2013 MKZ starts at $36,800

You driven a 3.5/3.7 Ford V-6? They are smoother than most V-8's and have excellent fuel economy.

They might be smoother then most V8's, but I can promise they are not smoother then the 5.0 and they sure don't sound as good. One of the best things about driving my Dad's F-150 is the sound of that 5.0. What a smooth nice sounding engine.

• Like 1

to us? very likely

to Fomoco? only if they go back to the 'Gussy-Up' philosophy for Lincoln instead of pursuing real differentiation

& as I said

new 2.3/2.0 4cyl-EB's = 300+hp/280hp

imho which the top Fusion gets may well depend on their MPG's

So does that mean the Taurus SHO goes away at the next redesign? It would be bad if Ford had to stop offering Ford branded performance vehicles to make Lincoln look better.

Edited by 2005Explorer

So does that mean the Taurus SHO goes away at the next redesign? It would be bad if Ford had to stop offering Ford branded performance vehicles to make Lincoln look better.

1) Yes, next gen Taurus is CD4.3 but still several years away....

2) If Lincoln is going to use heavily disguised Ford originators, then they need to keep offering high levels of quality and luxury along with impressive performance.

Cadillac has just spent another bucket load of cash on Alpha to deliver two vehicles it hopes will draw BMW and other luxury car buyers to it,

Ford has gone the more economical route of a shared platform and just one car (MKZ) that offers different options to just performance.

Who's right and wrong doesn't matter because I think they are now chasing buyers with different preferences. While some cross shopping

will no doubt happen, having unaligned vehicles is actually good for both manufacturers allowing both of them to go to work on the imports

without stepping on each others feet so to speak...

Edited by jpd80

So does that mean the Taurus SHO goes away at the next redesign?  It would be bad if Ford had to stop offering Ford branded performance vehicles to make Lincoln look better.

altho the CD4+3 Taurus is still a mystery afaik, the 3.5EB has no exclusivity left for Lincoln ... otoh it'd be interesting if a nextgen MKS-or-replacement was engineered to use the 5.0v8 as a top option

1) Yes, next gen Taurus is CD4.3 but still several years away....

Why would the SHO go away? If anything the Taurus would keep a V6 as an option to help separate it from the Fusion, which is would share a platforms with.

As for a SHO vs ST...I don't think we'll be seeing a EB3.5L in a Fusion ST. You never know, they might go the "quick and dirty" route with a Fusion ST and pop a 3.7L with some minor tweeks and have it put out 320HP or so....a EB3.5L would more or less move the Fusion ST into RS territory....and it might also impact the driving dynamics they might want for the car also, due to weight of the engine.

Seems like Ford wants to market the SHO (esp with the Performance Package) as a car you can haul your kids to school with and then take it to the track and drive it. I see the Fusion ST as a more fun/practical performance sedan, then overall performance champ. I think with about 300HP and a nice suspension setup, you'll have that.

• Like 1

Why would the SHO go away? If anything the Taurus would keep a V6 as an option to help separate it from the Fusion, which is would share a platforms with.

As for a SHO vs ST...I don't think we'll be seeing a EB3.5L in a Fusion ST. You never know, they might go the "quick and dirty" route with a Fusion ST and pop a 3.7L with some minor tweeks and have it put out 320HP or so....a EB3.5L would more or less move the Fusion ST into RS territory....and it might also impact the driving dynamics they might want for the car also, due to weight of the engine.

Seems like Ford wants to market the SHO (esp with the Performance Package) as a car you can haul your kids to school with and then take it to the track and drive it. I see the Fusion ST as a more fun/practical performance sedan, then overall performance champ. I think with about 300HP and a nice suspension setup, you'll have that.

I think it's more likely to see a 2.7EB Fusion Sport or maybe a NA 3.5L or 3.7L.

They might be smoother then most V8's, but I can promise they are not smoother then the 5.0 and they sure don't sound as good. One of the best things about driving my Dad's F-150 is the sound of that 5.0. What a smooth nice sounding engine.

While not a V8 exhaust note by any means, I absolutely love the way the 3.7 in my Edge sounds. Hitting the remote start in a parking garage always elicits a smile. :D

I have no problem with Lincoln "exclusive" engines showing up in very limited numbers in top tier Ford performance versions.

Give them a bit different of a tune.

Nice differentiation from Ford brand, also add to exclusive tag.

No, no, I meant that Yes as in confirming next gen Taurus is on CD4.3 and not to scotch any idea of SHO continuing,

Heck, we've already seen next MKS is getting V6 and AWD so SHO continuing on next gen Taurus is entirely possible / more than likely.

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the place to ask a few 2013 MKZ questions?

1-The 2013 MKZ details always mention remote keyless entry and push button shift but never push-button start. Is push-button start to be assumed? It seems like a dumb question but why mention something as mundane as cup-holders and not push-button start?

2-Are 19" wheels the only size available with the retractable panoramic roof? I thought perhaps because of the weight, but that's the only size available on single-panel moonroof, too.

3-Does late Fall most likely mean Oct.?

I have not seen another vehicle with so much safety equipment. It's great and I can hardly wait to see it. I'm certain I'll buy.

2-Are 19" wheels the only size available with the retractable panoramic roof? I thought perhaps because of the weight, but that's the only size available on single-panel moonroof, too.

I haven't checked out #2 specifically on the BuildIt site but that info is still preliminary anyway

&

3: MKZ StartUP = Oct. 1, 2012

so sometime in November for arrival at dealers if all goes well

Is this the place to ask a few 2013 MKZ questions?

1-The 2013 MKZ details always mention remote keyless entry and push button shift but never push-button start. Is push-button start to be assumed? It seems like a dumb question but why mention something as mundane as cup-holders and not push-button start?

I have not seen another vehicle with so much safety equipment. It's great and I can hardly wait to see it. I'm certain I'll buy.

I too am stoked about this car and will more than likely buy one as well. I can't wait till everything is finalized and I will probably go all the way to the top as I want the roof, the 3.7, and AWD,

Here's how I see the Lineup of engines for the MKZ:

2L: Base

2.7: Volume

For the MKS/Taurus:

2.7L: Volume

3.5L: Top

For the F-series(mainly F150)

2.7L: Base

5.0L: Volume

3.5L: Volume/Top

6.2L: Top

For the Fusion

2.5L: Base

1.6L: Volume

2.0L: Volume/Top

2.7L: Top(ST)

What do you guys think of this lineup. I think the 3.5L in the SHO and F150 will get a slight power bump. You simply won't believe the volume of F150s that I see the Ecoboost engine, so I think Ford will invest more into this engine. With the Ecoboost 3.5L, I don't see the need for the 6.2L considering dynos put them at nearly the same HP at the wheels and the torque going to the Ecoboost.

Here's how I see the Lineup of engines for the MKZ:

2.7: Volume

For the MKS/Taurus:

2.7L: Volume

3.5L: Top

For the F-series(mainly F150)

2.7L: Base

5.0L: Volume

3.5L: Volume/Top

6.2L: Top

For the Fusion

2.5L: Base

1.6L: Volume

2.0L: Volume/Top

2.7L: Top(ST)

What do you guys think of this lineup. I think the 3.5L in the SHO and F150 will get a slight power bump. You simply won't believe the volume of F150s that I see the Ecoboost engine, so I think Ford will invest more into this engine. With the Ecoboost 3.5L, I don't see the need for the 6.2L considering dynos put them at nearly the same HP at the wheels and the torque going to the Ecoboost.

I'm rather adamant about the Nano 2.7v6/EB being Lincoln-exclusive, GT-Keith

at least at first complain.gif

& would rather see the Ford Brand use the 2.3EB (325hp?) instead

so:

MKZ = 2.0EB or 2.7v6 n/a for base...same $$ as...2.0-or-2.3-Hybrid

and keep the 3.7v6 at first with the 2.7EB as top engine

Fusion = just add the 2.3EB for an 'ST' (or even a *new* 2.0EB if it has 280hp)

MKS/Taurus...I'm waiting to see if my latest crazy idea is correct

(not expected until Fall 2015 afaik)

F-150...imho nothing new until the lighter nextgen (Fall 2014) THEN a 2.3EB might be possible as a special ultra-light version

&

wondering if there'll ever be a 5.0EB for either LINCOLN or Ford

(& Yes, for Lincoln I DO mean RWD!)

I haven't checked out #2 specifically on the BuildIt site but that info is still preliminary anyway

&

3: MKZ StartUP = Oct. 1, 2012

so sometime in November for arrival at dealers if all goes well

Thanks to Nick and 2b2 for answering my questions. From the info on 2b2's link, MKZ StartUP = Oct.1, 2012, does it mean that orders are now being taken for the 2013 MKZ? Is that what the July 16 date means on the the Chart under 'Next Model Year Order Banks Open'?

^ that's what it sounds like to me, Dedonut

BUT

the Order Bank is NOT open yet afaik

&

"usually" it seems that happens about a month before Job1,

the same time the OrderGuide comes out;

so I expect it'll be a few weeks yet.

^ that's what it sounds like to me, Dedonut

BUT

the Order Bank is NOT open yet afaik

&

"usually" it seems that happens about a month before Job1,

the same time the OrderGuide comes out;

so I expect it'll be a few weeks yet.

Thanks, 2b2. Can you tell I'm eager? I've been waiting for the 2013, and all it's technology, even as I signed for the 2011, which is why I leased. :dance:

Hi Everybody,

I am a fleet participant and currently have a 2010 MKZ that I got in April 2010 - apparently at the start of the production run for that model year, which as you all know represented a huge - and in my view, very positive - change from the previous model. I lurked on the site back then for info on the Job 1 date and early photos of the car, as little data was available in November 2009 when I placed my order. Let me extend my belated thanks to everyone here who provided information on the 2010 model back then, when that information was very hard to come by.

I was informed today by our fleet admin that I will be upgraded to the 2013 MKZ and need to get my order in. I am thinking of what color schene I want - my current car is Tuxedo Black with the Light Dune interior. I think I will go with a black interior this time, as the Dune get dirty easily. Apparently our fleet is getting this car with the Reserve option group (102A), along with the single-panel moonroof. We are not allowed to add any features, but I have the same group of features on my current car and I am very pleased with it - except that the rear-view camera does not work when it's cold out.

I am not certain how long it will take to get the new car, but in the meantime I'm happy to share my experiences on this forum if people are interested to hear about them, as well pictures of the car, again, if anyone's interested.

I see from the above that Job 1 for the 2013 MKZ is October 1. Thanks to 2b2 for that info. I suppose that means I might get my new car early next year, if not sooner, as it took about 4-5 months from order to delivery last time.

Edited by olddinosaur