the exterior. Plus, they added a whole bunch of cool tech to the Escape like self parking, a very advanced traction/stability control system, SYNC, MyKey, EZ Fuel etc.

2008 was a very large MCE, I think...and a damn good one at that. Ford emphasized what helped the 2001-2007 be so successful (tough styling) and added the features that were absent from the original (features listed above). And it's safe.

Too bad they are replacing it.

• Like 1

The article also misses out one other significant issue: Up until 2007, people had the option of getting a Focus hatchback or wagon. Once 2008 and later hit, the only "smallest" Ford that I can think of that could carry 5 passengers and cargo would be the Escape. I have a few friends that jumped over to an Escape for that sole reason: They couldn't get a Focus hatchback or wagon.

• Like 2

Aside from us who study automobiles to an almost sickening level, I think the VAST majority of people wouldn't know that the 2008 was NOT a completely new vehicle. Granted, they upgraded the powertrains, substantially upgraded the interior and changed the exterior. Plus, they added a whole bunch of cool tech to the Escape like self parking, a very advanced traction/stability control system, SYNC, MyKey, EZ Fuel etc.

2008 was a very large MCE, I think...and a damn good one at that. Ford emphasized what helped the 2001-2007 be so successful (tough styling) and added the features that were absent from the original (features listed above). And it's safe.

Too bad they are replacing it.

I am sorry but I feel the assertion that the 2001-2007 Escapes were tough looking is a bit of a stretch.

All the girls I know that own Escapes think they're "cute".... :stirpot:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

LOL! People say the same thing about the MX-5 and Mini...but let me tell ya...those cars can be massively fun!

Nothing about the Escape in 2001 made it look any tougher than the CRV or RAV4.

post-31110-0-57017200-1323740090_thumb.jpg post-31110-0-15556900-1323740097_thumb.jpg post-31110-0-78987100-1323740105_thumb.jpg

To each his own. I know which one I'd drive if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose...

Edited by Boss444

Compared to the 2001 CR-V, Rav-4, Santa Fe, etc. That's how I see it anyway...

All the girls I know that own Escapes think they're "cute".... :stirpot:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

My wife didn't like the Escape because of it's "truckiness" (her term). She wound up with a Santa Fe.

A couple of months later, she saw an Edge, and asked why we didn't look at them when we were at the Ford dealer. I had to remind her we did, but she wanted something smaller. Like I said, she wound up with a Santa Fe.

Wives can be confusing sometimes.

My wife didn't like the Escape because of it's "truckiness" (her term). She wound up with a Santa Fe.

A couple of months later, she saw an Edge, and asked why we didn't look at them when we were at the Ford dealer. I had to remind her we did, but she wanted something smaller. Like I said, she wound up with a Santa Fe.

Wives can be confusing sometimes.

My wife likes Mustangs, F150s, classic Lincolns with suicide doors, fights during football games, and SIG handguns. On the other hand she also enjoys lemon Martinis, massages, pedicures, and shoe shopping. Her diverse interests are one of the things I love about her!