Chicago Auto Show?

People in the rest of the US are still surprised to learn how large Chicago's show is. Common thinking is it would be LA or Detroit. But it has been for decades, and attendance is high since more people can fit in McC Place, and parking, etc. One other theory it's large is Midwesterners like to comparison shop cars in one place, without sales folk bugging them to 'buy today'. Another is we like to go someplace warm and sit in dream cars.

Anyway, at Ford display, the '13 Escape makes the old ones look like 1975 Granadas. People liked them and the idea that the "old Escape style should stay" is like saying the '86 Taurus should have kept the boxy Fairmont look.

And the '13 Fusion drew raves, making Accords look like 1996 Buick LeSabres! It's a far cry from the first Fusions which some said were 'too small' or 'too Mazda'.

Edited by 630land

People in the rest of the US are still surprised to learn how large Chicago's show is. Common thinking is it would be LA or Detroit. But it has been for decades, and attendance is high since more people can fit in McC Place, and parking, etc. One other theory it's large is Midwesterners like to comparison shop cars in one place, without sales folk bugging them to 'buy today'. Another is we like to go someplace warm and sit in dream cars.

Anyway, at Ford display, the '13 Escape makes the old ones look like 1975 Granadas. People liked them and the idea that the "old Escape style should stay" is like saying the '86 Taurus should have kept the boxy Fairmont look.

And the '13 Fusion drew raves, making Accords look like 1996 Buick LeSabres! It's a far cry from the first Fusions which some said were 'too small' or 'too Mazda'.

Very true! I was disappointed that the the 2013 MKZ show car was not at Chicago, but in Toronto instead. I really wanted to see it up close.

Very true! I was disappointed that the the 2013 MKZ show car was not at Chicago, but in Toronto instead. I really wanted to see it up close.

I attended the CAS on Monday and I too was extremely disappointed to hear the the MKZ was at Toronto.:angry2:

I thought the Lincoln display was a disappointment compared to the Lexus and Cadillac displays.

The two products that really stood out for me were the Lexus LF-LC and the Cadillac Ciel concept.:camera:

Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, SRT, Ram and Fiat really had an interesting and active display with the "drag strip" and the two test tracks for Ram and Jeep.

I do wish that Ford would have displayed the Escape, C-Max and Focus ST better.. I walked by the C-Max twice before I noticed it.:banghead:

It was also interesting to see the "affluent" visitors that Hyundai drew for the Genesis trio and the new Azera.

It was shown at NAIAS on dynonometer where they let show goers drive/simulate it up to 200 mph with big interactive video screens behind it.

Not true. The GT500 convertible on the dyno was a 2012. I stood right there and heard the pep rally leader on stage say so. Show goers were also not allowed to drive it. They were allowed to sit in the passenger seat while a "professional" ran it up through the gears to about 140 mph in 4th gear. :shades:

Not true. The GT500 convertible on the dyno was a 2012. I stood right there and heard the pep rally leader on stage say so. Show goers were also not allowed to drive it. They were allowed to sit in the passenger seat while a "professional" ran it up through the gears to about 140 mph in 4th gear. :shades:

The GT500 was fun to watch...

I agree that the Lincoln display was too small, like an afterthought. The Cadillac area was 3 times as large. More product presenters than lookers. Only the Navigator had fans. Need a bolder flagship and mainstream car.

Also, why have the C-Max and no presentation? People ignored them, and they were same color! C-Max name is awful, too. Should be called Focus Hybrid.

But again, 2013 Fusion and Escape were hits with the crowd. Most of the time, new styling sells. The old Escape had a good run, but time to go.

McCormick Place is a MUCH nicer venue than Cobo Center. And Chicago far exceeds Detroit as a convention and tourist destination, generally speaking. Why not just consolidate NAIAS and CAS as the second major event among North American auto shows (following LAIAS) and hold it in Chicago?

A couple years ago, there was strong talk that CAS would become the NAIAS with Cobo struggling and owned by City of Detroit. But Cobo is now run by regional authority, floated some bonds, and is now about two years into complete renovation that will be completed in another year or so. So Metro Detroit Auto Dealers have decided to keep it in Detroit with NAIAS designation and not transfer it to Chicago. The renovation will be very nice with part of Cobo facing river to have all glass front and complete view of river and Canada. Cobo Arena is also ripped apart and will be add on space for more auto exhibits during auto show and other big events during year. So for next few years at least NAIAS will remain in Detroit as Metro Detroit Dealers don't have to deal with disgusting Cobo and corrupt Detroit politicians anymore. Detroit is losing all its assets and Cobo is just one of them gone for good. Finally, there is a regional approach in this area that will hopefully help this region over time. It's great how bankruptcy or the fear of bankrupticy seems to cleanse a lot of problems so that renewal can take place.

Seems you need a dedicated hybrid vehicle to be uber successful.

But at the same time the Prius has been on the market the longest....its become a Greenie/hippie/etc Status symbol.

Its successful..but it took them quite a few tries to get the sweet spot...so far the only other "successful" Hybrids are the Escape and maybe the Fusion...

Ford's Chicago display wasn't as good as it usually is. Not as much interaction, and fairly flat (as in most vehicles laid out on the ground). It seemed like the new Escape was a second class citizen like they aren't showing it off, there were 3 total and only the SEL was open. You would think this close to launch that they would have one up on a spinner and someone talking about it's features to get people excited. In fact, I didn't notice any presenters except for the Mustang Dyno.

Far cry from the awsome Ford display at Detriot. Chicago got shafted and they are supposed to be the larger show.

The Lincoln display was a joke and no one noticed it. WE didn't even bother going in the small shoebox they had setup. Again, a far cry from the impressive Lincoln display in Detroit. That was done right.

Ford's Chicago display wasn't as good as it usually is. Not as much interaction, and fairly flat (as in most vehicles laid out on the ground). It seemed like the new Escape was a second class citizen like they aren't showing it off, there were 3 total and only the SEL was open. You would think this close to launch that they would have one up on a spinner and someone talking about it's features to get people excited. In fact, I didn't notice any presenters except for the Mustang Dyno.

Far cry from the awsome Ford display at Detriot. Chicago got shafted and they are supposed to be the larger show.

The Lincoln display was a joke and no one noticed it. WE didn't even bother going in the small shoebox they had setup. Again, a far cry from the impressive Lincoln display in Detroit. That was done right.

Hmmmm, I thought Ford shipped its Detroit display to Chicago? And Ford display in Detroit was best display by far. And to think CAS has more room to display more vehicles. Go figure. With CAP there, and Chicago metro area twice the size of Detroit, you would think Ford would really ship the Detroit display there and show even more vehicles. I know that Chicago is a big time import crowd, but Ford can make some conquest sales there if they act like they care about CAS. I don't get it. And Ford should have better new vehicle debuts at CAS other than very limited volume Mustang model.

Chicago got shafted and they are supposed to be the larger show.

On the other hand, Ford did provide Chicago Auto Show attendees an opportunity to earn a $50 MasterCard gift card for test driving one of their vehicles, as in previous years. :happy feet:

Also, Ford gave away several (gargantuan) puppy plush toys at the Chicago event:

ford_cas12_01.jpg