Lincoln sales jump 30% in October, MKZ up 70%

2013-lincoln-mkz-fd.jpg

Ford Motor Co. (F), a laggard in the U.S. luxury-auto market, said its Lincoln brand sales rose about 30 percent this month as it introduced new advertising for the revamped MKZ sedan ahead of rivals’ holiday promotions.

MKZ led the brand’s gains, surging about 70 percent from a year earlier, when Ford was selling down inventory of the previous model, Kevin Cour, Lincoln’s sales and service operations manager, said today in a telephone interview. The Dearborn, Michigan-based company introduced the Luxury Uncovered campaign for MKZ on Oct. 9.

“We are very happy that we got engaged in October versus waiting for Wish List,” Lincoln’s annual holiday sales event, Cour said. “The campaign is now seeded in the market, and as people begin their purchase consideration, Lincoln can be a bigger part of the conversation.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-31/ford-sees-30-jump-in-lincoln-october-u-s-sales-as-ads-debuted.html

Lincoln sold 5,154 vehicles last October. 1,614 of which were the MKZ.

So we can expect around 2,750 MKZ sales and around 6,700 Lincoln total sales? (they don't note if the 30% gain is from last year or last month, so guessing on the Lincoln total number)

(For comparison, there were 2,874 MKZ sales last month and 6,453 total Lincoln sales)

(Not being a Debbie Downer here) If those numbers are correct (feel free to correct my math)....was there really any reaction (sales-wise) to the ads? Even if they are up from last year, it was during the outgoing model's sell-down, so the numbers are not a valid comparison. The MKZ is down or flat from last month, prior to the ad blitz. (again, my math could be wrong or be misinterpreting the article)

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

So we can expect around 2,750 MKZ sales and around 6,700 Lincoln total sales? (they don't note if the 30% gain is from last year or last month, so guessing on the Lincoln total number)

(For comparison, there were 2,874 MKZ sales last month and 6,453 total Lincoln sales)

(Not being a Debbie Downer here) If those numbers are correct (feel free to correct my math)....was there really any reaction (sales-wise) to the ads? Even if they are up from last year, it was during the outgoing model's sell-down, so the numbers are not a valid comparison. The MKZ is down or flat from last month, prior to the ad blitz. (again, my math could be wrong or be misinterpreting the article)

The MKZ should make up a much greater percentage of Lincoln sales than what you gave it credit for. If all other products stay the same and the sales increase all goes towards the MKZ total, that is 3160 MKZ. The sales trend over the past few months has been down for the MKX, slightly up for MKS, with MKT and Navigator making up a variable minority of sales. Thus, other products likely had little impact on the 30% increase in total sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see MKZ sales be in the mid-3's.

The MKZ should make up a much greater percentage of Lincoln sales than what you gave it credit for. If all other products stay the same and the sales increase all goes towards the MKZ total, that is 3160 MKZ. The sales trend over the past few months has been down for the MKX, slightly up for MKS, with MKT and Navigator making up a variable minority of sales. Thus, other products likely had little impact on the 30% increase in total sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see MKZ sales be in the mid-3's.

MKZ led the brand’s gains, surging about 70 percent from a year earlier,

1614 x 1.70 = 2743.

Your Math is correct in regards to sales increases of Lincoln and in particular MKZ compared to last October.

While I am quick to leap to Lincoln's defense, this is clearly spin on selling a combined 6,700 (+30%) Lincolns and 2,743 MKZ (+70%) in October.

In truth, the figures say that Lincoln sales in general haven't changed much compared to last month (Sept), it's still reassuring to see +2700 MKZ sales

but Lincoln's new products can't get here fast enough - MKZ cannot be expected to carry Lincoln's fortunes on its own,.MKZ+MKX+MKC at a minimum

In October 2012, Loncoln only sold 1,614 MKZ as buyers were holding off in anticipation of the new MKZ which had a significant pre-order bank.

Those buyers subsequently caught up in lengthy delays of their vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Thank you. This is a non-story.

It's advertising disguised as a press release.

Ah, the mess factor. Got it. :play: My daughter and son (2yrs, 6 wks) can't cause damage like that. Yet.

So you haven't experiences a small voice from the back seat saying "I don't feel BRRRRRGGGHHHH" followed by Exorcist like projectile vomiting? You have much to look forward to. :)

It was then I realized there was a reason seats used to be covered in vinyl or puffy plastic seat covers.

• Like 1

So you haven't experiences a small voice from the back seat saying "I don't feel BRRRRRGGGHHHH" followed by Exorcist like projectile vomiting? You have much to look forward to. :)

It was then I realized there was a reason seats used to be covered in vinyl or puffy plastic seat covers.

Nope. When we get projectile vomit, it gets to be a complete surprise! :fear:

• Like 2

This is amazing, the avg Fusion sold is going for $3250 more than a Camry. I'm sure with Flat Rock now making more of the lower end models now those ATP will be a bit lower, but this is very good for profitability.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-01/miami-embraces-detroit-as-fusion-leaps-with-coastal-surge.html?cmpid=yhoo

"In keeping with Fusion’s luxury looks, Ford said buyers are loading the car with options such as voice-activated controls and dashboard touchscreens. That drove Fusion’s average selling price up 4 percent to $27,444 last month, according to auto researcher Kelley Blue Book. Camry’s average price fell 1.3 percent to $24,193, according to the Irvine, California-based auto researcher."

John Felice:

On the Lincoln, Lincoln sales were up 38% for October led by strong MKZ performance. MKZ sales saw an 80% increase

with 2,909 vehicles sold. October represent MKZ’s best ever October retail sales months we’ve then benchmarking the sales

performance of MKZ since April which is considered to play at which MKZ at adequate supply on dealer loss.

From the April through September period because we don’t have all the numbers in yet for October Lincoln MKZ sales are in

the upper quartile of the mid-sized luxury segment. For this period MKZ sales ranked fourth behind only BMW 3 series,

Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Lexus ES.

Importantly we’re seeing average transactions prices up more than $6300 on the new MKZ and we continue to attract new

customers to the brand particularly with the MKZ hybrid. We’re encouraged by the October results on Lincoln but as mentioned

on prior calls the reinvention of Lincoln brand is a journey though we measured in year’s not months.

You’ll be hearing more good news a bit more good news about Lincoln next month’s so stay tuned. We’re really pleased with our

progress to date. And the new products we have for the future of Lincoln.

MKZ is strong on sales and even stronger on Averge Transaction Price.

John Felice:

Also of note is a shrink of Ford Fusion now with improved availability and shipments coming out of flat rock. Last month

Fusion sales surged with 21,740 vehicles sold, a 71% increase over last year, which is the first time Fusion sales had

exceeded 20,000 unit mark in the month of October. Compared to the prior October record set in 2011, Fusion was up

a strong 20% at a total at 29% retail.

Dealers on the coast have been very pleased with Fusion sales performance, we’re seeing some of our fastest retail sales

growth for Fusion on the coasts including New York up 127%, San Francisco up 116% and Los Angeles up 77%. Seattle was

also showing a lot of strength up 94% while Miami has been up 62%. Fusion broke an October retail sales and every one of

our five market areas nationally.

Lots of growth for Fusion in key areas for Ford, great signs ahead of next years' driving season.

John Felice:

October ‘13 Escape sales of 22,253 vehicles were up 12% this marks Escape’s best performance since October 2001.

Well we’ve been doing great on the West Coast, one market area we’ve been watching closely with Escape is New York.

The tri-state area representing the largest utility market in the country over 10% of all utility vehicles sold in America today.

Escape’s retail sales performance in New York market area is up 86% for October representing record retail sales for the month. It’s so encouraging that we are attracting new customers to our brand with Escape. Our largest competitor conquest in the New York is behind the CRV.

Edited by jpd80

We carry 1 gallon ice cream containers in the car for that very reason. :)

Of course, I got the projectile vomit when my son was 2. While we were shopping. And still in the store. And the projectile was directed squarely at me.

Ever walked to the cash register carrying a kid in nothing but a diaper and tennis shoes, while you yourself are covered in vomit? Buying nothing but a new shirt to replace the one you're wearing? Ahhh, good times! :)

Vinyl works in cool climates, but try jumping into vinyl trim that's been sitting in the baking sun,

I almost branded the back of my legs many a time with 1970s Fords.

I think seat covers or cheap rug are a good answer for children who get car sick.

Edited by jpd80

This is amazing, the avg Fusion sold is going for $3250 more than a Camry. I'm sure with Flat Rock now making more of the lower end models now those ATP will be a bit lower, but this is very good for profitability.

What makes you think that Flat Rock is building lower series variants?

Last I heard, Ford builds to the market preference which at the moment is for mid and high series Fusions.

What makes you think that Flat Rock is building lower series variants?

Last I heard, Ford builds to the market preference which at the moment is for mid and high series Fusions.

Flat Rock is restricted to only building S and SE models and only with certain options.

Note:

Only 2 Fusion configurations are being built at FRAP. They are the S Series (P0G) & the FWD SE (P0H)

with a 1.5L or 2.5L Engine.

Paint Not Buildable at FRAP:

• BT - Dark Side Metallic

• D7 - Sunset

Options Not Buildable at FRAP:

• 18C – Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

• 47B – Start-Stop

• 52A – Heated Steering Wheel

• 53B – Adaptive Cruise Control with Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support

• 62A – Intelligent Access w/Push Button Start

• 64B – 18” Premium Painted Luxury Wheel

• 67B – Rear Inflatable Seat Belts

• 90A – SE Luxury Driver Assist Package

• 96B – Trunk Cargo Net