New Light & Medium Duty News

On 3/21/2022 at 6:11 AM, Joe771476 said:

I thought GM had abandoned 4 wheel steering (Quadrasteer) in the 2000's,  but it seems it's back. I think it's on electrics only. Not sure if drivers will be able to get used to it when the back end swings around on a turn at low speeds. On highway lane changes, all four wheels turn in the same direction, which to me means you better be well ahead of the vehicle in the lane you're moving into!  I foresee problems.  Also, I can't find any updated info on the propane explosion at a Bradford NH school bus depot.  Was just wondering if a propane powered bus was to blame or simply a mechanic error. Bob R. that's your neck of the woods.............hear anything?

I wonder if it's selectable, with default conventional front axle-only steer? I would think it would be confusing for a lot of people switching  back and forth from their other vehicles.

15 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

RMC-one of the national firms -Asplundh? Bartlett? or locals?  My memory says a national tree service association-(lobbyist) had petitioned the industry a couple of years ago to offer a suitble gas option as the day long idling of bucket trucks  was killing them with  regenration issues.

On another note I was riding with a friend today and one town  over parked in a lot is a new 750 asphalt dump hooked up to a BIG tag trailer loaded with  roller, skid steer  etc.  This thing was new and looked like  the  typical set up some guys use with a 12' body and a tag axle with 19.5 rubber-typical "asphalt special" as some guys  call them-except this thing had Alcoas all around and the third axle  was fitted with same 22.5's  So I'm assuming it  was set up  with a non lifting dead axle.  If it was a lift, there would not be typical.

I'll try to make a special trip to  get a picture.  Bright red and with all those aluminum wheels it was an eye catcher...only  thing it needed was a set of horns on the roof!

Nah, a local guy/family friend.

A few years back a Ford rep told me that they understood the hole the lack of a factory tandem had left in their lineup, and that they wouldn't void the warranty if another rear axle was properly installed and used. But 54,000# GVW? That's beyond the F750's 50,000# GCW before they even hook on the trailer!

A little industry news (and some speculation):  Navistar opened their new San Antonio plant, some of the first rucks produced were the new eMV BEV medium duties.  Cummins is introducing a new series of 6.7L 'B' series engines, versions of which will run on diesel, gasoline, natural gas, and propane.  Speculation from some Mopar fans is that the gasoline 6.7L may eventually be available in the Ram HD trucks as the Hemi is phased out.  Later in the year there should be more news about GM's BEV medium duty truck under development, and 2023 will bring a 33,000# GVW class 7 Isuzu supplied Cummins/Allison powered LCF that was rumored for this year.  GM's planned update for Chevy and GMC HD trucks has been postponed to the 2024 MY due to supply chain issues.  Not hearing much out of Ford though.  There is some speculation that the 650 and 750 would get the aluminum cab and the 7.3L gas V-8 would get direct injection within the next year or two.  No rumors of a tandem axle 850 or vendor supplied powertrains.     

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

A little industry news (and some speculation):  Navistar opened their new San Antonio plant, some of the first rucks produced were the new eMV BEV medium duties.  Cummins is introducing a new series of 6.7L 'B' series engines, versions of which will run on diesel, gasoline, natural gas, and propane.  Speculation from some Mopar fans is that the gasoline 6.7L may eventually be available in the Ram HD trucks as the Hemi is phased out.  Later in the year there should be more news about GM's BEV medium duty truck under development, and 2023 will bring a 33,000# GVW class 7 Isuzu supplied Cummins/Allison powered LCF that was rumored for this year.  GM's planned update for Chevy and GMC HD trucks has been postponed to the 2024 MY due to supply chain issues.  Not hearing much out of Ford though.  There is some speculation that the 650 and 750 would get the aluminum cab and the 7.3L gas V-8 would get direct injection within the next year or two.  No rumors of a tandem axle 850 or vendor supplied powertrains.     

Speaking of the eMV, I guess everyone is going at this in small steps?  That is, looks like a conventional drivetrain  from the electric motor back?  I'm assuming the E-150 will be the same?  So all of the hype associated with simplified drive systems-as in no differentials, no long drive shafts etc are in the future?

Is the E Mustang the same?  Or is there a front drive motor  and a rear drive motor?

13 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Would be interesting to see how the SD diesel stands up to this overloading, but a better test with less warranty exposure would be something like the interplant shuttles that hauled Econoline bodies in huge trailers between the body plant and Ohio Assembly.

I guess closest to this would be Pierce's attempt to sell pumpers with the 6.7 as an "economy" fire truck-which did not last long.

3 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Speaking of the eMV, I guess everyone is going at this in small steps?  That is, looks like a conventional drivetrain  from the electric motor back?  I'm assuming the E-150 will be the same?  So all of the hype associated with simplified drive systems-as in no differentials, no long drive shafts etc are in the future?

Is the E Mustang the same?  Or is there a front drive motor  and a rear drive motor?

Separate drive motors on AWD models.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

E Transit has motors front and back like Lightning, all are mounted transverse and direct drive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

February estimates:

image.thumb.png.11ab2e525541bce9bf15ef8b4ecac7f8.png

Thanks rmc, your estimates are sufficient for our purposes.

From the above it looks like F600 took more of a hit than F650 but still, we can see that Ford is hamstrung by chip shortage…..