Production 2015 Mustang nose spotted testing

It's a mule. Who knows where they got the fuel tank and filler neck from.

True, but why not just use it from the current gen Mustang like the rest of the quarter panel? As noted in the other thread, the car most-likely isn't even fueled from there, so why not just stick a blank door on it and be done with it? For the mule with the under-hood shots, it appeared Ford went to great lengths to make the sheetmetal of the current gen car fit to avoid being seen, but yet the fuel door has big, gaudy, camo on it. Why? I know it's a little thing, but it intrigues me. :)

True, but why not just use it from the current gen Mustang like the rest of the quarter panel? As noted in the other thread, the car most-likely isn't even fueled from there, so why not just stick a blank door on it and be done with it? For the mule with the under-hood shots, it appeared Ford went to great lengths to make the sheetmetal of the current gen car fit to avoid being seen, but yet the fuel door has big, gaudy, camo on it. Why? I know it's a little thing, but it intrigues me. :)

Could the IRS have affected the filler pipe routing and location? Just a thought.

Could the IRS have affected the filler pipe routing and location? Just a thought.

IRS requires a tearup to the rear. New rear floorpan, new fuel tank, new suspension bits (obviously), new seats, revised exhaust routing, revised filler. At this point, the underbody of this mule likely is pretty well fully representative of the new car, but it is jammed under the exterior sheetmetal of the existing car.

Fuel filler routing is one reason. There is a second reason I think. Take a look a the rear fenders of the red Evos pictured earlier, and try to imagine the fuel filler placement. Probably a bit outboard versus the rather flat fender area on today's Mustang. So the filler likely is production representative and aligned to the actual exterior location of the new car.

IRS requires a tearup to the rear. New rear floorpan, new fuel tank, new suspension bits (obviously), new seats, revised exhaust routing, revised filler. At this point, the underbody of this mule likely is pretty well fully representative of the new car, but it is jammed under the exterior sheetmetal of the existing car.

Fuel filler routing is one reason. There is a second reason I think. Take a look a the rear fenders of the red Evos pictured earlier, and try to imagine the fuel filler placement. Probably a bit outboard versus the rather flat fender area on today's Mustang. So the filler likely is production representative and aligned to the actual exterior location of the new car.

All that makes perfect sense, and maybe they couldn't just throw something together on the fuel system due to all of the sensors and what-not for the fuel system.

Just thinking about the open hood shots on the Mule and the new slanted upper rails sections.

that new nose is going to make a very distinctive change to Mustang's appearance

Good sign in my opinion. The next gen Mustang needs to be as dramatic a departure in styling from the current generation as the 2005 was from the 2004 or the 1994 was from the 1993, etc. The purely "heritage" shape of the current design is old hat now.

All that makes perfect sense, and maybe they couldn't just throw something together on the fuel system due to all of the sensors and what-not for the fuel system.

I think it's more likely they wanted to use the production version. Might as well test that as early as possible also.

Good sign in my opinion. The next gen Mustang needs to be as dramatic a departure in styling from the current generation as the 2005 was from the 2004 or the 1994 was from the 1993, etc. The purely "heritage" shape of the current design is old hat now.

Even though I'm still smitten with the "old hat" design, I'm definitely psyched about a new styling direction.

in an interview on Autolinedetroittv with a GM chief, he mentioned that that GM was watching to see what Ford does with 2015 Mustang

styling before committing on styling changes to next gen Camaro. If that's true it means that Mustang will be setting the pace...in terms of styling.

Edited by jpd80

It's a mule. Who knows where they got the fuel tank and filler neck from.

If it's like the gas tank on the mule with the underhood shots, it's probably not a production tank at all, but a special tank for testing purposes. At least, I'm not aware of any (current) production Fords with fuel dumps on their gas tanks...

Even though I'm still smitten with the "old hat" design, I'm definitely psyched about a new styling direction.

It's good, but it can't go on forever.

And please, please, PLEASE can we finally ditch the quad headlights this go-around? I was really hoping they'd already have gone away with the 2013 refresh.

You mean the grill mounted Foglights? Thats one of the things I like best about the 2005-2014 design ;)

Ick. I guess they just remind me too much of the round PIAA lights I saw do-it-yourselfers throwing on everything in the 90's. Purely circular light bezels just seem so out of place to me on otherwise modern designs. About the only place I think they still work is for foglights (in the lower fascia, like on the GT500), and even there, it's interesting to see some of the LED interpretations hitting the market now instead.

Edited by NickF1011

I absolutely hate the lights that just use LEDs in place of driving(fog) lamps, useless design. Maybe functional for looking cool, but I'd rather have actual functional lights there.

Doesn't matter I guess, cuz if this Mustang looks too much like the Evos, I'll either be ordering a 2014 Shelby or trying to scoop-up a '13 BOSS. The Evos design is cool, but it's too far departed from a Mustang, (doesn't carry enough of the traditional cues) for me. If there ends up being no fog lights in the grill, that's a major letdown, and that gaping maw of a grill with the blue oval above it reminds me of the '96-'98 Taurus, even though this opening is way larger and a dead-ringer for Aston Martin's grill. Again, it's OK, looks alright-enough on the Fusion, but no thanks on my Mustang.

Edited by OHV 16V
  • Like 1

I absolutely hate the lights that just use LEDs in place of driving(fog) lamps, useless design. Maybe functional for looking cool, but I'd rather have actual functional lights there.

Doesn't matter I guess, cuz if this Mustang looks too much like the Evos, I'll either be ordering a 2014 Shelby or trying to scoop-up a '13 BOSS. The Evos design is cool, but it's too far departed from a Mustang, (doesn't carry enough of the traditional cues) for me. If there ends up being no fog lights in the grill, that's a major letdown, and that gaping maw of a grill with the blue oval above it reminds me of the '96-'98 Taurus, even though this opening is way larger and a dead-ringer for Aston Martin's grill. Again, it's OK, looks alright-enough on the Fusion, but no thanks on my Mustang.

Sounds like you want it to be 1964 forever.

The front end camo is essentially '13 Fusion cover, hence the misleading proportions. The fuel tank filler is the production part, fitted to test clearance and heat shielding with the new exhaust and IRS.The production fenders do, in fact, fit flush with the filler door as fitted.

That settles it then...thanks for clearing it up! :)

• Like 1

Sounds like you want it to be 1964 forever.

Eh, I realize the car has to evolve, that's pretty much essential for its survival. But I don't think it hurts to keep some nostalgic cues here and there. Retro design's time is over, but I definitely don't hate the design(s) or think you have to totally pole vault away from it. Especially when dealing with a car that's such an icon with such a rich history.

Edited by OHV 16V

Eh, I realize the car has to evolve, that's pretty much essential for its survival. But I don't think it hurts to keep some nostalgic cues here and there. Retro design's time is over, but I definitely don't hate the design(s) or think you have to totally pole vault away from it. Especially when dealing with a car that's such an icon with such a rich history.

I would prefer some historical cues interpreted in a modern way, much as they did with the 94-04 cars (for the time anyway). Give it the hockey stick on the flanks. Give it a galloping horse in the grille. Keep the long hood/short deck layout. Use 3-element tail lights of some sort. Plenty of things they can still utilize that say Mustang without it being a knock-off of the original.

Oh. One other thing i hope goes: the faux gas cap on the decklid.

• Like 1