Car & Driver Review Of Fusion SE

They pretty much really like the car, with the exception of the motor. (Which doesn't surprise me, I steer everyone that asks me clear of the 1.6-liter EB)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-fusion-16l-ecoboost-automatic-test-review

*Edited. Had to check WTH went wrong, but my original link was to Page 2 of the article, sorry folks...

Edited by OHV 16V

They pretty much really like the car, with the exception of the motor. (Which doesn't surprise me, I steer everyone that asks me clear of the 1.6-liter EB)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-fusion-16l-ecoboost-automatic-test-review-fancy-dancer-page-2

I dont see any complaints about the engine in the article at all.....its their mainstream drivetrain, what does one expect?....want oooomph, you have options...much like most other manufacturers engine upgrades...and the 1.6 is fine....tad rough IMO but perfectly adequate power wise....

Good advice! Hopefully Ford's new 1.5L engine addresses the key weaknesses with the 1.6L: real world fuel economy, performance, and noise/harshness.

Well, I wouldn't expect all of those from the 1.5L. I think people would be more forgiving of the 1.6L if it at least exceeded at fuel economy OR performance. I doubt we'll see a marked improvement in both.

As for the NVH, well, that's pretty independent of either of the first two, so that's anyone's guess.

• Like 1

I test drove a 1.6L Auto for a friend and I believe it'll work for most buyers honestly. Granted, if you really want to dig down (as they did), on it's acceleration, I would say that I was a bit "unhappy" at the lower revs, its not till 3000RPM where you feel some action, granted at the cost of fuel economy obviously. I did have a few moments where I had to push the gas into the floorboard to get it to kick down promptly and get some higher revs entering the highway but again it was a test drive so the computer hasn't yet "learned" your foot behavior which I'm sure will improve with some time. That engine is not throttle happy, meaning, I know when I drive a friends Altima 2.5L, you just nudge the pedal a bit too hard and the tires are spinning. The throttle tip in is a bit too sensitive and they program it THAT way purposely so the driver has this perception that the vehicle is spunky and powerful. The Fusion 1.6L throttle tip in is a bit softer, they went with a luxury approach, where it's smoother in linear and I did see myself digging into the pedal a bit to get some spunkiness out of it. Upshifts a bit too early and pushing down for downshifts to call for more power might be annoying to some. The overall ingredient with the rest of the car is pretty good and ahead of the class in many instances, and i'm sure these little issues will be tweaked as we move forward.

So for those that know, how does the 1.6EB compare with the 2.5 in acceleration?

I'm at a mile high, but for me the two were very different. I know I'll be the exception with that statement. Driving both at altitude, the 2.5 is average through the entire rev range while I thought the 1.6 had a great mid range sweet spot that the NA motor just didn't have.

Perhaps this is where additional gear ratios come in with such a downsized engine,

1.6 liters even when turbocharged still is a baby engine in the Fusion and Escape.

I'm still amazed that Ford was able to pull off the generational change and get so many

buyers to take up the 1.6 EB although in fairness, they did pull the plug pretty much on

the 2.5 s an option, maybe keeping it as a 2.5 DI would have added some balance but

then again, probably counter productive to the goals of shifting people to Ecoboost.

Would love to see either 1.6 or 1.5 EB in Focus, I think that would work a treat.....

Drove a 1.6SE rental 2 months back. Was averaging 38+ on the drive from Atlanta to Chattanooga. Once in town(and the wife out of the car) I started punching the gas quite a bit. Mileage dropped like a rock, but I knew that was going to happen with the boost. For being such a small engine, the car had more than adequate power IMO. Would probably get the 1.6 over the 2.0 if I had to buy one.

Our 2.0L EB will get an honest 33 on the highway. We live in a rural area so I can't attest to city. It does way better with my wife driving than me. Notice the fuel gauge and the indicated speed.

photobucket-59867-1370269667306.jpg

Eek. Don't think it's a good idea to be taking pictures with your phone while driving 70 MPH. Don't care if you DO have the cruise control on! :runaway:

Edited by NickF1011

Looks like 2,100 rpm at 80 mph. That's impressive for a 2.0 4-banger, IMHO, kind of like the old big blocks, like the 460 and even older, like the 432 in the 1961 Lincoln in the days of leaded premium. IIRC, the last of the great barges had rear axle ratios like 2.3:1. :)