Pete D. Goes Off the Rails

People have trouble with toilet seats too but Ford had been plagued with issues with MFT. ITs the gift that keeps giving to CR. When are they going to fix it or do away with it and go to something else.

It's already been fixed, whether you want to believe it or not.

Not one freeze or lockup on MFT in my Edge in at least 6 months. But yeah, it's pure garbage. Someone put an AC Delco AM/FM receiver and some 1978 temperature sliders in there instead, please!

Not a single freeze or lockup or reboot on my MFT since I bought it in February (10K miles). It works perfectly including voice control.

Only quirk/bug since the last update I have on mine is that sometimes it doesn't show caller info on the right hand display on the IP or once in a while Sync doesn't pickup a call via bluetooth for some reason...Nothing earth shattering that makes me want to rip out MFT and stomp on it. Otherwise its just context issues with the voice control..if I used it every day and knew the context, it would be no issue what-so-ever.

Way to miss the point. It was a simple illustration that people are having issues with UConnect too. FACT remains, no infotainment system is without problems.

And there's a couple very logical reasons MFT comes back with far more results:

1. It's been out quite a bit longer.

2. It's available in many more vehicles.

3. Most of those results likely reference earlier releases.

Chrysler's MyGig has been out since 2006. MyGig has evolved into the current form of uConnect since then. (I have added a myGig radio to my Ram and I could add the uConnect module to it for added functionality).

And I HIGHLY doubt that MFT is available in any more vehicles than the MyGig/uConnect. MyGig and Uconnect are/were available in virtually every Chrysler from Wranglers to 200s to the vans to the trucks.

Unreal. THAT is your proof?

Funny though, when I googled "uconnect problem" I got about 175k results.

When I googled "my ford touch problem", I got over 28 million.

Funny how that works isn't it?

That means you suck at Googling. :chairshot:

"'myford touch' problems" -- "myford touch" in quotes in order to get that exact phrase -- returns about 176k. Roughly the same as "uconnect" which for obvious reasons doesn't need the quotes.

• Like 1

That means you suck at Googling. :chairshot:

"'myford touch' problems" -- "myford touch" in quotes in order to get that exact phrase -- returns about 176k. Roughly the same as "uconnect" which for obvious reasons doesn't need the quotes.

You're missing the point.

The point isn't the number of results.

The point is that using a simple google search as "proof" of something is nutty. It's not accurate. I could google 'earth is flat' and get thousands of results. That doesn't change the fact that he Earth is indeed round-ish.

Chrysler's MyGig has been out since 2006. MyGig has evolved into the current form of uConnect since then. (I have added a myGig radio to my Ram and I could add the uConnect module to it for added functionality).

And I HIGHLY doubt that MFT is available in any more vehicles than the MyGig/uConnect. MyGig and Uconnect are/were available in virtually every Chrysler from Wranglers to 200s to the vans to the trucks.

MyGig? :hysterical: Not even close to the same thing. That was a head unit with a hard drive to store music. It did nothing more.

The point is that using a simple google search as "proof" of something is nutty. It's not accurate. I could google 'earth is flat' and get thousands of results. That doesn't change the fact that he Earth is indeed round-ish.

The point is that there ARE tangible results. UConnect isn't flawless. Far from it.

The system on my Chrysler 300 has been flawless. User friendly, responsive and completely glitch free. On the other hand, my CMax has been to the dealer multiple times for "updates", "reflashes", blah blah blah and performs no better than when we bought it. The last straw was when I found my self yelling at the thing when it wouldn't recognize my voice command and nearly put my fist through the screen. Peter's rant was spot on. Ford could have utilized existent, proven technology from Garman, et al but went with Microsoft and the customers ended up being the beta testers. They deserve every ding they received.

Less you think I'm a "hater", I still love our CMax and have found no other hybrid on the market that comes anywhere close to it in terms of refinement and quality. Just don't ask me to use the navigation/MFT.

• Like 1

Peter's rant was spot on. Ford could have utilized existent, proven technology from Garman

Oh? Garman makes a piece of equipment that can manage Ford's HVAC units, all manner of audio inputs, can feed data to three different screens, can control a BT phone, and can accept control input from a variety of devices?

Peter's rant was wrong on several fronts: The product was not 'years late'---unless one's yardstick was BMW's iDrive. At the time MFT was launched there was no other connectivity product as wide ranging available in an 'entry level product.'

Peter is also wrong when he suggests that Ford should have purchased a reliable product from an established vendor: there was no off-the-shelf product that was even remotely comparable to MFT. Not only was he wrong about that, he was wrong about the idea that Ford decided to do MFT itself rather than hire a proven outside vendor to do the work. Ford DID what Pete said they SHOULD HAVE DONE. They acted proactively, and attempted to hire a competent and experienced vendor to do the work. The problem was that the 'competent and experienced vendor' was neither. That's why they've been dismissed from all work on future generations of the MFT product.

Also, you're wrong when you say that Ford went to Microsoft. They went to Besquare, and got hosed.

Lest you think I'm a 'hater', note that I've only pointed out factual errors in your post. I haven't called into question your IQ, ancestry, or suggested an unseemly instance of rectal-cranial inversion.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

Most if not all the issues with MFT are now cured with the latest software upgrades from earlier this year

but to hear Peter D. Go on, you would think that this problem will be with Ford for years.

Ford's biggest issue was that they subcontractrd MFT to a company that let them down, you can bet that Ford

will not let that hapen again. The issues are now mostly in the past as Ford generations to upgraded versions

of MFT and the return of buttons and dials on newer models to make the buyer experience more familiar and easier.

Edited by jpd80

The system on my Chrysler 300 has been flawless. User friendly, responsive and completely glitch free. On the other hand, my CMax has been to the dealer multiple times for "updates", "reflashes", blah blah blah and performs no better than when we bought it. The last straw was when I found my self yelling at the thing when it wouldn't recognize my voice command and nearly put my fist through the screen. Peter's rant was spot on. Ford could have utilized existent, proven technology from Garman, et al but went with Microsoft and the customers ended up being the beta testers. They deserve every ding they received.

Less you think I'm a "hater", I still love our CMax and have found no other hybrid on the market that comes anywhere close to it in terms of refinement and quality. Just don't ask me to use the navigation/MFT.

Great post and you are 110% correct an ALL points.

It's embarrassing that even YEARS after it was introduced, customers are still being the beta testers. You'd think they would have learned their lesson.

Glad to hear that uConnect is working as designed for you. The reviews I have read say that GM and more specifically Ford should look at uConnect and realize that a properly working system is indeed possible.

Well, Gee Richaard, I guess you told me. BTW, tell Chrysler the same thing given that they used an existing platform for their navigation. Then I suppose Chrysler doesn't have vents and wires and stuff behind the dash to navigate...

uConnect != MFT, MFT != Garmin navigation system.

And like I said, it's not as though MFT was perfect at launch. The issue is that Pete D. has no idea what went wrong with MFT. None.

Edited by RichardJensen

The point is that there ARE tangible results. UConnect isn't flawless. Far from it.

This.

And I actually like UConnect. But no innovative system has been perfect.

The point I was trying to make was concerning my miserable experience with the Nav system specifically. I'm fully aware there's more to it than this. It's darn frustrating when my 08 Edge nav worked perfectly and the CMax has been miserable. Peter may not have all of his facts straight but the fact that it has been damaging to Ford's quality rep cannot be disputed.

I'd like to see the stats on cars returned under the lemon law due to this. I know specifically of two in my area, one CMax and one Focus.

• Like 1