Ford Expands Manual Trans Availability In Focus

Just read in the Toronto Star that Ford Canada states 1/3rd of Focus sales are Titanium.

A base spec'd Focus Titanium sedan MSRP including freight, fees and sales tax is USD$29,600.00, 5 door hatch USD$30,350.00

I am really surprised that the usually very frugal Canadian shoppers are buying Titanium spec Focus at this rate.

If you compare the competition, the Titanium isn't far off the mark between a Mazda3 GT or Corolla XRS or Cruze LTZ or Civic Si/CSX or Elantra Limited. When I did my comparison shopping, the Focus was mid-point in price, and it offered a heck of a lot more features than the rest of the competition.

In terms of what's on the road in my area, it seems like a fair mix.

Whomever wrote that hack piece in WSJ called 'Focuses piling up' was dead wrong. Import loving California shoppers are buying, and not with heavy incentives. Profits are more important than being #1 as some want at any cost.

I see that Ford is now offering $1500 cash back on 2012 Focus. That makes an SE with Sports Package even more tempting.

• Like 2

I thought most cars shipped now with 50-state compatible emission controls? :headscratch:

One of the last regional differences in new car shipping seems to be the front license plate bracket, a necessary evil here in the Buckeye state.

Wow, I couldn't live with having to put a license plate on front bumper, especially my Boxster. I'd have to move to another state first or end up in :angry2:

Wow, I couldn't live with having to put a license plate on front bumper, especially my Boxster. I'd have to move to another state first or end up in :angry2:

It's not that big of a deal, really. We have it in MO too, and it hasn't bothered me in the least bit.

Interestingly enough, my F250 doesn't require a rear plate since it is licensed for 18k lbs. I guess they figure with that amount of weight, most of the time you will have a trailer hooked up (which I only do maybe 10% of the time). 6k and 12k licensed trucks get front and rear, 18k and up get front only.

Why, what's the big deal?

MI hasn't required front license plates for many decades, and doesn't issue new plates every year, only stick on tabs. As I remember way back when, car washes bend up front plates pretty good, stones and bugs make front plates super smarmy after one short summer, and there is nothing attractive about hunk of tin hanging off front bumper. On my Boxster, I filled in the holes with color matched plugs to give the bumper a very finished look and on my Taurus you can barely tell there is anything to mount front plate to. When you are used to that very finished look upfront, no way can you go back to hunk of tin hanging off front bumper. Might as well put bumper stickers on your back bumper. Look about just as bad to my eyes. There would probably be a revolution here if MI tried to go back to that smarmy look. I wonder how many states require front plates? Come to think of it, my back Taurus plate has about 25 tabs placed over each other as it looks like huge glob on back. That plate was on my '85 Bronco ll XLT, '97 Taurus GX, '99 Taurus SE, and now '02 Taurus SES Sport.

I wonder how many states require front plates?

North Dakota requires plates be visible from the front and rear of the vehicle. What some of the owners of classic cars have done is stuck the front plate in the front window. As long as the tilt isn't too severe, most cops let that go.

On the tag front, ND recently passed a law requiring your tag to be in the upper right corner. You can now be cited if you don't have it there. They can't pull you over for that, but they can tack that on when you are pulled over.

North Dakota requires plates be visible from the front and rear of the vehicle. What some of the owners of classic cars have done is stuck the front plate in the front window. As long as the tilt isn't too severe, most cops let that go.

On the tag front, ND recently passed a law requiring your tag to be in the upper right corner. You can now be cited if you don't have it there. They can't pull you over for that, but they can tack that on when you are pulled over.

Yeah, I've entered a couple Porsche concour shows and there is a new definition to the word "clean" there. Doesn't sound like fun getting front bumper clean around front license plate. Better just to take it off and put it somewhere else as you suggested they do in ND. I know it's hard enough getting all four alloy wheels clean behind turbo twists and getting the wheel wells spotless and every nook and cranny on vehicle spotless. Good exercise though. On back plates in MI, tab has to be placed on upper right corner and the rear plates still look good after even twenty years since road debris really doesn't get to them over time. The color probably fades a little, but that is it. I have the Mackinaw Bridge plates and the color contrast is still ok.

On a Mustang, you have to put screws through the bumper cover to mount the license plate bracket. I just couldn't bring myself to do that so I bought a bracket that clamps to the lower grill opening. It cost $60 but it was worth not having to mar the front bumper.

I'm with you, that very thought terrified me as well. When I went to order my Stang, they claimed they could dealer trade for one that was at another dealership about 40 miles away, it matched perfectly options-wise. I checked, and that dealership had already used the holes in the front bumper and put a plastic plate in the holder with their dealership's name on it. Needless to say, I declined and proceeded with a factory order with specific instructions on not molesting the bumper when it came in.

Edited by OHV 16V

I'm with you, that very thought terrified me as well. When I went to order my Stang, they claimed they could dealer trade for one that was at another dealership about 40 miles away, it matched perfectly options-wise. I checked, and that dealership had already used the holes in the front bumper and put a plastic plate in the holder with their dealership's name on it. Needless to say, I declined and proceeded with a factory order with specific instructions on not molesting the bumper when it came in.

Three states so far requiring tacky front license plates....OH, TX, and ND.

Three states so far requiring tacky front license plates....OH, TX, and ND.

In the United States, 19 states – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia – do not require an official front license plate, nor do the U.S. Virgin Islands or the territory of Puerto Rico.

In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.

In Massachusetts, certain old rear-only plates are grandfathered, but newly-issued registrations require both front and rear plates.

Add MO to the list requiring front plates as well.

MO tried moving the tags from the center of the plate to the lower corner (can't remember left or right). Problem is, it was too easy for thieves to just clip the corner of the plate off and have the tag, so now the tags have been moved back to the middle.

• Like 1

In the United States, 19 states – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia – do not require an official front license plate, nor do the U.S. Virgin Islands or the territory of Puerto Rico.

In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.

In Massachusetts, certain old rear-only plates are grandfathered, but newly-issued registrations require both front and rear plates.

Thanks for the info. Surprised in that I thought it would be at least half of states that don't require them. Guess I could live with it if plate was in rubberized holder trimmed nicely and clear lens over it. Still would be tacky though. Sure hope the cops in states that require them don't go farther and ask for front plates to be illuminated like the rear. They could use the argument that it could cut down police chases in that they get their number and pick them up later. Legislators certainly are prolific at coming up with new laws all the time as if present laws are enforced. Let's see now....let me give this guy going 7mph over speed limit a $175 ticket while ignoring the guy who just passed using left turning lane only and may have just robbed party store and pistol whipped the clerk. That could be more dangerous and I'm retiring in 6 months at 48 with $60,000/year pension and full health care paid for by taxapayers. You gotta love it.

Come to think of it, my back Taurus plate has about 25 tabs placed over each other as it looks like huge glob on back. That plate was on my '85 Bronco ll XLT, '97 Taurus GX, '99 Taurus SE, and now '02 Taurus SES Sport.

Impossible. The plates were replaced in 2007 with a new style.

http://michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_1607-158257--,00.html

Thanks OHV 16V. Here's a map depiction:

USA_GEN_Req.gif

Here's hoping that ALL U.S. states will be colored blue on this map someday! Mandatory front license plates for passenger cars and light trucks must rank as one of the most inane motor vehicle laws ever in the states that impose that requirement.

Edited by aneekr

MI hasn't required front license plates for many decades, and doesn't issue new plates every year, only stick on tabs. As I remember way back when, car washes bend up front plates pretty good, stones and bugs make front plates super smarmy after one short summer, and there is nothing attractive about hunk of tin hanging off front bumper. On my Boxster, I filled in the holes with color matched plugs to give the bumper a very finished look and on my Taurus you can barely tell there is anything to mount front plate to. When you are used to that very finished look upfront, no way can you go back to hunk of tin hanging off front bumper. Might as well put bumper stickers on your back bumper. Look about just as bad to my eyes. There would probably be a revolution here if MI tried to go back to that smarmy look. I wonder how many states require front plates? Come to think of it, my back Taurus plate has about 25 tabs placed over each other as it looks like huge glob on back. That plate was on my '85 Bronco ll XLT, '97 Taurus GX, '99 Taurus SE, and now '02 Taurus SES Sport.

I say again... what's the big deal?

Is the mustang in the banner graphic transformed from a shimmering icon of American muscle to a hideous gargoyle by its front plate? I bet you never even noticed it was there before I pointed it out.

If the front plate bothers you, you're probably ADD and need to learn to ignore the tiny details. One week and you won't even notice it.

In PR not only do they not require front license plates, they are apparently okay with you having front license plates from other parts of the universe. I saw a Nissan that had a Chinese license plate on the front.

When I was doing my undergrad, I saw more than a few cars (usually VW Group cars, but some BMWs) with US state rear plates (don't recall them all) but European-style front plates. Not sure if that was a novelty item or a car registered in both places.

SN: not that you care, but whoever voted you down on this post is a tool.

Thanks OHV 16V. Here's a map depiction:

USA_GEN_Req.gif

Here's hoping that ALL U.S. states will be colored blue on this map someday! Mandatory front license plates for passenger cars and light trucks must rank as one of the most inane motor vehicle laws ever in the states that impose that requirement.

You can not see any reason that a front plate might come in handy to law enforcement? Really! Maybe you should think a little harder. Denying a tool to all cops because some don't do there job properly is moronic. I suppose whatever profession you are in is full of all hardworking , honest, rulefollowing perfectionists. And the whole argument is pointless anyway because it is not the cops in any given state that decide wheather there is a front plate or not. It is the politicians, now if you want to get on them for not doing there job properly I will be right with you. But front plates are not one of there mistakes. Finally what is the big deal anyway? If you live in a state where they are required you really don't even notice them because you are so used to them being there.

You can not see any reason that a front plate might come in handy to law enforcement? Really! Maybe you should think a little harder. Denying a tool to all cops because some don't do there job properly is moronic. I suppose whatever profession you are in is full of all hardworking , honest, rulefollowing perfectionists. And the whole argument is pointless anyway because it is not the cops in any given state that decide wheather there is a front plate or not. It is the politicians, now if you want to get on them for not doing there job properly I will be right with you. But front plates are not one of there mistakes. Finally what is the big deal anyway? If you live in a state where they are required you really don't even notice them because you are so used to them being there.

It helps if you're cruising through a parking lot running tag numbers and some people are backed into their spots. Otherwise, when do you need to read a license plate? When you're chasing someone and most people don't run from the police in reverse. I've never heard a cop in GA complain because cars don't have front license plates. They do ruin the styling of certain vehicles especially sleek sports cars and IMO they're just not necessary.

• Like 2

It helps if you're cruising through a parking lot running tag numbers and some people are backed into their spots. Otherwise, when do you need to read a license plate? When you're chasing someone and most people don't run from the police in reverse. I've never heard a cop in GA complain because cars don't have front license plates. They do ruin the styling of certain vehicles especially sleek sports cars and IMO they're just not necessary.

Checking for tag numbers in the rearview mirror would be my guess.