IL: Escape v. CR-V--CRV Wins, hilarity ensues...

Different strokes for different folks, the CRV is more practical and the Escape is more sporting. It's the same story with the Focus. Don't place too much weight on the opinions of non consumers.

I'm actually impressed with the CRV overall, it looks and feels more upscale than the Escape (and especially the previous CRV). I would still prefer the Escape for it's content since the CRV is just a little too practical and simple.

put the pipe down....CRV is, was and has always been over-rated....barring excessive road noise, bump thump and hollow door slams, where it excels like most hondas.

During 1,328 miles of mixed driving we observed 20.5 mpg in the Escape. Driven largely on the same roads during the same period of time by the same drivers, the CR-V delivered 27.7 mpg over 1,520 miles. It's a difference that's hard to ignore.

Clearly the Honda was driven nearly 200 more miles, was it all downhill?

Actually, with some of the odd Honda interior designs lately, that does look pretty nice.

A few years ago or so, I always thought Subaru became the new AMC. But IMO Honda has taken over that title with its weird exterior and interior designs. Honda seems lost in the wilderness and in need of a compass.

This is "upscale"?

2013-Honda-CRV-interior.jpg

I don't even think the RDX interior looks any better than the Escape's.

Look, Borg thinks it is. He's entitled to his benighted opinion, as am I, and mine is that Honda didn't put one more dime into than they absolutely had to. What an upscale IP — not! :)

http://www.insidelin...ents_sort_form1

-CRV won because it has 2.8cu-ft more cargo space and

-Escape scored 7mpg less in their observed MPG test

-Yes, they compared the 231hp Ecoboost to Honda's 185hp 4

-They cite exterior dimension as the determinant for class taxonomy when its the interior that decides.

correct me also if I am wrong, they mention the Escape is AWD, yet I dont read anything saying the HOON-da was ALSO Awd....huh? Found it, moot question..... Edited by Deanh

2013-Ford-Escape-Interior-Photos-Vew.jpg

Well, this interior completely turned me off the 2013 Escape.. way too much plastic inside

The steering wheel is the same as the Edge, guages are similar too, but that center stack...is awful to me.

Prefer the Edge interior - cleaner lines, simpler in appearance... IMO

Edited by Edgy Girl
  • Like 1

Lets face it, the CRV is still plagued by current Honda cost cutting. Cheap interior materials, 5 speed automatic, engine is just a carry over, not enough sound deadening, bad NVH, no real new technology to brag about, it'll sell mainly on the merits that people will harp that it's reliable. Overall, it already looked dated to me compared to the competition, but it will sell. The (added at the last minute) switched under the gearshift lever, block (DIN) radio/navi, recessed in a cave information screen, and probably an crap load of non-illuminated buttons around the cabin do not impart a quality product from 2010...I would say it does look good for a 2005-2009 product...

Edited by ANTAUS

correct me also if I am wrong, they mention the Escape is AWD, yet I dont read anything saying the HOON-da was ALSO Awd....huh? Found it, moot question.....

They were both AWD.

As I said on IL

I just did a build of the Escape SE with AWD, 1.6 EB, Panorama Roof, Navigation, and the power swipe lift gate and a lot of other stuff............$31500. Cloth seats (which I prefer) but otherwise loaded....not as loaded as a Titanium.

Looking at the local dealerships in San Diego most are all FWD and run $23K-$27K.

The whole premise of this article is contrived. Soccer Moms? In small sporty SUVs? By definition wouldn't they go for larger vehicles with at least 6 passengers? Where do writers come up with these inane user profiles?

The small SUV segment is heavy on the SPORT, here the Escape wins hands down. It out handles, and out performs the CRV. Even in their base FWD versions the Escape will do that. With the Ford you have three engine choices. With the Honda you have one: slow.

BTW the dealer supply on 2013 Escapes is 5 days, the usual is 60. Ford hit the mark. Honda probably did too, as all they had to do is make a mediocre product, and it would sell to the Honda faithful.

Edited by timmm55

2013-Ford-Escape-Interior-Photos-Vew.jpg

Well, this interior completely turned me off the 2013 Escape.. way too much plastic inside

The steering wheel is the same as the Edge, guages are similar too, but that center stack...is awful to me.

Prefer the Edge interior - cleaner lines, simpler in appearance... IMO

:headscratch: Too much plastic compared to what? And that's a different steering wheel from the Edge. You should know that.

:headscratch: Too much plastic compared to what? And that's a different steering wheel from the Edge. You should know that.

61918860.jpg

well the facing is different... but the general style is the same... some extra buttons..

I mean there is more shiny plastic in the Escape..... the kind you can tap on.. and sounds plasticy..

On a side note, my 07 Edge steering wheel is totally different... so I can only vaguely remember my dad's edge which 2011.

I did sit in a pre production Escape at dealer before the week I placed my order.... it did not win me over...

and I wanted to be won over by the Escape...

PS.. and this is not the interior stack with the Nav... I dont like this stack either

Edited by Edgy Girl

61918860.jpg

well the facing is different... but the general style is the same... some extra buttons..

I mean there is more shiny plastic in the Escape..... the kind you can tap on.. and sounds plasticy..

On a side note, my 07 Edge steering wheel is totally different... so I can only vaguely remember my dad's edge which 2011.

I did sit in a pre production Escape at dealer before the week I placed my order.... it did not win me over...

and I wanted to be won over by the Escape...

PS.. and this is not the interior stack with the Nav... I dont like this stack either

sorry, have to dis-agree, theres more hard plastic in the Edge than the Escape, top of the door for instance, also the escape you are talking about has MFT your edge obviously doesnt so of course it "looks" simpler....me Im a fan of simplicity, the less buttons the better....MFT saving grace is the voice prompts for radio stations, Ac and Nav....

Going off topic here but I do have a question: How do folks out there feel about the standard My Ford setup and the MFT setup minus the SONY upgrade? It's clean and simple I admit.

the less small buttons the better IMO.....but i think everyone here know where I stand on how overly complex cars have become. Public demand I know...but theres ( at least to me ) some very questionable options making the checklist lately....

Alright, I was looking at Edgy Girl's centre console and I'm glad to see a clear picture of the setup vice the SONY and MFT I see in press pictures. I don't mind it and I'm a fan of classic twin gauge (Tach and Speedo) setup. To be fair, I took an Edge Sport out for a spin when it came out and that setup was easy to figure out.

sorry, have to dis-agree, theres more hard plastic in the Edge than the Escape, top of the door for instance, also the escape you are talking about has MFT your edge obviously doesnt so of course it "looks" simpler....me Im a fan of simplicity, the less buttons the better....MFT saving grace is the voice prompts for radio stations, Ac and Nav....

I have an Edge and MKX and there is a HUGE difference between the Escape and Edge. The Escape is filled with lots of plastics of different grades and designs, many of them quite cheap. The Edge is most definitely a big step up both in design and quality. The Escape is superb for it's price range, but I would never prefer the Escape interior to the Edge.

Actually, one of my least favorite aspects of the Escape is the batty interior design is, lots of buttons and molded plastic chaos (sames goes for just about all Ford interior design from FoE). That really stands out when you look at the CRV interior which is considerably more mature and upscale (like the Edge). Which is perfectly fine if you successfully target a customer who is likely to be drawn to the expressive design of the Escape dashboard. But for me, it comes off as unsettling and trendy. It's too bad because Ford's cabin tech has really freed Ford up to make brilliantly simple and elegant designs, like the 2013 MKZ.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I have an Edge and MKX and there is a HUGE difference between the Escape and Edge. The Escape is filled with lots of plastics of different grades and designs, many of them quite cheap. The Edge is most definitely a big step up both in design and quality. The Escape is superb for it's price range, but I would never prefer the Escape interior to the Edge.

Actually, one of my least favorite aspects of the Escape is the batty interior design is, lots of buttons and molded plastic chaos (sames goes for just about all Ford interior design from FoE). That really stands out when you look at the CRV interior which is considerably more mature and upscale (like the Edge). Which is perfectly fine if you successfully target a customer who is likely to be drawn to the expressive design of the Escape dashboard. But for me, it comes off as unsettling and trendy. It's too bad because Ford's cabin tech has really freed Ford up to make brilliantly simple and elegant designs, like the 2013 MKZ.

Ahhh... someone who sees what I saw in person. Completely agree!!!

The interior of the Escape was the primary reason I did not order one.

Edited by Edgy Girl

Snobby/snooty replies don't make your point any better...