1.6L Escape owners are screwed

Tazzel

I think we 2013 Ford Escape owners with the 1.6L are screwed. I talked to the Dealer today and they said they are not even ordering the 1.6L because they can’t give them away because of all the problems. As for a trade they are offering only a 19K which a few months ago was 31k. Basically they do not want the problematic 1.6L Escapes. Talked to Nissan and Honda for a possible trade, they just laughed and said no trade for any amount right now. The worst part is all my friends are laughing because they thought I was crazy to buy a Ford, and I told them “oh no, Ford is really putting out quality”. Never again on American cars for me!!

Edited by Tazzel

I think we 2013 Ford Escape owners with the 1.6L are screwed. I talked to the Dealer today and they said they are not even ordering the 1.6L because they can’t give them away because of all the problems. As for a trade they are offering only a 19K which a few months ago was 31k. Basically they do not want the problematic 1.6L Escapes. Talked to Nissan and Honda for a possible trade, they just laughed and said no trade for any amount right now. The worst part is all my friends are laughing because they thought I was crazy to buy a Ford, and I told them “oh no, Ford is really putting out quality”. Never again on American cars for me!!

In a year nobody will remember or care.

I'll give you $19.5k

Spoken like someone who probably does not own a 1.6L. I guess I was embarrassed because I was spouting off about how far american made cars had come. Total egg on face. Your right about Toyota, they dont get the publicity like Ford when hey screw up. However, can you tell me what recent vehicle has had 4 recalls in less then one year? Oh I know, its the one car model I purchased. This is why I dont go to Vegas, the only luck I have is bad!!!

Spoken like someone who probably does not own a 1.6L. I guess I was embarrassed because I was spouting off about how far american made cars had come. Total egg on face. Your right about Toyota, they dont get the publicity like Ford when hey screw up. However, can you tell me what recent vehicle has had 4 recalls in less then one year? Oh I know, its the one car model I purchased. This is why I dont go to Vegas, the only luck I have is bad!!!

No, I don't own a 1.6L....but it's not like I haven't owned a vehicle that has never been recalled.

I'm not surprised. I own a 2006 Escape Hybrid. I had a 'catastrophic engine failure' at 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership. "Too Bad", said Ford. "It is out of warranty (extended 60,000 warranty)". $7,000 and a remanufactured engine later, I vowed to never own another Ford again. And I won't. Ever. It's not because I had a main bearing spin and ruin the engine. That happens, even on a "tried and tested" DuraTech block. It was because Ford could not care less about my problems, and did absolutely nothing to help me.

Don't be surprised at Ford's indifference to your problem. I've seen it, and, more importantly, they have not. changed. their. attitude towards customers. Ford will take care of the 1.6 owners when they are absolutely forced to. If I owned one of these vehicles, I would be talking to a lemon law attorney to get my money back with interest.

$31K is a LOT of money. I AM surprised at the number of folks who have fallen in lust with the 2013 Escape and are buying them sight unseen with so much unproven technology (EcoBoost, MyFord Touch, etc.) I am highly amused following this forum with all of the wacky issues surrounding MyFord Touch - screen blanks, does not do this, reboot that, new version, etc. You should not be having these issues with embedded systems. However, the system is co-built by Microsoft. What do you expect?

I am happy to hear you are not hurt with the vehicle. Can you imagine the family that had their 1.6 TWO DAYS before it burned to a crisp? That works out to about $15K a day. Wow.

I'm not surprised. I own a 2006 Escape Hybrid. I had a 'catastrophic engine failure' at 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership. "Too Bad", said Ford. "It is out of warranty (extended 60,000 warranty)". $7,000 and a remanufactured engine later, I vowed to never own another Ford again. And I won't. Ever. It's not because I had a main bearing spin and ruin the engine. That happens, even on a "tried and tested" DuraTech block. It was because Ford could not care less about my problems, and did absolutely nothing to help me.

Don't be surprised at Ford's indifference to your problem. I've seen it, and, more importantly, they have not. changed. their. attitude towards customers. Ford will take care of the 1.6 owners when they are absolutely forced to. If I owned one of these vehicles, I would be talking to a lemon law attorney to get my money back with interest.

$31K is a LOT of money. I AM surprised at the number of folks who have fallen in lust with the 2013 Escape and are buying them sight unseen with so much unproven technology (EcoBoost, MyFord Touch, etc.) I am highly amused following this forum with all of the wacky issues surrounding MyFord Touch - screen blanks, does not do this, reboot that, new version, etc. You should not be having these issues with embedded systems. However, the system is co-built by Microsoft. What do you expect?

I am happy to hear you are not hurt with the vehicle. Can you imagine the family that had their 1.6 TWO DAYS before it burned to a crisp? That works out to about $15K a day. Wow.

Oh God, not you again...

As far as all the 1.6L owners are concerned, check you State Lemon Laws. Many say if the car is in the shop 4 times for the same issue or out of service for more than 30 days you are entitled to persue lemon laws. So my advice, if you're giving up, and don't want the car anymore, get it in for service ASAP, so it can sit at the dealer and hopefully for you, it will be there for more than 30 days. There, problem solved.

I don't know that we are necessarily "screwed". However, I'm putting about 4k miles/month on my 1.6L Escape which takes me out of power train warranty around June 2014. My hope would be that Ford would extend the warranty out a bit. I'd hate to imagine being on the hook for a new engine 9 months into ownership. I may have to bite the bullet and pony up for an extended warranty on my own.

If my car exceeds the lemon law thresholds, I may pursue a buy out or 2.0L replacement. It really is a shame considering my wife and I very much like the car.

Edited by inswva

Ha anyone bother to look at the Ford website for Information there.

Notice the part where it states

The recall is being taken to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire;

The repairs should take less than an hour for the dealership to complete, pending parts availability; If affected customers quickly take action and contact their dealers as advised, all vehicles potentially can be remedied in less than two weeks.

Ford is voluntarily recalling Escapes with 1.6-liter engines to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. No injuries have been reported.

here it is

http://www.ford.com/newsevents/news/newsdetail/?id=372

Ford Motor Company is taking quick action on behalf of its customers by conducting a voluntary safety recall of 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine, which were built through July 11, 2012; Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected.

The recall is being taken to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire; no injuries have been reported.

Ford is advising affected owners not to drive their vehicles and to contact their dealers immediately for the needed repair. Dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to customers and will then transport their 2013 Escape to the dealership until the repair has been completed.

Ford dealers will stop delivering or conducting demonstration drives of the 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter engines until the issue has been resolved.

The repairs should take less than an hour for the dealership to complete, pending parts availability; If affected customers quickly take action and contact their dealers as advised, all vehicles potentially can be remedied in less than two weeks.

Ford Motor Company today announced a voluntary safety recall of 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine built through July 11, 2012. Ford estimates that there have been approximately 11,500 of these vehicles produced and distributed for sale in North America, with most in the U.S. market.

Ford is voluntarily recalling Escapes with 1.6-liter engines to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. No injuries have been reported. The issue does not affect other 2013 Escape models. The condition also does not present itself in vehicles when the engine is not running.

As an additional safety precaution, customers who already own 2013 Escape vehicles with the 1.6-liter engine are being advised to stop driving their vehicles and to immediately contact their dealers. Dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to these customers and will transport their 2013 Escape to the dealership for the necessary repairs. The company is working to make parts available as quickly as possible and customers will keep the loaner vehicle at no charge until the repairs on their vehicle are completed.

The company’s dealers will stop delivering or conducting demonstration drives of these vehicles so that proper steps can be taken to remedy the issue at the dealership first.

"We have identified an issue and are taking quick actions in the best interest of our customers,” said Ray Nevi, assistant director, Ford Automotive Safety Office. “Our intensive investigation and testing has identified the area of concern and we are moving as quickly as possible to repair vehicles for our customers. In the meantime, it is extremely important that affected customers not ignore this recall and immediately contact their dealer."

The repairs are straightforward and should take dealers less than an hour to complete, pending parts availability. If affected customers quickly take action and contact their dealers as advised, all vehicles can be remedied in less than two weeks.

Customers may get further information about these and other recalls at www.fordowner.com or they may contact Ford's Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332.

Ha anyone bother to look at the Ford website for Information there.

Notice the part where it states

The recall is being taken to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire;

Ford is voluntarily recalling Escapes with 1.6-liter engines to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. No injuries have been reported.

here it is

http://www.ford.com/...sdetail/?id=372

That's the earlier recall.

The recall you mention above is from July. This is an entirely different recall and I haven't seen any specific information about what will be repaired/replaced.

Doh... obviously a couple of folks beat me to it.

Edited by inswva

I do believe you may be overreating to the Recall

Did you read the prior post, takes about 1 hour to replace the fuel line.

The dealers ane now waiting for the parts to come in since they need something like 80k of them in total.

I think the dealer wants your car

Screwed was those buying the older VW 1.8T Turbo engine. The design flaws could not be corrected and owners were stuck with them. While the number of recalls is annoying and doesn't look good for Ford, they are all issues that can be corrected with upgraded or revised parts.

As for a trade they are offering only a 19K which a few months ago was 31k.

Really? What a shock. He didn't offer you price paid less a few dollars? Welcome to the world of used cars. At my local dealer that currently has 85 Escapes on the lot, the average SE has a window sticker of 25 to 26K. Out the door they are 23k so 19k on a trade in is perfectly normal.

Typical female, go buy a Japanese car then.

Honestly, I'm not surprised with the recalls. This is the first generation of the 1.6L Ecoboost and it takes time to iron out any issues, plus the 2014's aren't even out yet. People are getting up in arms over nothing, nobody has been injured or killed due to the couple of recalls. Nor do these recalls affect the engine directly, everyone is still able to drive the vehicle. So you all need to chill out.

That said I'm happy with my Escape, even though I do have the 2.0L, and I will more than likely stick with Ford from now on.