BMW's New X1 Small Luxury Crossover

FordBuyer

Which makes you wonder how much its going to hurt the cache of the brand by doing so?

You mean the MKC will hurt the cachet of the Lincoln brand? BMW would be stupid to ignore small CUV's with competition entering and CAFE standards changing. And the X1 tested had a sticker of $48,000. If luxury segment is to stay relevant in new fuel mileage era where 40mpg is commonplace, small sedans like ATS, M1 and small luxury CUV's like X1 and MKC will have to be accepted by luxury buyers. If not, then luxury segment will start dying.

You mean the MKC will hurt the cachet of the Lincoln brand? BMW would be stupid to ignore small CUV's with competition entering and CAFE standards changing. And the X1 tested had a sticker of $48,000. If luxury segment is to stay relevant in new fuel mileage era where 40mpg is commonplace, small sedans like ATS, M1 and small luxury CUV's like X1 and MKC will have to be accepted by luxury buyers. If not, then luxury segment will start dying.

while sharing the same segment, the MKC is different to the X1 in several critical ways,

the X1 has a sticker price of $48,000 which means that BMW expects to be paid well for each and every X1 it sells,

that has no comparison with the price point of the Lincoln MKC which most likely will be $10,000 or $12,000 less.

And secondly, being based on escape, the MKC is an extension of a very popular compact utility and should have

no problem attracting buyers, I see BMW struggling to convince people to buy what amounts to a jacked up hatchback

Edited by jpd80

Basically, it's a rear drive Focus hatch....

The only reason BMW is engaging in these types of vehicles is because it has to,

the upper markets are basically at saturation point and the only growth left is in the lower markets.

Wonder is MB planning to try out the Focus size A Class and C-Max size B Class in USA

mercedes-a-class-2013-pictures-and-hands

B-Class

Mercedes-Benz-B-class-2013_i04.jpg

Edited by MKII

They sure are

Wonder is MB planning to try out the Focus size A Class and C-Max size B Class in USA

I would say so by the looks of that but what we don't know is their sales expectation.

I often hear that Lincoln would be crazy to have an MK Focus or an MK C-max but

looking at MB's plans, would Lincoln focusing on more smaller products be that stupid?

If lincoln wanted to attract new buyers, then that would be a great way to do it.

Edited by jpd80

The MB 'B' is here in Canada and I don't know the numbers I can't see the justification of the price. $29,000 CAD to start for a Fiesta is pretty rich. As for CUV vs. Wagon? Perhaps Wagons are still not ready to be accepted common-place while CUV's are around. I admit the wagon's look sharp (Focus, Mondeo for example) However, I love the Escape and Edge.

I see the difference, MB is extending downwards an using their good name to do it.

Lincoln is trying to build a new image for itself to attract new groups of buyers to suit its product envelopes.

Lincoln isn't also saddled with meeting CAFE requirements by itself either..so it doesn't have to push itself down into the B or A sized markets either.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently test drove an X1 that listed for about $39k. I loved the power train and vehicle dynamics -- they took me on the test route they used to demonstrate their sports sedans. But at that price, you get no toys, and the way they do their packages, some toys (e.g., back up camera) are very expensive to get.

--Ian

Lincoln isn't also saddled with meeting CAFE requirements by itself either..so it doesn't have to push itself down into the B or A sized markets either.

This ^^^

MB and BMW are doing it because they have to, not because they want to. Even at the price premiums those brands command, I doubt there's a whole lot of profit margin in those segments for them compared to the other vehicles they sell.

The X1 is made in BMW's plant in Leipzig in former East Germany, The new plant cost approx. 1.3 billion Euros, However, a European Union regional development grant contributed 360 million Euros of this. A government contribution of over 25% of the capital cost of the manufacturing plant must certainly help the bottom line. Not to mention the amounts BMW charges for its "packages."

--Ian