Upgrade SE Tail lights?

deadman64

Do the SE's have any LED's in their tail lights? Or is it only incandescent/halogen?

They have the LEDs in the outside white area of the tailight, like the Titanium, except the Titaniums have the solid red "ring" around the outside of the entire assembly when the lights are on. So, technically, all Fusions come with LED tailights, just slightly different versions.

Edited by lmp180psu

Do the SE's have any LED's in their tail lights? Or is it only incandescent/halogen?

The SE has LED lights, it looks like they are none in the red surround though, they only light up in the white part in the center. See Hightyde's video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HxuW4RTA8Ec

And see the Titanium LED's here:

5lw3ms.jpg

Well if the SE's do have LED's, Ford didn't lie about LED tail lights on all models. It sucks that people aren't getting the lights they want, but it was only their own assumption that led them to believe that all models would get the same tail lights. Ford isn't going to specify every minor detail between trim levels.

• Like 3

Well if the SE's do have LED's, Ford didn't lie about LED tail lights on all models. It sucks that people aren't getting the lights they want, but it was only their own assumption that led them to believe that all models would get the same tail lights. Ford isn't going to specify every minor detail between trim levels.

They technically didn't lie, but they should have worded the Titanium one differently. It just says standard for both. Your telling me you wouldn't assume they were the same? What if they said leather is standard on the SE and Titanium but then only the SE has a small piece of leather on the arm rest?

I'm probably making a bigger deal about it than it is and I'll likely just forget about it once I have it. But I will be pressuring my dealer about to see what they can do. Feels a little sketchy, and makes me wonder what else I think I'm getting but not really.

Sketchy? Good grief - you ordered a vehicle without actually seeing it in person. There will be dozens of things that changed from the pre-production models or that weren't spelled out explicitly in the specs or on the website.

Think about how difficult it would be to word the differences in a spec sheet.

It's ok to be disappointed but don't blame Ford on this one because you ordered a pre-production vehicle.

• Like 1

They technically didn't lie, but they should have worded the Titanium one differently. It just says standard for both. Your telling me you wouldn't assume they were the same? What if they said leather is standard on the SE and Titanium but then only the SE has a small piece of leather on the arm rest?

I'm probably making a bigger deal about it than it is and I'll likely just forget about it once I have it. But I will be pressuring my dealer about to see what they can do. Feels a little sketchy, and makes me wonder what else I think I'm getting but not really.

I wouldn't assume anything was the same. That's why there are trim levels. The more upscale trims get the fancier stuff. Your example doesn't fit. A small piece of leather does not make a leather seat. LED's in a tail lamp make it an LED tail lamp no matter the number of LED bulbs. The only difference I can see is that the Titanium has more LED bulbs. If both came standard with 18" rims, I would not expect them to necessarily be the same style. You guys are absolutely making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

• Like 2

I agree with you there. I'm one of the bunch that jumped the gun ordered my car without even seeing one first. If I end up without something I saw back on a pre-production model, I wont be upset. It's not Fords fault. They're just figuring things out at the time, and getting trim levels, packages distinguished, and of course making a nice looking vehicle to show off at the auto shows. (which production models almost always change anyways).

I'd imagine 90-95% of the vehicle orders are usually done after they've been officially released and on the lots anyways, that way there you see what you get and compair for yourself. Yeah, it's kind of a shame that they're a little different than the other lights for the SE guys. But, it's also kind of lame that people are getting so hung up over such a minor feature. Remindes me of the argument back in Aug. about the chrome trim on the door handles on all cars vs. the Titanium.

Things are going to be different, advertised or not. Titanium is also the highest model line, so it can have minor features that others do not get. They have to justify the pricing increase over the S and SE. Why buy a Titanium if every feature is available on all trim lines, they have to stand apart from the rest. It just doesn't make any marketing sense. They're not going to be selling a crap ton of Titaniums anyways, the majority of Fusions you will see on the roads will be SE's, being their volume seller.

The cars are marketed with "LED Tail Lamps", they all have LED Tail lights, there's no wrong in that. They're not hiding anything, They're just a little different. The average person car shopping probably would never know the difference.

• Like 3

When I was looking into the cars before I ordered, I honestly never thought anything of the tail lights, they looked great in the photos to me, overall the car looked fantastic. And I ordered one. Seeing more photos along the way, it kind of all looked the same anyways, the rear LEDs looked great, and the majority of the ones I saw had the red LED center, still looked awesome to me. Wasn't really until recently people started pointing out the differences, that I noticed.

I stalked the SE at my dealership last week at night on my lunch break (work nights) took a longer glance around the car, played with the key pad on the door, and discovered the car was unlocked! Soon as I opened the door, the car lit up like a Christmas tree, and I went around the back to look at the tails. They are bright as hell, and look amazing. I quickly had to get out of there so no one thought I was stealing the car or anything, it had puddle lamps too.

• Like 1

Think about how difficult it would be to word the differences in a spec sheet.

A photo is worth a thousand words :-)

All Ford had to do was include photos, under the specific trim page in the brochure how the LED's light up.

As they already have smaller images for example on the S,SE trim page, along the bottom they include images

of the base audio, rear seat pass thru with ski's & center arm rest with cup holders, and capless fuel filler.

LED lighting being a new tech available in the mainstream cars is IMO a big thing for some consumers.

And I think makes for some bragging rights for owners, hence the importance for some posting here that have

been misled in a sense by Ford "not" showing images, video's or literature the difference in how the rear LEDs

illuminate.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

Brochure image would suffice at the minimum.

Heck Ford throws a couple dozen images on their Facebook pages everyday.

It is not like the old days were exposure is a problem were some very creative person

would have to rack his brain to find the right words to explain the differences on the model

comparison page.

Ford does use their very strong social media outlet to put out hundreds of images and video content

every day.

Edited by MKII

And what about the model comparison which is text?

What is difficult about saying "premium LED tail lights" vs "LED tail lights"? They should be happy to put that in their materials as it makes the Titanium seem even more special.

I don't have a problem with them making the tail lights different, I just have a problem with none of the descriptions or marketing material reflecting that. Yes, in the end it will make little difference with the car, but it is frustrating for those of us that love the look of the LED tail lights only to find out that you have to get the most expensive trim to get them.

• Like 2

What is difficult about saying "premium LED tail lights" vs "LED tail lights"? They should be happy to put that in their materials as it makes the Titanium seem even more special.

I don't have a problem with them making the tail lights different, I just have a problem with none of the descriptions or marketing material reflecting that. Yes, in the end it will make little difference with the car, but it is frustrating for those of us that love the look of the LED tail lights only to find out that you have to get the most expensive trim to get them.

I agree they could have differentiated them somehow but they can't do that with every single small difference between trim levels. That's why it's risky to buy a pre-production vehicle before you ever see it in person.

I ordered my car in early June. I first saw the brochure (on line) a few days ago.

I don't believe this would have changed my mind 5 months prior. I definately would

not have paid an additional $6,500 to get the cooler looking LED tailights anyways.

To be honest, in hindsight I think I would have ordered the plainer looking LEDs anyways.