Student Designs The Lincoln That Lincoln Should Be Building

Ugh. No. No.

No.

A million times, no.

I've said it before, you can't copy the '61. Copying the '61 is a fundamental betrayal of everything that made the '61 a classic.

Enough! ENOUGH!!! of this rehash of the disco-era fascination with recreating olde-tyme luxury! That? THAT? That is this:

1627904.jpg

and this

3069926560_60f5990359_z.jpg

and this:

73markivpictj.jpg

thirty years later.

I'll admit, I don't know what the successor to the '61 Continental should look like, and neither does Jack Baruth, this undergrad, or most of the people here. We're not that gifted.

Edited by RichardJensen

For cryin' out loud, this design has bench seats?

And Jalopnik says this is the car Lincoln should be building instead of the MKZ?

If I were saying this instead of typing it, I would be sputtering and searching desperately for words to express my utter disdain for this guy who seems to think he's got Lincoln all figured out.

Words, mere words, cannot describe how wrong Jalopnik and TTAC are about this.

Fresh and modern?

Fresh and modern?

This is about as modern as polyester pants and vinyl jackets. It's about as fresh as a carton of milk left on the counter over the weekend.

I mean, no offense to Woo Kim, but this is obviously the work of a design student in a free-wheeling studio course. And---I would be surprised if it was even a 300 level one....

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Ugh. No. No.

No.

A million times, no.

I've said it before, you can't copy the '61. Copying the '61 is a fundamental betrayal of everything that made the '61 a classic.

Enough! ENOUGH!!! of this rehash of the disco-era fascination with recreating olde-tyme luxury! That? THAT? That is this:

and this

and this:

thirty years later.

I'll admit, I don't know what the successor to the '61 Continental should look like, and neither does Jack Baruth, this undergrad, or most of the people here. We're not that gifted.

Ugh. No. No.

No.

A million times, no.

and this

and this:

thirty years later.

This student version looks nothing like those. Why you took the time to find/post "Broughammobiles" is beyond me.

His version would make a very nice bigger flagship.

Whatever the 'next Lincoln' has really doesn't matter so much as Lincoln having anything that's worth to buy that's not just a nicer plasticd Ford. Really, what vehicle at Lincoln, when compared to the loaded Ford vehicle it's derived from, and then compared to the competition its alleged to go up against, is worth buying? Lincolns problem is it has nothing anyone really wants to buy.

If I wanted a Lincoln luxury car, I'd want something 4 doors, plush ride, front cockpit that doesn't fit like a glove (why would you force someone to drive with their right leg perputually straight/jammed into the plastic fake tunnel you've engineered needlessly, how is that in any way comfortable????), premium sound system (don't put in Blose, actually spend some time and $$ and put in something clear and with fidelty), have the seats not drop off from your leg halfway through mid thigh leaving no support, etc. etc.

You know....make it a comfortable to drive and ride vehicle like Lincolns are known for. A 4 door retractable convertible that still had a usable trunk would be awesome. Necessary? No. Awesome? Yes.

Chuck

Edited by chucky2

Ugh. No. No.

No.

A million times, no.

1627904.jpg

and this

3069926560_60f5990359_z.jpg

and this:

73markivpictj.jpg

thirty years later.

Ahh the 70's, the decade that killed Detroit. Every car an abomination.

Front bench seats? No thanks. I remember my own butt sliding in the slippery, vinyl-covered front bench seat of my grandmother's Dodge whenever she took a curve somewhat fast.

As for the RWD, suicide doors, and V8 powertrain, I say "bring it on!"

I think the belt line can be lowered a bit, give it a bit more of a greenhouse.

I don't find the front or rear unattractive, just maybe a little bland...

I would rather have that than the abominations we have now. That I have to sell the MKT is just plain embarrassing . The MKS is not much better. I'd rather have ANYTHING than those two models. Please I am begging.

MKS and MKT are both being redesigned in the next couple of years. We already know that.