Ford Working on Radical New Mustang

As far as the placement of that cross member goes, most do put it under the floor, but we're quickly approaching the day when such compromises are no longer acceptable. If Ford really plans to shed as much weight as they say, they're going to need to change the standard of what they consider acceptable. Comvention is dead.

which cross member? all new cars have major cross members in the roof as well as in the Floor.

So how is a perimeter frame comparable to a unibody structure? Apples to Oranges...

don't be a Richard.

there is no correlation between a well designed Hatchback and well designed sedan in Side impact tests.

Edited by Biker16

don't be a Richard.

there is no correlation between a well designed Hatchback and well designed sedan in Side impact tests.

Actually, there is: it's called "well designed", but I guess that's so obvious you missed it. It works like this: if they're well-designed, then they will each have good side-impact ratings, but if they're not, the ratings won't be as good. :)

Physics being relative, a sedan designed by the same team with the same effort put forth will perform better in crash tests than a hatchback of the same size and weight.

Rubbish, Focus Hatch is just as safe as Focus sedan and Stationwagon.

Pinning your argument on a piddling piece of 1 mm sheet across the rear of the seat makes no appreciable difference in Front and Side crash tests.

The strength of the shell is in the framing and the A, B and C pillars' ability to vector crash force away from the impact site, not a 1mm parcel tray.

Edited by jpd80

The strength of the shell is in the framing and the A, B and C pillars' ability to vector crash force away from the impact site, not a 1mm parcel tray.

Yes indeed. Now the next car gets IRS. Would a hatch require a brace between the two rear spring towers, with the IRS that Ford would probably use? IIRC, Nissan use one in their 370Z.

Yes indeed. Now the next car gets IRS. Would a hatch require a brace between the two rear spring towers, with the IRS that Ford would probably use? IIRC, Nissan use one in their 370Z.

Falcon has fold down rear seats and a parcel tray at the top but the whole IRS bolts into the chassis rails with six bolts,

relocation of the upper latter arm pick up points would help with mustang's unique seating position but also

the spring mount height and forward mounting bolts would all have to be changed, not impossible.

2002.11.18_sus_Ford_FalconXR6Turbo.jpg?OpenElement

Edited by jpd80

Rubbish, Focus Hatch is just as safe as Focus sedan and Stationwagon.

Pinning your argument on a piddling piece of 1 mm sheet across the rear of the seat makes no appreciable difference in Front and Side crash tests.

Considering that none of which are the same size or weight, I don't see how this example is relevant in any way. Furthermore, the entire frame works as a whole. No single element can be isolated from a force that effects another. Edited by Versa-Tech

Considering that none of which are the same size or weight, I don't see how this example is relevant in any way.

What, a Focus Hatch versus a Focus Sedan versus a Focus stationwagon are not comparable?

Edit,

For the record, European and ROW weights of Focus are as follows:

Focus hatch 1.6 1278 Kg

Focus sedan 1339 Kg

Focus s/W 1307 Kg

Furthermore, the entire frame works as a whole. No single element can be isolated from a force that effects another.

But all three body styles have been subjected to a standardized test that confirms that they all crash to 5 stars to NCAP

Not being snippy VT, but I rest my case because the burden of proof now lies with you to prove the contrary.

Cheers,

John

Edited by jpd80

compared to this.

What's your point here? I was just responding to your claim that the current Mustang is a notchback, when it much more closely follows the body lines of the '65 Fastback than it does any notchback. I didn't say anything at all about the Evos...

I just realized that it's the louvers that are hinged on my '69, not the glass. Quite honestly, I think I just opened the decklid for the first time since... Well, ever. :D

So, my next question is... What the hell is the difference between a fastback and a coupe?! Marketing?

The '67-'68 and '71-'73 Mustangs were true Fastbacks as the roofline went straight to the edge of the trunklid. The Notchback Mustangs with the flat trunks were coupes. The '65-'66 2+2 was something in between.

What's your point here? I was just responding to your claim that the current Mustang is a notchback, when it much more closely follows the body lines of the '65 Fastback than it does any notchback. I didn't say anything at all about the Evos...

Agree SoonerLS,

Even before the 65 Mustang 2+2, Ford's fastbacks started in 1963 1/2 with the Falcon/Comet and Galaxie/Marauder (NASCAR inspired, and very effective). Prior it was the "Boxtop" design (Thunderbird inspired). They all had defined trunks. Thus a "fastback" is NOT dependent on a flat continuation from roof to trunk lip.

I do appreciate the functional benefits of a Hatchback. If you only have one car, the hatch is great for the times when you have to haul something that just won't fit in a trunk.

I think it's in the way a hatch back is designed, a hatchback can be made look identical to a fast back

when there's a bustle added to the rear, It's not until you walk up to it and notice it has a hatch in the rear.

And in particular to Mustang, it depends how much versatility is required by buyers versus perception of style.

Ford-Mondeo-2011-4.jpg

Edited by jpd80

I was looking at how the Fins on the Evos reminds me of the original Fastback.

the notch back vs Fastback thing is subjective, I feel the 2005 mustang was inspired by the fastback but for intents and purposes is a notchback. but I digress.