Lincoln Working Up Rear-Drive Options

I believe 'Sooner LS' called out the Mustang in another thread. I am looking forward to see where this goes.

I posted the screen cap, but it was wildosvt and MKII with the eagle eyes to pick it out in the first place.

I've not been particularly impressed with anything I've ever heard come out of Paul Eisenstein's mouth (it usually required a rather large shaker of salt, IMHO), but I certainly hope that this quote form the article is accurate:

"Rear-wheel-drive is definitely in the works," one of Ford’s top executives confirmed in a background conversation with TheDetroitBureau.com.
Edited by SoonerLS

Rumor MKS was begun less than 12 months ago, allow three years development on CD4 platform, maybe spring 2015 as a 2016 model.

There could be confusion internally as help possibly being extended to FoA products is misconstrued as a Ford NA projects,

this would make it look like Ford NA is working on RWDs for its own use...

Edited by jpd80

If rear-wheel-drive is a luxury-car-buyer requirement for a proper luxury car, then how does Audi survive?

I don't question the notion of tradition as it applies to an American luxury car buyer, and maybe that's the point. But it seems to me (not that I'm a luxury car buyer) if you make a really good luxury car and can sell it at a competitive price, and are willing to bend over backwards when it comes to service, then you'll be successful.

• Like 1

If rear-wheel-drive is a luxury-car-buyer requirement for a proper luxury car, then how does Audi survive?

By making its dealers buy the cars and sell them as used? :bag:

Personally, I don't think RWD is a requirement, but I do hope they'll bring it back, and I do think they'll need to add a coupe at some point (though not necessarily any time soon).

Edited by SoonerLS

Rumor MKS was begun less than 12 months ago, allow three years development on CD4 platform, maybe spring 2015 as a 2016 model.

There could be confusion internally as help possibly being extended to FoA products is misconstrued as a Ford NA projects,

this would make it look like Ford NA is working on RWDs for its own use...

Well one thing this article totally missed...no mention what so ever of the MKX...which should be out in 2014 or so. I forsee the Taurus/MKS and Edge/MKX sharing platforms, with a 3 row varient for the Explorer and hopefully Lincolized Explorer to replace the MKT

Well one thing this article totally missed...no mention what so ever of the MKX...which should be out in 2014 or so. I forsee the Taurus/MKS and Edge/MKX sharing platforms, with a 3 row varient for the Explorer and hopefully Lincolized Explorer to replace the MKT

Different floor pan to sedans...

CD4 - Fusion-Mondeo (Sedan, Hatchback and Stationwagon)

CD4.2 - Edge,MKX, S-Max, Galaxy

CD4.3 - Taurus, MKS

CD4 is one platform butt has a whole bunch of product variations linked under that banner

For the moment the late in 2014 Falcon continues on E8 with corporate restyling, changed interior and better corporate electrical options.

Edited by jpd80

Different floor pan to sedans...

CD4 - Fusion-Mondeo (Sedan, Hatchback and Stationwagon)

CD4.2 - Edge,MKX, S-Max, Galaxy

CD4.3 - Taurus, MKS

Wait a minute, the point I'm making is that widened up CD sedan would be a better fit for both the Edge and Taurus. The current cars are very similar in size (besides length)..I know that they are the "same" platform, but they would both share the widened verison of the current CD platform and the CD4W as I'll call it would also become a Explorer with LWB model...no need to have 3 different varients of the same platform. Plus from my understanding its easier to streach out a car vs widening to meet crash regs.

Interesting quote from the article

Also, it should not take 3 years to launch a sedan using an existing architecture.

The D3 Taurus was done in 24 months because it was a heavy refresh of an existing car,

Ford has previously stated that they have reduced new product delivery time from four years to three.

Even though Taurus is CD4, just about everything has to be changed or altered compared to Fusion.....

Wait a minute, the point I'm making is that widened up CD sedan would be a better fit for both the Edge and Taurus.

Yes, CD4 Taurus will be wider than CD4 Fusion but the floor pan won't be shared with the SUVs Utilities

Everything from the floor pan up has to be re engineered, not from scratch but it still takes time.

Big drop in weight over D3 Taurus

And I;ll meet you guys half way on Taurus delivery,

If Taurus was begun earlier this year, allow 2 years development on CD4 architecture plus 9-12 months field reliability testing

The planning was for a 2016 model Taurus, that's why the time line seems to fit....if delivered in 2014, it would be Q4 at the earliest.

Edited by jpd80

The new Taurus was done in 24 months.

Exactly. The MKS will either be on a highly modified CD4 or a new platform. If they were making few changes to CD4, I would expect the MKS to launch some time next year.

Not quite IMO...the MKS came out in 2008 and I'm willing to assume it was in the works in 2005 (concept 2005). The new Taurus came out in 2009 and was based heavly on the changes that the MKS had done to the D3 platform.

Not quite IMO...the MKS came out in 2008 and I'm willing to assume it was in the works in 2005 (concept 2005). The new Taurus came out in 2009 and was based heavly on the changes that the MKS had done to the D3 platform.

Lincoln MKS concept, circa '05. Note that it still had the Zephyr grille.

2005-Lincoln-MKS-Concept.jpg

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

What insiders may be perceiving as US projects could be Falcon being evolved and co-developed next to CD4 Taurus,

maybe some of the styling, interior and electronics falls the way of the poor cousin from down under?

If so, it would be very easy to misinterpret that action as FNA doing more than they actually are....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

IIRC, the MKS Concept was AWD with an availible 4.4L V8 sourced from Volvo. I didn't recall any mention of RWD. That said, is the Audi system RWD based with the engine mounted longitudinally and the transfer case aft suppling fwd? Perhaps a look at the mounts maybe plausible? I know this has been discussed before. The intro might be late 2014 as a 2015 introduced perhaps in LA 2013. Speaking of Taurus, I was really happy personally with the results regardless of sight and room issues.

IIRC, the MKS Concept was AWD with an availible 4.4L V8 sourced from Volvo. I didn't recall any mention of RWD. That said, is the Audi system RWD based with the engine mounted longitudinally and the transfer case aft suppling fwd? Perhaps a look at the mounts maybe plausible? I know this has been discussed before. The intro might be late 2014 as a 2015 introduced perhaps in LA 2013. Speaking of Taurus, I was really happy personally with the results regardless of sight and room issues.

Thanks for reminding me about the Yamaha V8. For some reason I forgot and thought it was the Modular.

Audi's quattro is programmed to a 40:60 torque split in favor of RWD, but all non-quattro-equipped Audis (base models of A4 and A6) are FWD.

Audi engines are mounted longitudinally. I don't know if the systems are full time AWD with a rear torque bias, I would be surprised if they were.

Thanks for the comments, I am too lazy to do in-depth research. Now, IIRC the 'Intelligent AWD' can send up to 100% power aft. Now, I don't know for how long or how that works. Some of the literature out there says Ford still uses the Hadlex which I believe is incorrect and this system is in-house. Now, what can this system be modified? I'm sure it has been considered yet reliability, material fatique and others issues have been at least discussed.

Another thing, Lincoln CCD: Iread somewhere it reads the road 500 times/sec while the Cadillac/Camero is 1000. Is that a big deal or really picking pepper out of the fly-shit?