2012 / 2013 Escape Side by Side

Was at Costco today and happened to see a 2013 Escape parked next to a 2012 Escape and got a couple photos. When side by side it really makes the old Escape seem dated. The 2013 also looks to be about an inch shorter than the current one but the styling actually makes it look taller.

post-15819-0-29411500-1324167671_thumb.jpg

post-15819-0-91139100-1324167640_thumb.jpg

Was at Costco today and happened to see a 2013 Escape parked next to a 2012 Escape and got a couple photos. When side by side it really makes the old Escape seem dated. The 2013 also looks to be about an inch shorter than the current one but the styling actually makes it look taller.

post-15819-0-29411500-1324167671_thumb.jpg

post-15819-0-91139100-1324167640_thumb.jpg

Good find, and interesting!

Thanks for taking the pic and posting.

Ah, the Madison Heights Costco, drive by it all the time on i75 :)

This is great, thanks for sharing! Is that a Raptor your shooting from?

Also, the domed hood on the Escape looks especially dumb when you see it next to the new Escape.

Edited by BORG

Are they building the new Escapes yet...or have they stopped building the old ones?

No (At least not "Production") and No.

According to ice-capades

01/11/2012_2013MY Escape Order Bank Open Date

02/09/2012_2013MY Escape Scheduling Begins

03/26/2012_2013MY Escape Job #1 Date

I've read the last real Escape will get built in April.

Are they building the new Escapes yet...or have they stopped building the old ones?

Yes madison hts Costco, yes I have a Raptor. They are just doing production at the pilot plant, so a few more months before production starts. There are about 10 new escapes sitting outside of the pilot plant currently.

Ah, the Madison Heights Costco, drive by it all the time on i75 :)

This is great, thanks for sharing! Is that a Raptor your shooting from?

Also, the domed hood on the Escape looks especially dumb when you see it next to the new Escape.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The power dome or whatever Ford called it on the old one doesn't look half as dumb as the Focus front looks on a crossover.

Also if the current Escape style is dated then we also must start saying the F150 styling is dated. Would the F150 be better served with a Focus front end? I think not.

• Like 2

WOW, those side by sides make the old escape look really sexy.... Especially the front end.

I love the old escape, but that's pretty bad. Well, if the owners of the old escape ever feel like a confidence boost, all they need to do is park next to a 2013 :hyper:

Edited by probowler
  • Like 2

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The power dome or whatever Ford called it on the old one doesn't look half as dumb as the Focus front looks on a crossover.

Also if the current Escape style is dated then we also must start saying the F150 styling is dated. Would the F150 be better served with a Focus front end? I think not.

That's right, because the F-150=Old Escape and Focus=New Escape, I mean they are TOTALLY identical!

They don't have to be identical to share similar styles.

F150 is a regional vehicle so it doesn't have to change appearance but Escape is now

on a global platform shared with Kuga. Ford obviously feel that the benefits of sharing

next gen Kuga with Escape far outweigh any negatives, gotta love 'em squeezin' bucks...

It's not the front-end that's an issue for me, I think the fascia is absolutely brilliant and perfectly executed and a massive improvement over the outgoing model...but the rear is where the design breaks down for me. I'm still trying to withhold judgement until I see it in person but it's too shapely and off balance...not sure I can excuse the way they handled the integrated bumper. I figure that the sheet-metal at least is in good order however.

I'm not saying the old Escape was ugly at all, but if I were spending money on a new vehicle I want it to look, drive, and feel state-of-the-art (unless of course they are throwing money at you and then most people don't give two-sh*ts). Buying the current Escape was like buying a used car that smells new...it's a relic and I'm glad we finally have a contemporary small FE SUV at Ford.

Edited by BORG

No (At least not "Production") and No.

According to ice-capades

01/11/2012_2013MY Escape Order Bank Open Date

02/09/2012_2013MY Escape Scheduling Begins

03/26/2012_2013MY Escape Job #1 Date

I've read the last real Escape will get built in April.

These dates sound right and I think job last for Escape in KC might actually be in March. They really have a lot of work to do in KC to gut the plant for the Transit.

I have an Escape order in the system. When new products are launched, those company employees and retirees eligible for the lease program are given first dibs. However, these are pre-prod builds, so the company is using employees as guinea pigs to catch any issues early with a good selection of solid buildable orders (company employees tend to "check a lot of boxes" when they order, so the early units have pretty rich content which gives good experience with build complexity). So the early order is a mixed blesssing. Often times there might be some minor issue that can cause the units to be held at the plant until repair parts are received and units repaired and released. When the plant passes <J1> and production is being ramped up, the concentration is getting units in the hands of dealers and retail customers (as it should be), so sometimes the pre-prod units sit for a while until they are repaired and cleared for delivery. I don't expect mine until August or so unless there is some minor miracle and the launch goes incredibly smoothly.

I just bought an Escape a lot like the one in the pic, and I think the new one looks 10 times better.

The F150 hasn't looked more or less the same since 2000 like the Escape.

I think it's cool that that Ford employee parked the prototype right there next to a current Escape so we could re-hash this debate.

BTW, the Focus grille on a Crown Vic would've been killer!

The new Escape looks pretty good, better than I first thought based on press photos. In the real world it looks fine. I just hope it doesn't suffer from the "me too" syndrome where it is hard to differentiate from all the other vehicles in its class. At least with the old model it looked like a more traditional SUV than most of the competition even if it was more CUV than SUV. I just hope that was not a significant reason why it has been the best seller in this segment.

Edited by blksn8k2

F150 is a regional vehicle so it doesn't have to change appearance but Escape is now

on a global platform shared with Kuga. Ford obviously feel that the benefits of sharing

next gen Kuga with Escape far outweigh any negatives, gotta love 'em squeezin' bucks...

Correct me if I am wrong... doesn't the current Escape in North America sell about 3 to 4 times more volume then the Kuga does worldwide? If that is the case why would you cater to your European customers and not your American customers in this market segment? Just curious.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong... doesn't the current Escape in North America sell about 3 to 4 times more volume then the Kuga does worldwide? If that is the case why would you cater to your European customers and not your American customers in this market segment? Just curious.

You are so hung up on the idea that the current Escape sells in large numbers because of its styling...as many have pointed out the Escape is a success because it is cheap to buy, another words it is a stellar deal. If styling were so important to sales the Camry certainly wouldn't be the number one midsize sedan, nor would the Corolla be the number one compact.

You are so hung up on the idea that the current Escape sells in large numbers because of its styling...as many have pointed out the Escape is a success because it is cheap to buy, another words it is a stellar deal. If styling were so important to sales the Camry certainly wouldn't be the number one midsize sedan, nor would the Corolla be the number one compact.

You think I am the only person in the world that thinks this?

http://wot.motortrend.com/refreshing-or-revolting-2013-ford-escape-137467.html

Read those comments and see what others have to say.

You think I am the only person in the world that thinks this?

http://wot.motortren...ape-137467.html

Read those comments and see what others have to say.

I never said you were alone. My assertion still stands that many place to high of value on the style of the Escape in explaining its sales success. If the styling of the Escape, which you describe as 'tough', explains the success of the Escape then why don't models like the Liberty and Patriot do better in terms of sales as they both certainly embody the 'tough' styling you value so highly. Conversely why do models like the CRV and Rav4 sell so well despite their lack of 'tough' styling?

Edited by stpatrick90
  • Like 2

Well...I think the Focus front looks awful on a Focus...so it's bound to look goofy on a SUV...err...crossover...err...utility or whatever PC term is being used by todays automakers

"Dated" is such a negative term. As far as I can tell, the only thing "dated" about the current Escape is the engines. And they're not that dated. I think the current body style Escape would do very well with a powertrain refresh and a revised interior. It's a shame to see the direction of the 2013 (from a styling standpoint). Technology wise, I think the Escape is best in class. I drive a base model Escape for work every day and it's a great little vehicle. 22MPG average economy (90% city/10% highway), great visibility (which will be taken of with the 2013), fairly loaded for a base model, etc. The only complaint is that NVH is not in line with newer Fords. In fact, it's horrible. Sitting at a stop light, it feels as if it's equipped with seat massagers. Pop it into neutral and it goes away.

I believe it sells well because it's the complete package. And part of that is styling. It's unique in a sea of bland/anonymous little SUVs (which will change in 2013).

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 2

The only issue with the 2013 Escape vs the 2012 Escape is that it looks nothing like the outgoing vehicle...

People hate on the next gen Mustang all the time, but yet it still sells in good numbers when it does change.

It boils down to people not liking change and people being butthurt that they don't own the latest and greatest anymore.

Guess we'll see where Sales numbers are at...I'm betting that they will be less then what they are now, but ATP's will be higher with less fleet sales.

• Like 1

It boils down to people not liking change and people being butthurt that they don't own the latest and greatest anymore.

That's one way to put it...

Guess we'll see where Sales numbers are at...I'm betting that they will be less then what they are now, but ATP's will be higher with less fleet sales.

Well...yeah. The same thing could be said about the 2010 Taurus and the 2007 (or whatever the last year was except it wasn't the last year). Or even the BOF Explorer to the D3 Explorer.

However, it would be silly to do that as all three are very different vehicles.

The only thing I don't like about the 2013 Escape is the body. I bet if Ford were to cram the new powertrains, new tech, new interior into a body that is fresh, but clearly evokes the North American design language (ie the new Edge) they would have just as high of ATPs, etc.

• Like 2