Ford Farley Vows to Fix MFT

Here's what Dave Sargent, of J.D. Powers, said about MFT:

"You could almost say that Ford took one for the team," said Sargent. "They went early, they went big and a lot of learning has come from that, not only for Ford but everybody else has benefited by Ford being the first to go over the top."

Full article here:

http://www.reuters.c...E85J15220120620

MFT and U-Connect and a few others from the Japanese are developed in similar ways, largely outsourced. CUE and all the German systems are engineered in-house. Ford has been particularly inept at their system's development and overly ambitious to push it into all their cars when they didn't even have control over it's development. The decision making on MFT was extraordinarily risky and clumsy and they paid dearly for it, but they are acting on very important insights into what draws customers to products, and technology is key. The only thing saving MFT now from complete ruin is the fact that no other full-line manufacture offer a system as attractive as MFT. There is a BIG difference between CUE and MFT, you can't get CUE in a Chevy Cruze.

Edited by BORG

On Linux? Are you serious? Have you written anything in Linux at all, ever? Do you have any idea how bad an idea this is? Do you have any, any, any clue how bad an idea this is?

The first Tivo DVR was built on a linux kernel (and still is AFAIK). Stable as a rock.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is very stable and on a x86 virtualized infrastructure is rapidly replacing Solaris, HP-UX and AIX in corporate computing. The only drawback right now is a limited max server size due to x86 limitations.

The first Tivo DVR was built on a linux kernel (and still is AFAIK). Stable as a rock.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is very stable and on a x86 virtualized infrastructure is rapidly replacing Solaris, HP-UX and AIX in corporate computing. The only drawback right now is a limited max server size due to x86 limitations.

yeah...because that'll work....;.

Such is the world of technology. This is why there are constant updates to your computer, phone, security software, tablets, etc.

Due to CR's obsessive BS, Ford is forced to say something. As condescending doesn't play well in the media, you just smile and say, "Of course, we are always striving to perfect our technology, and always will be," wihile muttering "idiots" under your breath.

I think it's positive for Ford to say something. I mean we can say that CR was wrong for pointing out flaws in the system and I agree they were probably too harsh, however I think if they find issues they should report them. What I don't agree with is saying that a certain model should be avoided because of the system. They could simply say the vehicle is recommended as long as it does not have the MFT option. That would make more sense. Whether or not we like it Ford does listen to CR and has made changes over the years because of things CR has pointed out. It would be easy to say that CR is completely biased against Ford and there could be some truth in that statement, but I know they have always been quite favorable to the Fusion and have recommended it for years. I believe there are other models they have recommended as well including the Edge before MFT. I guess they don't like MFT and we won't know whether they just don't like MFT or touch systems in general until more manufactures offer them and they test them.

I don't see an issue with Ford dropping support for certain systems after a few years provided they are bug free and completely stable at that point. Technology is replaced rather quickly. Most people replace their Smart phones every two years or so and their computers maybe every 4 or 5. Tablets like the iPad will probably also be replaced every few years because technology advances so quickly. The only issue I see is that you can't replace or upgrade this hardware. As technology changes you are locked in. This is the reason I don't care for an integrated Smart TV. I'd rather have upgradeable components I can plug into it. I bought a networked LG BD player about 2 years ago and it is already outdated because the newer one offers more features and apps. I have no idea how you get around that, but the fact is when new features and improvements are added you will need to upgrade the entire car. I guess you have to think about it differently then most technology because it is built-in and must last the life of the vehicle even if everything around it changes.

Edited by 2005Explorer

MFT and U-Connect and a few others from the Japanese are developed in similar ways, largely outsourced. CUE and all the German systems are engineered in-house. Ford has been particularly inept at their system's development and overly ambitious to push it into all their cars when they didn't even have control over it's development. The decision making on MFT was extraordinarily risky and clumsy and they paid dearly for it, but they are acting on very important insights into what draws customers to products, and technology is key. The only thing saving MFT now from complete ruin is the fact that no other full-line manufacture offer a system as attractive as MFT. There is a BIG difference between CUE and MFT, you can't get CUE in a Chevy Cruze.

So who at Ford is taking an arrow to the heart over this MFT fiasco and putting it even in the low cost, high volume Focus? Who made the decision to put this half baked system into so many Ford models?

The only issue I see is that you can't replace or upgrade this hardware. As technology changes you are locked in.

I think there is a BIG misunderstanding about how MFT works...it connects up to your Smart Phone via Bluetooth (wireless connection) or though a USB cable. Both of these standards have been around for nearly 20 years and haven't changed that much, nor will they in the future. You can still use a Bluetooth headset from 5 years ago with a iPhone with no issues.

With that being said, most of the MFT issues are with the OS or Operating system of MFT itself...for example, slowness in response to input, disappearing Sirius stations etc....and not with devices that are attached to it. Sure there will be issues with older phones, since they won't have the power to do what a fairly modern smart phone can do these days. Once the OS gets fixed in MFT...it should work fine with future generation phones. Not to mention that phone developers will actually have Sync based cars to work with when new phones come out that they can test on, they can avoid bugs that might arise.

So who at Ford is taking an arrow to the heart over this MFT fiasco and putting it even in the low cost, high volume Focus? Who made the decision to put this half baked system into so many Ford models?

It's perspective: to you, it's a "fiasco".

But for the vast majority of users, there seems to be no fiasco, so I guess that's just you.

As to "So who at Ford is taking an arrow to the heart over this MFT fiasco and putting it even in the low cost, high volume Focus?", what does "So who at Ford is taking an arrow to the heart over this MFT fiasco" have to do with "and putting it even in the low cost, high volume Focus?". Regardless of whether somebody in the executive ranks plays at suicidal archery, it seems that Ford is putting it in the "low cost, high volume Focus" because people seem to want to buy it. Capisce? :)

All due respect, you're comparing apples, pears, and oranges.

TiVO's a black box, RHEL is a server OS that basically requires ongoing management, and MFT is a platform that needs to be open for 3rd party development.

If you were going to write a PCM in any OS, a Unix variant would be the way to go, unquestionably. But as a development platform for an infotainment system with support for 3rd party developers? I'm sorry, I can't get behind that idea at all.

But as a development platform for an infotainment system with support for 3rd party developers? I'm sorry, I can't get behind that idea at all.

I thought you were implying it was unstable. If you're talking about support for 3rd party development tools and device drivers for device connectivity then I can see where that might be a problem.

The design choice was to develop a system that could be installed everywhere.

Richard, you took my quote out of context and used it on an unrelated point.

And CUE can be installed in a Cruze, but GM doesn't work that way. Lincoln doesn't have the means to develop an independent system to take on CUE so they have to wait on Ford for a next-gen system that will hopefully better resemble CUE. But this is another point of divergence where Lincoln is loosing ground to Caddy because they are so dependent on Ford tech.

Edited by BORG

Richard, you took my quote out of context and used it on an unrelated point.

And CUE can be installed in a Cruze, but GM doesn't work that way. Lincoln doesn't have the means to develop an independent system to take on CUE so they have to wait on Ford for a next-gen system that will hopefully better resemble CUE. But this is another point of divergence where Lincoln is loosing ground to Caddy because they are so dependent on Ford tech.

I believe that CUE is simply a heavier-optioned version of the stock GM Chevy MyLink, Buick/GMC IntelliLink.

That is absolutely fucking stupid to have two different systems in your vehicles...all your doing is adding complexity to a system that doesn't need it.

But you forget that Lincoln IS FORD...

I thought you were implying it was unstable. If you're talking about support for 3rd party development tools and device drivers for device connectivity then I can see where that might be a problem.

Well it is unstable, but not in the sense of day to day use, but as a platform on which you can build reliably.

CUE can be installed in a Cruze, but GM doesn't work that way. Lincoln doesn't have the means to develop an independent system to take on CUE so they have to wait on Ford for a next-gen system that will hopefully better resemble CUE. But this is another point of divergence where Lincoln is loosing ground to Caddy because they are so dependent on Ford tech.

CUE can't be installed on a Cruze because it's too expensive.

Do you honestly think that Cadillac is like some sort of independent entity within GM, and developed CUE strictly on its own? Do you really, honestly think that?

And "Lincoln losing ground to Caddy"? Really? Because the Cadillac system is capacitive and has slightly better voice interface? I guess Max Wolff should just tie a rock around his waist and jump off the Ambassador Bridge, because, clearly, *clearly* it is ALL over for Lincoln.

Do you honestly think that Cadillac is like some sort of independent entity within GM, and developed CUE strictly on its own? Do you really, honestly think that?

And "Lincoln losing ground to Caddy"? Really? Because the Cadillac system is capacitive and has slightly better voice interface? I guess Max Wolff should just tie a rock around his waist and jump off the Ambassador Bridge, because, clearly, *clearly* it is ALL over for Lincoln.

Sprinkle the Holy Water, so to speak.

Well it is unstable, but not in the sense of day to day use, but as a platform on which you can build reliably.

You wouldn't just use an off the shelf version. You'd use your own version like Tivo does. Then again Tivo doesn't have externally connected devices to worry about.

Besides - OS stability doesn't seem to be the problem with MFT - it's the app software.

Thank goodness for CR's obsessive BS, or more accurately, the fact they call out BS found among consumer products ranging from dietary supplements to automobiles.

Yes, because I'm sure Ford would have simply ignored the problems if CR didn't come to the rescue of the helpless consumer. :rolleyes:

CUE has a multi-touch user interface with full system 3D acceleration which brings it inline with modern mobile UI. MyFord is a very primitive system by comparison.