Ford Says Utilities Key to Growth

What makes you think that Edge won't be built on the new CD4 line in Spain for Europe and global markets?

It's not set to launch there until 2017 which is just after the S-Max and Galaxy end at Genk and transfer to Spain

The crash protection panels in the front of Euro CD4s are different enough to necessitate building them there,

global export markets generally follow European design and crash testing rules so building Edge there makes sense.

I hope you are right and the Edge will be produced in Valencia. A 2017 introduction seems to be a little late in my oppinion, the German car magazines claim the Edge will bei sold in Europe from 2015, but what do they know. Maybe there will be an announcement in Barcelona next week. A letdown for me is that the Ecosport won´t be built in Cologne for the European market, although it is based on the Fiesta, but will be imported from India, which seems to mean restricted choices in engine availability (only one Diesel engine with only 90 hp) and equipment (no AWD for instance), so I am afraid Ford might proceed the same way with the Edge.

Why couldn't they ship the engines from England? Where were the diesels found in Chryslers sold in the EU products sourced from? The engine in the 300 according to Wikipedia is 3.0 MD diesel and the voyager a 2.4 L from VM Motori. Not even in thier own diesel engines. For years Explorers had the Cologne 4.0 V6, somehow that made sense

Why couldn't they ship the engines from England? Where were the diesels found in Chryslers sold in the EU products sourced from? The engine in the 300 according to Wikipedia is 3.0 MD diesel and the voyager a 2.4 L from VM Motori. Not even in thier own diesel engines. For years Explorers had the Cologne 4.0 V6, somehow that made sense

I hope that Ford is willing to either ship the engines from England or produce the Edge in Europe, because for me that would mean that Ford is taking "One Ford" seriously. You are right in that it seems to work out for Chrysler. Good point referring to the Cologne V6 as well. Yes, Ford is a different company now, so let us hope that Ford is going to do the right steps for the Edge in Europe.

I hope you are right and the Edge will be produced in Valencia. A 2017 introduction seems to be a little late in my oppinion, the German car magazines claim the Edge will bei sold in Europe from 2015, but what do they know. Maybe there will be an announcement in Barcelona next week. A letdown for me is that the Ecosport won´t be built in Cologne for the European market, although it is based on the Fiesta, but will be imported from India, which seems to mean restricted choices in engine availability (only one Diesel engine with only 90 hp) and equipment (no AWD for instance), so I am afraid Ford might proceed the same way with the Edge.

Edge is a very different price point and market than an Ecosport. If anything it will have even more options and higher equipment levels than are available on the one in the US. Look at the Kuga, Focus and Mondeo.

Edge is a very different price point and market than an Ecosport. If anything it will have even more options and higher equipment levels than are available on the one in the US. Look at the Kuga, Focus and Mondeo.

Kuga, Focus and Mondeo are built in Europe. If Ford is going to import the Edge to Europe I don't think we can expect to see more options or higher equipment levels than the ones being offered in the US due to added complexity and cost reasons. But you could be right if Ford decides to offer the Edge with options or create equipment levels for export to Europe based on options or equipment that will be exclusive for the next Lincoln MKX in the US. There won't be a MKX in Europe, so Ford could take the Edge to a higher price point in Europe by offering more options and/or higher equipment levels without having to be worried of stepping on Lincolns shoes.

I am sorry if my English is a little weird sometimes, I am German so English is not my native language.

I am a longtime lurker and decided to get active in this forum because I have been a Ford guy since I was a child and this is a great place for sharing my passion for Ford vehicles with likeminded people, especially now that the Mustang, my favourite car since I was seven years old, will finally be sold in Europe.

• Like 1

Kuga, Focus and Mondeo are built in Europe. If Ford is going to import the Edge to Europe I don't think we can expect to see more options or higher equipment levels than the ones being offered in the US due to added complexity and cost reasons. But you could be right if Ford decides to offer the Edge with options or create equipment levels for export to Europe based on options or equipment that will be exclusive for the next Lincoln MKX in the US. There won't be a MKX in Europe, so Ford could take the Edge to a higher price point in Europe by offering more options and/or higher equipment levels without having to be worried of stepping on Lincolns shoes.

I am sorry if my English is a little weird sometimes, I am German so English is not my native language.

I am a longtime lurker and decided to get active in this forum because I have been a Ford guy since I was a child and this is a great place for sharing my passion for Ford vehicles with likeminded people, especially now that the Mustang, my favourite car since I was seven years old, will finally be sold in Europe.

The question is Oakville and the product there. I could see Canada as the sole source of Edge's. You have a plant that could produce 350,000 units, if Ford kills the Flex/MKT you have a single product at that plant - even in N.A. there isn't enough volume for the Edge/MXK to keep a whole plant going. I don't see the Edge being a huge seller in Europe, I think it will sell well for its class, I would be impressed if it hit 25% of the US sales in a month, I think that number will be closer to 15% though.

Powertrain will be full Gas/Diesel/Hybrid depending on market.

Who uses keys anymore? :poke:

Had to drive the 08 Edge the other day. It was horrific. I first had to remove my keys from my pocket and press a button to unlock the door. Then I had to put this "key" into a slot in the steering wheel and turn it to start the vehicle. I then had to remove said "key" and press another button to lock it. I also had to manually dim the brights every time a car approached and manually release the parking brake. It was exhausting. I don't know how she does it every day. :) :) :)

• Like 1

Had to drive the 08 Edge the other day. It was horrific. I first had to remove my keys from my pocket and press a button to unlock the door. Then I had to put this "key" into a slot in the steering wheel and turn it to start the vehicle. I then had to remove said "key" and press another button to lock it. I also had to manually dim the brights every time a car approached and manually release the parking brake. It was exhausting. I don't know how she does it every day. :) :) :)

Its amazing how easy it is to get used to those things! LOL When I drive my Mustang after driving the SHO, its like driving a dinosaur LOL Then again that is part of its appeal :p

Its amazing how easy it is to get used to those things! LOL When I drive my Mustang after driving the SHO, its like driving a dinosaur LOL Then again that is part of its appeal :p

Yeah, I always grab the door handles on my Mustang now and just expect the doors to unlock themselves.

• Like 1

Yeah, I always grab the door handles on my Mustang now and just expect the doors to unlock themselves.

About 6 months after I got my Fusion I asked my wife to drive home since I had imbibed a little at dinner. She was waving her purse at the door handle waiting for it to unlock without touching the handle. After I stopped laughing I reminded her to touch the inside of the handle to unlock it. And she had already driven it a couple of times.

Great! Now how bout a new Bronco that can take on the Jeep, both here and in China, Australlia, and whereever roads are scarce :)

By Jeep, I assume you are talking about Wrangler... and those kind of places have little use for a Wrangler-like vehicle. But fortunately, Ford already sells what they need and want and an all-new one will go on sale in just a few months.

2014_ford_everest_suv_01_1-0813-450x240.

Edited by bzcat

IIRC, back in the day, North American made Explorers were shipped to Magna in Europe for conversion to RHD and final assembly.

Similar thing could happen with the Edge.

IIRC, back in the day, North American made Explorers were shipped to Magna in Europe for conversion to RHD and final assembly.

Similar thing could happen with the Edge.

Could be the way they go, or maybe even build them as RHD at the time of assembly in Oakville. The plant should have the capacity to build them for the entire global market for the time being should the logistics of that make sense.