Next-Gen Edge/MKX

Very cool, it does make me wonder what has happened to this product. Again no sign of it.

I wouldn't really expect to see too many signs of it really. They can use Escapes for most of the testing, so there likely isn't much need for a lot of grueling road miles on prototypes.

I wouldn't really expect to see too many signs of it really. They can use Escapes for most of the testing, so there likely isn't much need for a lot of grueling road miles on prototypes.

Well, we've been seeing prototypes for the 2013 F-150 for a year, and all they did was change a grill. The MKG is more significant than that of course. I'm just disturbed by the lack of any new Lincoln mules/prototypes running around. That just means we are at least a year away from anything hitting the lots besides the MKZ.

Well, we've been seeing prototypes for the 2013 F-150 for a year, and all they did was change a grill. The MKG is more significant than that of course. I'm just disturbed by the lack of any new Lincoln mules/prototypes running around. That just means we are at least a year away from anything hitting the lots besides the MKZ.

Don't get your panties in a bunch...

To refresh your memory:

This:

ford-focus-mule-front-three-quarter.jpg

Became this:

original.jpg

All with in a year and half...

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

Don't get your panties in a bunch...

To refresh your memory:

This:

ford-focus-mule-front-three-quarter.jpg

Became this:

original.jpg

All with in a year and half...

So where is the Escape mule for Lincoln? The Focus didn't go on sale for a more than a year after it's debut btw. So in reality, we had been seeing it for 2+ years before we actually could buy one. I'm just saying that unless we start seeing something, we could be years away from an MKG.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you will see the new MKEscape at this season's auto show circuit and production starting at LAP sometime late spring. So about a year or so as a 2014 model. Ford is rather busy this year with its two major launches, and then it can focus more on the Lincoln version of Escape.

The Focus didn't go on sale for a more than a year after it's debut btw.

No it didn't...it was shown at the 2010 NAIAS, and went into production later that year

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31755

So in reality, we had been seeing it for 2+ years before we actually could buy one. I'm just saying that unless we start seeing something, we could be years away from an MKG.

How much has to be really changed on it? Just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean its not being worked on. Lets see what Auto Show season brings us later this year...

How late did 2013 MKZ prototypes start showing up after the first 2013 Fusion mules? Quite a bit longer than the gap in eventual production launches if memory serves. Remember that none of the "mule" work will really need to be done for the MK"G". All of that was done already for the Escape. We'll see body, powertrain, and interior component testing and that should really be about it -- and all of the powertrain testing could be done with Escapes.

Edited by NickF1011

No it didn't...it was shown at the 2010 NAIAS, and went into production later that year

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=31755

How much has to be really changed on it? Just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean its not being worked on. Lets see what Auto Show season brings us later this year...

My bet is still on late spring 2013 for shipping of Lincoln version as 2014 model. And debut at NAIAS or NYC show.

How late did 2013 MKZ prototypes start showing up after the first 2013 Fusion mules?

Earliest I can tell is September 2011..I forget about when we started seeing the First 2013 Fusion prototypes.

So its been less then a year since we saw the first prototypes of the MKZ...

Earliest I can tell is September 2011..I forget about when we started seeing the First 2013 Fusion prototypes.

So its been less then a year since we saw the first prototypes of the MKZ...

Notice I said Fusion mules, not prototypes. I'm pretty certain Fusion mules were running around with old Mondeo bodies on them well before then. Point is that most or all of that early mule testing doesn't have to occur for a vehicle that is only a reskin of something that has already been thoroughly tested and engineered for production.

Notice I said Fusion mules, not prototypes. I'm pretty certain Fusion mules were running around with old Mondeo bodies on them well before then. Point is that most or all of that early mule testing doesn't have to occur for a vehicle that is only a reskin of something that has already been thoroughly tested and engineered for production.

April of 2011 LOL

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-ford-fusion-spy-photos-news

How late did 2013 MKZ prototypes start showing up after the first 2013 Fusion mules? Quite a bit longer than the gap in eventual production launches if memory serves. Remember that none of the "mule" work will really need to be done for the MK"G". All of that was done already for the Escape. We'll see body, powertrain, and interior component testing and that should really be about it -- and all of the powertrain testing could be done with Escapes.

And the prototypes that did show up had a totally different grille.

^ just imho, MKII,

I think/hope that looooooong C-Max has to be something other than the MKuGa - tho I don't have any idea what.

...That just means we are at least a year away from anything hitting the lots besides the MKZ.

the online document I saw says Q4 2013 for the MKuGa's Job1

&

now I'm wondering if Lincoln will do *exactly* what they did with the Z:

'concept' at coming NAIAS

production at NYC

preliminary configurator July 2013

&

re: the first Z spyshots,

the earliest photo in my CD4 folder is a camo'ed Fusion, downloaded Aug 5, 2011,

the earliest camo'ed Z is Sept 19, 2011,

and I remember some confusion ...it being called a Taurus on Oct 18 (Jalopnik)

and an MKS on Oct 19 (no watermark)...

until a Z testcar with the new MKS/MKT skinny-slat grille was shot (Nov 12, 2011 Automobilemag),

less than 2 months before the first official Z CGI on Jan 9, 2012

(tho there were 2 mostly 'draped' Z clay tail shots with Max Wolff & Mr. Kuzak released on Dec 2, 2011)

Edited by 2b2