Automobile magazine: MFT 6th out of 6

Agreed. People need only see the way Ford has done MFT on the 2013 Super Duty and even more so the 2013 F-150 to see that Ford is admitting that some change is necessary. It (thankfully) won't look like an Acura center stack, but the buttons for the most oft-used stuff are returning, even in the cars, as they get refreshed.

Everything except the shape of tires evolves and changes in the auto industry. To NOT admit change is necessary would be out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Everything except the shape of tires evolves and changes in the auto industry. To NOT admit change is necessary would be out of the ordinary.

I agree. I do think that this negative publicity has sped up the process in regards to changing MFT though. Which is great, because NO ONE can claim that Ford isn't listening to its customers or working to resolve these issues. I think this new itineration of MFT will quell most of the complaining. People do need to realize that in order to have all of these cool features and functions, something like MFT had to happen sooner or later. One look at certain Acura center stacks will show you why.

Good summary Hugh, Extreme4x4, and FordBuyer. To add to the discussion regarding cheri/ck's concerns, Ford products with 'average' predicted reliability in Consumer Reports' latest survey are:

• Taurus, excluding SHO
  • MKS
  • F-150 (all powertrains, though the 3.7L and 5.0L versions had fewer problems than those with Ecoboost)
  • Mustang V6
  • Expedition
  • Navigator

All other new Fords for which CR has enough data to predict reliability are worse than average. None are better than average.

cheri/ck - your concerns are well founded (and I share them), but you should be ok considering a 2013 F-150 for your new truck purchase. As Hugh recommended, ideal configurations are 3.7L or 5.0L versions without MFT.

I was just pointing out some what I thought was pretty obvious for ck. There was some tongue-in-cheek there. If you don't want it, don't order it. That been said, if you want change I've been on Social Ford and requested why not for somethings yet I understand they have to go through a lot of chaff. Some of the suggestions I personally feel are ridiculous. Thanks for the complinent though :)

• Like 1

Note to FordBuyer and Aneekr:

If a dealer gets 20 vehicles - 10 with MFT and 10 without - and they sell 10 with MFT and 2 without MFT, what's left on the lot? 8 vehicles without MFT.

Lack of inventory tells me that those vehicles with MFT are selling much faster than those without. And those statistics are upheld by Dean and by Ford's own data.

I think both of us are trying to convey that dealer orders are for most part SE's without MFT. Not everyone reads CR for sure, but many hear about their complaints and determination to not include any Ford vehicle with MFT on recommended list, and many also could care less about MFT type systems alogether. Also, don't particularly want to sit down with owner's manual with 100 pages or so and learn system either, undergo tutorials at dealer, and come back every few months to have updates downloaded. And AGAIN, I'm smart and fair enough to realize MFT is here to stay, the future in infotainment systems in vehicles, and will be improved over time. And Ford is smart to make MFT less standard and more a choice for now at least until the system is more intuitive and glitch free.

I think both of us are trying to convey that dealer orders are for most part SE's without MFT.

You can't tell that based on dealer inventory, especially in the first 2 months of a brand new model. The dealer may be selling all of the MFT equipped SEs as soon as they roll off the truck so they won't show in inventory.

My take...

First off, I have always thought that My Ford Touch is an absolutely ridiculous name for... Anything. Terrible marketing aside, the system is quirky, at best.

The question I've always asked myself is, "Why doesn't Ford just contract someone else to design (Err... code, integrate) an MFTish system. There are a plethora of mobile electronics companies infinity more qualified to do this.

My take...

First off, I have always thought that My Ford Touch is an absolutely ridiculous name for... Anything. Terrible marketing aside, the system is quirky, at best.

The question I've always asked myself is, "Why doesn't Ford just contract someone else to design (Err... code, integrate) an MFTish system. There are a plethora of mobile electronics companies infinity more qualified to do this.

Like Bsquare - a company made up of former Microsoft employees?

Why didn't Ford think of that?

• Like 1

Beause MFT wasn't designed by Ford, Ford was not equipped to assess the problem and then fix it before it hit production. The MFT fiasco exposed some serious management issues over there, and I'm not sure if those problems have been solved because they continue to struggle with quality in other areas.

Beause MFT wasn't designed by Ford, Ford was not equipped to assess the problem and then fix it before it hit production. The MFT fiasco exposed some serious management issues over there, and I'm not sure if those problems have been solved because they continue to struggle with quality in other areas.

That being said, it seems to me Ford should have user tested it in field for a number of months to determine what bugs were present and for simplicity also. And make fixes before it ever saw prime time. I mean it took some time and lots of hard work to get Ford's reliability rating up there with Asians, and Ford was showing sharp market share gains with its reputation for outstanding quality. And then almost overnight they are just another domestic with suspect quality. Granted, they lead in profitablilty, but how long will that last if their quality doesn't get back there quickly?

I said Infinitely more qualified. In what dimension would... ANYONE trust Microsoft employees to develope a successful mobile device. As far as I know, Microsoft has NEVER developed a successful mobile... Anything.

Bsquare Corp. is still involved on the MyFordTouch project. They primarily do customization, system integration, and application development. Project management arrangements have changed since Bsquare first started the project in 2008 - they now provide engineering services through Microsoft. Bsquare is essentially a subcontractor now for the MyFordTouch project, with Microsoft acting as the primary contractor.

As a result of this change in project structure, Bsquare reported in its 3Q 2012 conference call a $1.9M decline in service revenue associated with MyFordTouch.

Edited by aneekr

Bsquare Corp. is still involved on the MyFordTouch project. They primarily do customization, system integration, and application development. Project management arrangements have changed since Bsquare first started the project in 2008 - they now provide engineering services through Microsoft. Bsquare is essentially a subcontractor now for the MyFordTouch project, with Microsoft acting as the primary contractor.

As a result of this change in project structure, Bsquare reported in its 3Q 2012 conference call a $1.9M decline in service revenue associated with MyFordTouch.

Oh god, it only gets worse....

I said Infinitely more qualified. In what dimension would... ANYONE trust Microsoft employees to develope a successful mobile device. As far as I know, Microsoft has NEVER developed a successful mobile... Anything.

Sync seemed to be fairly well accepted until it was integrated into half baked not ready for prime time MFT. A few complaints about Sync, but not many. Nothing like the daily negative reports on MFT. BMW just screwed up too with nightmare shift pattern on latest autoshift trans that is not intuitive at all so that one is forced to read manual and memorize and practice before mastering even going into reverse properly. I don't understand the needless complexity all in the name of being more high tech than competitor. History proves that consumer wants simplicity whether it be hooking up DVD to TV or changing basic control on auto radio or fan motor.

You're summarizing mumbo-jumbo from an SEC filing.

The most important factors from that filing are that 1: Ford replaced BSquare with Microsoft and 2: BSquare's revenues from Ford are expected to decline.

Ford kept buying diesels from Navistar after they made the decision to fire them, and Ford is still buying parts from Navistar, but that in no way indicates that Ford will be letting Navistar design new engines for Ford.

And maybe somebody can help me here. I obviously try to stay off this forum. But Ford has some problems in my mind. Quality control, engineering, customer support? All of the above?

Why unleash MFT onto the public without it being right or at least closer to right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this kind of blunder?

Why unleash the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F-150 without it being right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this?

Why unleash the new trannys that don't work to customer satisfaction to an extent across the board? Without a lot of constant updates that maybe work? Can any manufacturer afford this? Especially in the trucks.

Hard to understand and still trying to figure it out.

Losing faith here. Need help and probably need to buy a new truck soon. Long-time Ford buyer here and like I said - losing faith in the Ford process in general.

Then get a truck with the 5.0 V8 which appears to be bulletproof and without MFT. Problem solved.

• Like 1

As far as I know, Microsoft has NEVER developed a successful mobile... Anything.

Windows Phone is successful with its users, if not necessarily in the marketplace. Sync (which was developed my Microsoft) was wildly successful, and even the (technologically-literate) autojournos who bitched incessantly about MFT had nothing but praise for Sync.

• Like 1