Ford Working on Radical New Mustang

Source: WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303815404577335980934741136.html?mod=ITP_marketplace_0

Old Mustang Is Put Out to Pasture

As Baby Boomers Reminisce, Ford Aims to Save Brand With European Look to Draw Younger Buyers

For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.

The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people familiar with Ford's plans said. The next generation would retain the shark-nosed grille and round headlights, but would look more like the new Ford Fusion than the current Mustang, these people said.

The change is part of a bid to make the Mustang appeal to Generation Y, the roughly 80 million people who were born between 1980 and 1999. This demographic group is entering its peak car-buying years. Cars that their parents drive—and hark back to the days of Woodstock, 20 years before they were born—don't really interest them.

The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall.

A Ford spokesman said he couldn't comment on Ford's product plans for the Mustang.

Changing the Mustang's look is a risky move for Ford because the car has such a big following, said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with researcher IHS Automotive Inc. "Ford has had so much success with [the retro Mustang], there is significant risk of going somewhat away from it," she said. "You have to evolve the design, but it is a risk to change it too fast or radically."

Baby boomers are still an important demographic. They drove booms in minivans, sport-utility vehicles and luxury cars in addition to retro models. But with the oldest boomers now retired, that generation is near the end of its run as hard-charging car consumers.

The average Mustang buyer today is 51 years old, Mr. Edwards said. They fall into the category of "near-luxury" consumers in terms of spending habits and tend to include more men than women. They like power and performance, he said.

Lee Stewart a 45-year-old accountant from Bristow, Va., just ordered a 2013 Mustang GT convertible, and loves the current, 1960s look. The Evos concept car, he added, is "a beautiful automobile, but it isn't a Mustang."

But for Adam Perito, 32, a recruiter who is on the leading edge of Generation Y, the current Mustang is great and he is looking to buy one, but "the new one looks pretty sweet. Maybe I should wait until it comes out."

Edit: 2011 Evos concept car:

Ford-EVOS-Concept-Car-111.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious

Yeah, you put the Evos cues on a long hood/short deck shape, and pow. Hit.

Also, I would argue that the Evos is not particularly European in that 'sports car' is something of a universal style albeit one that originated more or less in Europe. I mean you can trace signature elements that say 'go fast' on the Evos to all sorts of places. The '63 'Vette, the 300 SL, the E-Type, the '53 Vette, etc.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

And for those who must needs look to the past, this isn't the first time that Ford's pushed the segment in a new direction. The Fox body Mustang was a radical departure from its predecessor too. And it made the Camaro & Firebird look like dinosaurs.

Edited by RichardJensen

Good, embrace the era you inhabit and progress, just focus on good design. American car makers have a nasty impulse to choose design regression and nostalgia over progress and innovation. It's a cultural curiosity (the past = better) that doesn't translate globally. The same is true for American architecture, but that's another story. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine ;).

That being said, it's still very possibly to evoke the Mustang in good modern design, without appearing like a gimmick as it does on the current car (grille fog lights don't work if you have HIDs guys, get rid of 'em).

Edited by BORG

It's not just American ones. Volkswagen and Fiat come to mind.

Mercedes SLS is another culprit, and it's dang ugly in an expensive (I'd still take one) kind of way.

The Beetle is a product of the 90's retro fixation as well, spearheaded by our own J. Mays. It's too bad VW didn't leave it dead, but they did a better job with it the 2nd time. Still, I can't stand the sight of that thing and it's blunt retro cutesy completely illogical packaging.

I don't get the Fiat 500 thing, other than the fact that it's a cheap B-car that cleverly works around it's budget image by being a cultural phenomenon.

Edited by BORG

And for those who must needs look to the past, this isn't the first time that Ford's pushed the segment in a new direction. The Fox body Mustang was a radical departure from its predecessor too. And it made the Camaro & Firebird look like dinosaurs.

I remember how shocking the '79 Mustang was in that it had almost nothing in its styling that said Mustang. No running horse in the grille, no triple section taillights, no side scoop. You could have easily put a Toyota badge on it and called it a Celica.

As much as I love the current retro style, I agree it is time to move forward. I do hope that Ford will at least keep some of the Mustang cues that make the car instantly recognizable as a Mustang.

• Like 1

It was a very different time in 1978. The Mustang II recorded strong sales when it debuted for the 1974 model year, but that was fueled in large part by the Arab Oil Embargo in the fall of 1973. Sales fell by almost half the next year, and hovered around that lower level for the rest of its life span.

The Camaro and Firebird, on the other hand, despite having been on the market since early 1970, were setting sales records during 1977-79.

Most of us were quite happy to see the Mustang II go away in the fall of 1978. I'm not sensing that anyone is that tired of the current Mustang.

The whole idea of "retro" styling had a different meaning in the late 1970s. The personal luxury cars of the 1970s, with their long hoods, short decks, upright grilles and opera windows were meant to recall the classic cars of the 1930s and early 1940s. By the late 1970s, that styling direction had largely run its course. People were open to the next "big thing" in car styling, which, at that time meant a more European emphasis (not much side sculputuring, taller greenhouse, lower beltline, less curvature in the side glass, more upright windshield). Again, I'm not sensing what, exactly, the next direction in automotive styling will be. And the emphasis on retro styling hasn't been as widespread this time around. The Mustang is now viewed as a speciality model, whereas in the 1970s, personal luxury cars were strong sellers at GM and Ford, and those styling cues were being used throughout the lineup. The Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme was the nation's best-selling car for most of the late 1970s. This time around, Ford isn't applying retro styling cues to the Fusion or Taurus.

I'm hoping that Ford doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water...there need to be some definite Mustang styling cues on the new model.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

public and the press sang praises for the little Mustang II. After all, a car with excellent fuel efficiency, sporty looks and a low price tag will always find acceptance. Mustang II was a success, simply because it was the right car at the right time."

The whole idea of "retro" styling had a different meaning in the late 1970s.

I'm hoping that Ford doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water...there need to be some definite Mustang styling cues on the new model.

How can you have retro on a car that was only 15 years old at the time? That would be like making the 2005 Fusion look like a 1990s Taurus.

I don't think Ford is going to screw up the new Mustang...It just needs to have a long hood, short deck and maybe C scoops on the side to make it a "Mustang"

With some tweeks the Evos will look like a "Mustang" without taking a second look.

Mustang sales in 2006: 166,530

Mustang sales in 2010: 70,438

How much more sensing is needed?

Uh no Camaro or Challenger, Crappy Economy, etc? The Mustang doesn't give up anything to those cars performance wise...and styling is subjective. The current styling might be played out as far as it goes, but it still looks good.

Its not like this segment is like the compact or mid-sized car market

Mixed feelings on this. While I agree that Ford has to look ahead to a new generation of buyers, I'd hate to walk away from some of the traditional Mustang styling cues. The front end of a Mustang is 100% unique. Even the most non-car person in the world can recognize a Mustang by its front end. I hope that the front end can be modernized without abandoning the basic character that makes it a Mustang.

Even the most non-car person in the world can recognize a Mustang by its front end. I hope that the front end can be modernized without abandoning the basic character that makes it a Mustang.

I don't think its going to be an issue...the 5 point trapezoidal that is part of the Kinientic styling can be stretched into a Mustang opening no problem

The personal luxury cars of the 1970s, with their long hoods, short decks, upright grilles and opera windows were meant to recall the classic cars of the 1930s and early 1940s.

How can you have retro on a car that was only 15 years old at the time?

To clarify for grbeck. he's talking about Lincolns and Cadillacs having design cues that date to the 30s, and attempting to evoke that era:

mark51977midnightblue.jpg

(There were sundry other more blatant and more disco-ey and more appalling attempts to trade off the Art Deco era, but for the sake of your eyeballs I will refrain from showing them. If you would like one example, google "Bustleback Seville")

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1