Ford EcoSport Spied Testing in US

Automotive News is probably making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but it's still interesting to see a camoed EcoSport running around Dearborn. I'm going to assume this is just a prototype remnant that still needs to be sent off to the crushers.

http://www.autoweek....RNEWS/120819889

Crash testing for other regions?

Edited by jpd80

I think it could sell pretty well. Lose the rear spare tho.

They can't, unlike B-Max, the room for the spare is reserved for AWD differential,

markets like South America require the AWD option and it was set early in development.

Edited by jpd80

They can't, unlike B-Max, the room for the spare is reserved for AWD differential,

markets like South America require the AWD option and it was set early in development.

Then can -- if the Ecosport comes to the U.S. it might not have a spare tire, more and more new cars don't have them; Also it could have a small doughnut spare where the rear mounted is a Full size.

http://www.aaa.com/A...Spare-Tires.pdf

Edited by jasonj80

I think it's cute, I would say bring it over. I know for years Ford NA has not wanted to bring this product to the US because the Brazil factory isn't known for the best quality assembly, but since Ford has been tanking some initial quality surveys as of late, I say bring it on anyways, no one will notice. Buick is bringing the Encore, I would say if that does well, Ford would be smart to reconsider.

Lets face it, with the CV, Ranger, TC being dropped, you need product to even maintain the market share Ford currently has. Can't expect/hope incremental sales of each and every vehicle to make up for the lost difference.

Lets face it, with the CV, Ranger, TC being dropped, you need product to even maintain the market share Ford currently has. Can't expect/hope incremental sales of each and every vehicle to make up for the lost difference.

What's better - slightly lower marketshare and higher profits or the same marketshare with lower profits?

If Ford intends to enter this market in the US, they will need a different product. The B-Max and EcoSport are not well suited here for a number of reasons. We may see Ford develop something globally depending on how the Buick Encore does.

If Ford intends to enter this market in the US, they will need a different product. The B-Max and EcoSport are not well suited here for a number of reasons. We may see Ford develop something globally depending on how the Buick Encore does.

IMHO, B-Max makes better sense in many ways than the Fiesta does. It offers smaller-than-Focus size, with easy access unmatched by anything else that size in the non-premium market, thanks to the sliding B-pillar. IMHO, it could be the Fit's worst nightmare, but I could be wrong. :)

IMHO, B-Max makes better sense in many ways than the Fiesta does. It offers smaller-than-Focus size, with easy access unmatched by anything else that size in the non-premium market, thanks to the sliding B-pillar. IMHO, it could be the Fit's worst nightmare, but I could be wrong. :)

Could shake up Honda Fit sales, the B-max looks to be just as versatile,

maybe better mainstream design, better distribution through more Ford dealerships..

Edited by jpd80

Not going to happen with sliding doors in the US. Not only are they unpopular, particularly with the target demographic, but they are expensive. This is a premium B-segment entry likely to cost more than a Focus.

Edited by BORG

B-Max aligns with Honda Fit

By the time you do that, the B-Max begins to look like a better option..

Not if they just trash the spare all together, put in an air-compressor and a can of fix a flat. I'm still 50/50 if this is goign to show up here. -- It would be another car that can help the CAFE.

Edited by jasonj80

Not going to happen with sliding doors in the US. Not only are they unpopular, particularly with the target demographic, but they are expensive. This is a premium B-segment entry likely to cost more than a Focus.

Yadda yadda yadda, we don't like hatchbacks either. The B-Max is hardly a traditional minivan. (WAIT, didn't someone say the FLEX had to have sliders to be marketable?)

Yadda yadda yadda, we don't like hatchbacks either. The B-Max is hardly a traditional minivan. (WAIT, didn't someone say the FLEX had to have sliders to be marketable?)

Ford's research revealed that customers would be less likely to buy the Flex if it had sliders. I'm sure Ford has already market researched the B-Max for the US and concluded the same.

Edited by BORG

Ford's research revealed that customers would be less likely to buy the Flex if it had sliders. I'm sure Ford has already market researched the B-Max for the US and concluded the same.

Flex is a different segment, what works or doesn't work there is not entirely transportable to a subcompact utility.

the efficient use of sliders in this situation is different to the stigma often associated with minivans

Whichever vehicle is chosen will be incremental product increase for Fiesta's production line.

Edited by jpd80

Have you seen the market study? I don't think so, it's a different technology/application............like the hatchback Fiesta/Focus. The status quo assumption is wrong.