Ford Expands Manual Trans Availability In Focus

Why would the ST have a "massive insurance hike"? It's just a 250 hp manual Focus.

My SVT Focus cost more to insure then a brand new 2006 Mustang GT..when I got it...to the tune of $500 a year...

My rates went from $2100 a year on the SVT to $1600 on the GT...and I was over 30 with a then perfect Insurance record (I rear ended someone in 2007...)

I still don't know why a car that had double the HP cost less...I guess more older folks where buying it and drove down the costs..and the SVT was lumped in with people who didn't drive as well since they where younger or not as affluent.

Why would the ST have a "massive insurance hike"? It's just a 250 hp manual Focus.

Mazdaspeed3 is just a 263hp manual Mazda 3, but when I priced insurance on it, it was obnoxious.

You're paying a "hot hatch" tax as the vehicle class attracts thieves and boy racers who are much more likely to wrap a telephone pole at 130mph.

My SVT Focus cost more to insure then a brand new 2006 Mustang GT..when I got it...to the tune of $500 a year...

My rates went from $2100 a year on the SVT to $1600 on the GT...and I was over 30 with a then perfect Insurance record (I rear ended someone in 2007...)

I still don't know why a car that had double the HP cost less...I guess more older folks where buying it and drove down the costs..and the SVT was lumped in with people who didn't drive as well since they where younger or not as affluent.

There is more to insurance costs than accident rates. Theft rates, cost to repair - it's a lot of things.

I just don't think it's a slam dunk that a ST version would necessarily have dramatically higher insurance rates. I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find out.

You can't really compare insurance across vehicles to say one with more HP costs more. Some vehicles just cost more to insure due to damage done in minor fender benders, airbags, glass, theft rates, etc. A lot of factors play into it. HP is one of them, but there are a lot of other factors as well.

Great news. I guess it's put your money where your mouth is time for all those folks clamoring for a manual Titanium.

Although since Ford pissed away most of the 2012 model year to offer something they should of in the first place, most of us enthusiasts that would of bought a manual in the Titanium have already made our purchase.

Some went to the competition and some are stuck with the automatics because we didn't have the choice.

BTW, it will be the same 5 speed manual as in the SE.

• Like 2

Mustang and Mustang GT are just different trim levels, but the 5.0 costs more to insure.

There is also a long history of Mustang GTs versus non GTs. There is no such history with the Focus ST vs. the regular Focus.

I'm not saying it can't be higher, just that it's not a given.

There is also a long history of Mustang GTs versus non GTs. There is no such history with the Focus ST vs. the regular Focus.

I'm not saying it can't be higher, just that it's not a given.

Insurance companies aren't stupid; they know it costs significantly more to repair/replace a $27k Focus ST than a $17k Focus SE.

• Like 2

WOW! Hopefully now people will buy them. Otherwise the manual cause willl take a hard blow to the face. Wonder why they just would'nt make it optional in the SEL also. I also wonder if this does sell could it effect the Escape and the Fusion as far as availability goes.

whilst I totally applaud this, in my opinion its bitter sweet.....6 speed please...this is atune to regressing to a 4 speed Auto....oh well...clap clap, thankyou for LISTENING ford....ot may be a small take rate, but at least the option is there...

whilst I totally applaud this, in my opinion its bitter sweet.....6 speed please...this is atune to regressing to a 4 speed Auto....oh well...clap clap, thankyou for LISTENING ford....ot may be a small take rate, but at least the option is there...

Four-speed autos are elite now, according to some here... well, exactly one... :ohsnap:

Dean, any prediction as to what the product mix may be between Titanium autos and manuals? And any insight as to why they may have skipped right over SEL?

Four-speed autos are elite now, according to some here... well, exactly one... :ohsnap:

Dean, any prediction as to what the product mix may be between Titanium autos and manuals? And any insight as to why they may have skipped right over SEL?

cant offer any input, I just found out about this this morning. My guess is the take will probably be miniscule, but at least its there....and in conjunction with the Titanium handling package could be a blast...BUT, my fingers are crossed it will also be mated with the 1.6 eco engine....perhaps, just perhaps this is a sign that may actually eventuate

My Ford Touch, Sony Radio at least.

w 10 speakers, rear disc brakes, Dual Zone EATC, cruise , Black surround lighting, Ambient, MyFord$hit, Rear spoiler, 17 inch wheels, power 1 touch on all windows, Garage door opener, Leather wrapped steering wheel.....all standard.....