Video - 2013 Ford Escape impresses at the track

svtenthusiast

Huh?

There is an embargo on early reviews, and I don't know when that lifts.

There were two more b-roll films released today as well, which also show off Ford's first DRL LED lamps (thanks Europe!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWralvYhoic&context=C4dd04feADvjVQa1PpcFPu3j2zat1dNIAtjLmaRxn4guhACW0v4mI=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPN24aJVVw&context=C4d09225ADvjVQa1PpcFPu3j2zat1dNIi2hCjKZ1CEnK1nvK4cJGI=

Edited by BORG

Thanks for posting, Borg. Is it just me, or am I hearing turbos spooling up when it's accelerating up to the lead vehicle? Well done scenic videos. Awsome!

Yep, that's the 2.0L Turbo. You can sorta hear that DI ticking sound as well, but it spools up pretty silently.

And indeed, nice scenic tour of SF :)

I'm not surprised with the comments about it feelign substantial, solid and all grown up, similar was said about the Evoque, I'm expecting the performance to be as brisk as well.

This car is going to be a quantum leap over the outgoing car, I can't wait to test it out.

Good ole CR being quick to say the Honda CRv has better rear passenger space. The new Escape is a fail already with CR, less space,

MyFordTouch too far away, rear seats hard and uncomfortable, and too expensive.

Edited by MKII

Good ole CR being quick to say the Honda CRv has better rear passenger space. The new Escape is a fail already with CR, less space,

MyFordTouch too far away, rear seats hard and uncomfortable, and too expensive.

This is why I pay zero attention to what CR has to say. They always have and always will be Ford haters. Come to think of it I'm not sure they have much of anything good to say about any American auto product. They've been drunk on Honda Kool Aide for years and years.

You'd think CR was eating a turd while trying to give a report. They kept trying to put a lot of "buts" in there. Like there were really trying to not like it, but just couldn't say it. So it pissed them off they had to like it.

It's not a Honda/Toyota, so CR is unable to like it.

Any publication that rates and recommends ANY VW, is enough to kill it's own reliability. And time and time again CR has to "explain", how it's criteria is rated and essentially telling you "Predicted reliability", I mean, Miss CLEO might have better odds predicting which vehicles will be a POS than CR can... And again, just like politics, " if your explaining yourself, your losing"...

Plus the fact that one of the Editors wife is a top Toyota executive, is enough to warrant doubt.

This is why I pay zero attention to what CR has to say. They always have and always will be Ford haters. Come to think of it I'm not sure they have much of anything good to say about any American auto product. They've been drunk on Honda Kool Aide for years and years.

It's not a Honda/Toyota, so CR is unable to like it.

I don't know what article you two read but the one linked in the article seems very positive.

That's one interpretation. The other is that the CR-V has better rear passenger space.

True, but so far only CR has made the complaint.

InsideLine said "There's still plenty of room inside, even in the rear seat, which we found to have excellent head- and foot room and decent knee room. The 60/40-split/folding rear seat now has a simple one-touch lever for fold-flat ability, as well as a seatback recline function"

Popular Mechanics said "

Climb into the back and you’ll find a rear seat that reclines and provides plenty of legrorom."

Read how the other reviewers write their opinions, then compare to how CR writes or speaks their constant need to throw in something about Honda or Toyota.

Usual 1st drive reviews generally write an overview on whats what, and leave their comparo opinions for when they actually test the car for more then a 1 hour drive event.

Edited by MKII

True, but so far only CR has made the complaint.

InsideLine said "There's still plenty of room inside, even in the rear seat, which we found to have excellent head- and foot room and decent knee room. The 60/40-split/folding rear seat now has a simple one-touch lever for fold-flat ability, as well as a seatback recline function"

Popular Mechanics said "

Climb into the back and you’ll find a rear seat that reclines and provides plenty of legrorom."

Read how the other reviewers write their opinions, then compare to how CR writes or speaks their constant need to throw in something about Honda or Toyota.

Usual 1st drive reviews generally write an overview on whats what, and leave their comparo opinions for when they actually test the car for more then a 1 hour drive event.

They didn't say "there's not much room in the back of the Escape." They said the CR-V -- which is one of the roomiest cars in its class -- had even more.

And seeing as they had the test Escape on their private test track, where they may still own a CR-V for back-to-back comparison, I'd say they had grounds to make that statement. This was no one-hour preview in an unfamiliar area.

They didn't say "there's not much room in the back of the Escape." They said the CR-V -- which is one of the roomiest cars in its class -- had even more.

And seeing as they had the test Escape on their private test track, where they may still own a CR-V for back-to-back comparison, I'd say they had grounds to make that statement. This was no one-hour preview in an unfamiliar area.

I understand, you don't get it.

This is how CR rolls.

If they had any sense of not being so biased, they would/could of just said, the new Escape rear cabin space is not as spacious as some of its competitors. Get it?

http://www.autoblog....e-review-video/ Autoblog liked it as well...

Why is it so baffling to reviewers who criticize the Escape as too expensive when fully equipped? Over and over and over again I hear this in every review of a Ford product. Ford offers more and more content and all reviewers can do is look at the top-end price and conclude it's now too expensive. It's annoying to me because I always buy the full-loaded models and I WANT that content. The more you add to a car, the happier I am. If I want something cheaper, I choose the cheaper model, give me a break already. The Escape adds TONS more standard content, not to mention a much more sophisticated overall engineering package, for the same price. And if you want even more goodies, you have the option to pay for them. This is not complicated, I wish more reviewers would herald the era of more choice with less arbitrary content limitations.

Why is it so baffling to reviewers who criticize the Escape as too expensive when fully equipped? Over and over and over again I hear this in every review of a Ford product. Ford offers more and more content and all reviewers can do is look at the top-end price and conclude it's now too expensive. It's annoying to me because I always buy the full-loaded models and I WANT that content. The more you add to a car, the happier I am. If I want something cheaper, I choose the cheaper model, give me a break already. The Escape adds TONS more standard content, not to mention a much more sophisticated overall engineering package, for the same price. And if you want even more goodies, you have the option to pay for them. This is not complicated, I wish more reviewers would herald the era of more choice with less arbitrary content limitations.

I find it amazing that Ford is no critisized for putting so much content in vehicles and and then charging for it.

It's as though they expect the Ford brand to stay as a bargain basement brand selling to fleets..

• Like 1

I agree. Ford is raising the bar at the same time they're keeping it low. They compete with every non luxury CUV manufacturer by offering a base price range between $22470 and $30695. From what I could tell from the auto show, it beats Kia or Hyundai hands down, will make someone take a much harder look and move away from a Chevy, Honda or Toyota and doesn't try to compete with Lincoln, Cadillac or Lexus.