Ford preparing fastest ever four-door

Ford preparing fastest ever four-door—in Australia

Ford's struggling Australian outpost is set to unleash its fastest-accelerating car yet in the form of a limited- edition version of the four-door Falcon GT Boss 335 sedan running various chassis-based performance enhancements, according to Australian media reports.

Story here: http://www.autoweek....RNEWS/120709988

• Like 1

placing it in the same performance league as the more celebrated Audi RS6, BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG sedans.

In related news Lincoln is planning a RWD performance sedan, to people who say it would take years for Lincoln to be credible...........I say it would take a few seconds!

...In related news Lincoln is planning a RWD performance sedan, to people who say it would take years for Lincoln to be credible...........I say it would take a few seconds!

2ic5rw7.jpg yup & POTW...

...4.7 seconds to be exact

:D

Yep, this baby has the goods to embarrass Chevrolet's SS big time.

Ford's last RWD sedan survives in Australia for now and is dependent on Ford's future plans with D/E cars.

As we know already there are "Global Platforms" and now "Sustaining Platforms", I just hope Falcon can be

saved by sheltering under the Mustang's protected status...

In related news Lincoln is planning a RWD performance sedan, to people who say it would take years for Lincoln to be credible...........I say it would take a few seconds!

I don't see how this equates to Lincoln getting anything anytime soon. And no, slapping a Lincoln grille on this car wouldn't make them any more credible in the least.

Edited by NickF1011

I don't see how this equates to Lincoln getting anything anytime soon. And no, slapping a Lincoln grille on this car wouldn't make them any more credible in the least.

Neither do I. However, as you already know, Ford's days of "badge engineering" are over, so you already know that Ford won't be "slapping a Lincoln grille on this car", like GM did with the Holden to create Pontiac and Chev models.

So, like you said, it won't be coming anytime soon. You have to wait for excellence. :)

No, and it's not a badge engineered Mustang either. But there are things that can be shared.

Was a Lincoln Mark VII just a rebadged Fairmont?

Edited by timmm55

Right. That's what SHO has always stood for: a big V8 driving the rear wheels.

A performance RWD sedan doesn't have to be at the expense of the SHO. The SHO needs to be lighter and available with a manual, to get back to it's roots.

The SHO needs to be lighter and available with a manual, to get back to it's roots.

The roots where it was slower than the current one? :headscratch: What it comes down to is the Taurus itself isn't what the Taurus used to be. If you really want a smaller, nimbler sedan, the SHO just isn't for you. Try a Fusion Sport/ST/whatever they come out with on for size instead -- it would be much more similar in size and performance to the older (*cough* slower *cough*) SHO's.

Edited by NickF1011

The roots where it was slower than the current one? :headscratch: What it comes down to is the Taurus itself isn't what the Taurus used to be. If you really want a smaller, nimbler sedan, the SHO just isn't for you. Try a Fusion Sport/ST/whatever they come out with on for size instead -- it would be much more similar in size and performance to the older (*cough* slower *cough*) SHO's.

WTF does slower have to do with it? A 94 Mustang is slower than the current Mustang also. As are virtually all cars a decade later. Duh. A 94 SHO was quick for it's time and era, it would embarrass many other 4 door sedans costing 2X, and as a FWD 4 door sport sedan few could touch it.

If the next Taurus is based off the Mondeo/Fusion it will certainly be lighter. In that regard the next new Taurus won't be "what the Taurus used to be" (as in now) either.....but more like the original. Yes the Fusion Sport is closer to the original, still no manual........nor is it a Taurus. Add in that the next Fusion won't even have a V6, it makes a good case for a revived SHO Taurus in 2014/5.

Edited by timmm55
  • Like 1

WTF does slower have to do with it? A 94 Mustang is slower than the current Mustang also. A 94 SHO was quick for it's time and era, it would embarrass many other 4 door sedans costing 2X.

If the next Taurus is based off the Mondeo/Fusion it will certainly be lighter. In that regard the next new Taurus won't be "what the Taurus used to be" (as in now) either.....but more like the original. Yes the Fusion Sport is closer to the original, still no manual........nor is it a Taurus.

The next Taurus, no matter what platform it is on, will still be considerably larger and heavier than the early generations that had SHO variants. The Fusion is and will continue to be a much closer match size wise and performance wise (lack of manual notwithstanding) to the original SHO than the current or next gen SHO is or will be. The character of the Taurus has changed. That character isn't going to return to the DN101-and-back era with the redesign either. It's now a full-size car. It will continue to be a full-size car. If you want a mid-size car from Ford, they already have one for you called Fusion. Why get so hung up on the name?

Edited by NickF1011

The next Taurus, no matter what platform it is on, will still be considerably larger and heavier than the early generations that had SHO variants. The Fusion is and will continue to be a much closer match size wise and performance wise (lack of manual notwithstanding) to the original SHO than the current or next gen SHO is or will be. The character of the Taurus has changed. That character isn't going to return to the DN101-and-back era with the redesign either. It's now a full-size car. It will continue to be a full-size car. If you want a mid-size car from Ford, they already have one for you called Fusion. Why get so hung up on the name?

My edit should have make it clearer.

It probably would be heavier, again what isn't a decade later? I'm not hung up a name. It could go on a Fusion........just not the current one or, so far not the next one either as I doubt Ford will allow a V6 Fusion because of the MKZ. There will be a Fusion 1.6EB/manual.......I could almost see that as the spiritual successor to the SHO. The current SHO, which I like a lot, is too much of a luxo-barge. It never should of been called "SHO" IMHO.......great "Taurus GT" though!

Edited by timmm55

My edit should have make it clearer.

It probably would be heavier, again what isn't a decade later? I'm not hung up a name. It could go on a Fusion........just not the current one or, so far not the next one either as I doubt Ford will allow a V6 because of the MKZ.

Ford isn't going to restrict powertrains in the Fusion strictly because of the MKZ. But that said, a performance variant of the Fusion wouldn't necessarily have to be a V6. It could be any number of 4 cylinder turbo combinations and still offer a considble performance upgrade over the standard Fusion. There are also a number of suspension and braking improvements that could be done while not making it step on the heels of any Lincoln.

Ford launched the Focus ST a year after launching the new Focus. The Fiesta ST should arrive shortly after the Fiesta's refresh. I suspect a Fusion ST will arrive a year or so after the Fusion's launch. Should they call it Fusion SHO? No. SHO is strictly a Taurus designation. But that does not mean that the Fusion ST wouldn't be a much truer representation of what the original SHO actually was though.

Now that is being hung up on a name.

Well, has SHO ever been used on another vehicle? It would almost be like offering a Boss Focus. With the rise of the "ST" moniker for their other performance sedans/hatches, "SHO" has become orphaned to the Taurus. I would rather they go with Taurus ST than Fusion SHO simply to keep more constency in the lineup.

Edited by NickF1011

Well, has SHO ever been used on another vehicle? It would almost be like offering a Boss Focus. With the rise of the "ST" moniker for their other performance sedans/hatches, "SHO" has become orphaned to the Taurus. I would rather they go with Taurus ST than Fusion SHO simply to keep more constency in the lineup.

I think Ford could move the SHO moniker to Fusion to demonstrate a change in its status as the flag bearer of Ford's FWD midsized performance car. Taurus could be the Luxury line, not much of a stretch.

I wouldn't say "SHO" is an orphaned name. De Soto and Mercury are orphans, Fireflite and Marquis are their bastard children.

Remember it stands for "Super High Output" it could be a 2.3 EB if it were.

I think Ford could move the SHO moniker to Fusion to demonstrate a change in its status as the flag bearer of Ford's FWD midsized performance car. Taurus could be the Luxury line, not much of a stretch.

I wouldn't say "SHO" is an orphaned name. De Soto and Mercury are orphans, Fireflite and Marquis are their bastard children.

Remember it stands for "Super High Output" it could be a 2.3 EB if it were.

Well, I still foresee there being a performance version of the Taurus though. Why would you not call that one SHO instead? :shrug: Either way, I think we're arguing in circles here.