Chinese Automaker Copies F-150

Leftlane Article

jac-2_653.jpg

The JAC 4R3, which will debut in April at the Beijing Motor Show, is more than slightly inspired by the Ford F-150 SuperCrew sold in North America. From head to toe, the 4R3 is almost identical to the Ford , although JAC is not one of the Michigan automaker’s partners in China.
Edited by BORG

wow, they can do that?

For the most part, Korea and China do not respect intellectual property or registered designs,

I'm just surprised that they took so long to copy F150 and while we may have contempt for this

truck, the best we can hope for is that it fails because if it is even part way successful, it will

severely undercut anything Ford, GM or Chrysler can build.

No doubt this truck will have some serious deficiencies because it is a first off attempt from

a manufacturer with no long term experience developing a truck this size, my biggest fear is

that they will persist until they get it right and start attracting real customer volume.

No doubt this truck will have some serious deficiencies because it is a first off attempt from

a manufacturer with no long term experience developing a truck this size, my biggest fear is

that they will persist until they get it right and start attracting real customer volume.

Well if they come to the North American market with it, I fully expect Ford to sue the living shit out of them...

Well if they come to the North American market with it, I fully expect Ford to sue the living shit out of them...

They can try but the big problem with doing that is you create even more publicity for your rival

and what happens if Ford loses the case or gets less than a satisfactory outcome?

Again, the best they can hope for is to stop it in its tracks, anything less and the Chinese

will start taking market share, imagine a truck that undercuts high series F150 by say $8K-$10K

that may or may not concern Ford but it would certainly send a shiver down the Mid Sized truck market...

But that's getting ahead of where the truck is at the moment...a lot of road blocks and hurdles until it becomes a threat.

Edited by jpd80

For the most part, Korea and China do not respect intellectual property or registered designs,

I'm just surprised that they took so long to copy F150 and while we may have contempt for this

truck, the best we can hope for is that it fails because if it is even part way successful, it will

severely undercut anything Ford, GM or Chrysler can build.

I really really doubt they copied F150's design/structure, maybe just the exterior styling. This may not even be a F150 sized truck: it's powered by a diesel with 108hp/177lbft (if the article is right). That's on par/worse than the 2.5 I4 & 1.6 EB in the new Escape. How do you reduce weight of a F150 (or similar sized pick up) by 1500lbs+?

I really really doubt they copied F150's design/structure, maybe just the exterior styling. This may not even be a F150 sized truck: it's powered by a diesel with 108hp/177lbft (if the article is right). That's on par/worse than the 2.5 I4 & 1.6 EB in the new Escape. How do you reduce weight of a F150 (or similar sized pick up) by 1500lbs+?

Which could pose more of a threat to Mid Sized Truck sellers than to the F150, did Ford see

"this situation" coming and opted out of the Mid Sized market because of increased competition?

Edited by jpd80

And another article about our failure to enforce trade legislation effectively causing a loss of jobs http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2012/01/31/report-illegal-chinese-trade.html?ana=yfcpc. Hate to open a can of worms but ineffective trade agreements/enforcement, the stealing of intellectual property or designs and the inefficiencies of our tax codes that ends up partially subsidizing the off shoring of jobs and/or profits is it any wonder the middle class is being squeezed? Its immigrants aren't "stealing jobs" other countries are sometimes with the active participation of U.S. corporations or private equity funds.

They used bamboo as material. Like my cutting board.

Which could pose more of a threat to Mid Sized Truck sellers than to the F150, did Ford see

"this situation" coming and opted out of the Mid Sized market because of increased competition?

It's probably Hilux-sized; doesn't look as stupid-wide as the F-150. I think we will see Chinese econoboxes and minivans long before Chinese pickups.

• Like 1

Isn't JAC the partner of Ford Joint venture in China. I remember Transit are made by Ford JAC.

By the way, If Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan can not copy F-150 successfully, no one can copy F-150. F-150 is too good to be copied

weiweishen, you're probably thinking of JMC - Jiangling Motors Corporation Limited. That's the company that has a JV with Ford Motor Company to produce Transits for the China domestic market. It is distinct from JAC.

And yes, the F-150 is too good to be copied - whether by JAC or anyone else.

You're really asking that about a company from a country full of companies that routinely get busted for adding toxic substances to food products for pets and humans alike? Hell, the cab structure is probably made of tracing paper...

And if they do try to bring this truck to any other country (well, at least a country with a functional legal system), Ford will be all over them like a cheap suit. Ask Toyota about this--and all they tried to do was use a name (T-100) similar to the F-150's. (Of course, Toyota turned that one around on Ford a few years later, so I ended up driving an LS instead of an LS8...)

You're really asking that about a company from a country full of companies that routinely get busted for adding toxic substances to food products for pets and humans alike? Hell, the cab structure is probably made of tracing paper...

And if they do try to bring this truck to any other country (well, at least a country with a functional legal system), Ford will be all over them like a cheap suit. Ask Toyota about this--and all they tried to do was use a name (T-100) similar to the F-150's. (Of course, Toyota turned that one around on Ford a few years later, so I ended up driving an LS instead of an LS8...)

This pick up truck is probably very close spec. to the US F150. Ford probably knew and approved of it.

The American consumer loves their cheap Chinese products. If something like this or other Chinese automobiles appear for thousands less then comparable American/Japanese/South Korean vehicles people will be rushing out to buy them. Walmart has built quite a business peddling the worse of the worse Chinese products and people keep coming back. If or when... more then likely when... China starts importing vehicles everyone else will be worried... very worried.

This pick up truck is probably very close spec. to the US F150. Ford probably knew and approved of it.

It's entirely possible that they have some kind of licensing deal with Ford, but, given the way Chinese industry tends to work, that's about as safe an assumption as assuming that the Dallas Cowboys are coming back to win the Super Bowl next week. Barring that licensing deal, the idea that it's even close to spec for an '88 Ranger, let alone a current F-150, is even more laughable, IMHO.