2015 GMC Canyon

PRM

Information coming out today. As anticipated, a restyled Colorado. They mention a six speed manual. That's different. Either way, it will answer the endless debates on whether there is really a market for a modern rendition of something smaller than the 1500/F150.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-gmc-canyon-photos-and-info-news

Better photo gallery:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-image/2015-gmc-canyon-unveiled-photo-gallery/177349.html#sjmp

Edited by PRM
  • Like 1

I don't see how these things can pay their own way considering how much GM spent developing them by changing the global platform and putting 2 top hats on it.

And you know at least half of the sales will come from the full-sized trucks.

Edited by akirby

I'm sure they think sales will come from Tacomas, Frontiers, Ridgelines, F150s, Ram 1500s and various crossovers too. And yes, some will come from Silverados/Sierras. They must think the combination of the med and large (Silverados/Sierras) is greater than the large models alone. We'll all know soon enough what the actual impact will be. GM even said many left to the crossover market that they hope to get back.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140112/BUSINESS03/301120015/GM-revealing-2015-GMC-Canyon-midsize-pickup

GM has spent a lot of money adapting its global mid sized truck for the North American market,

I have no doubt that it will attract a significant amount of buyers to justify its reintroduction but

the real problem I see is this:

While GM hopes the new Colorado and Canyon will conquest competitor's products more than its own,

I can see the reverse happening as GM buyers walk into showrooms and rediscover mid sized trucks.

It will be interesting to see the nett effect sales and whether there's a real influx of returning buyers..

Edited by jpd80

Looking at the Canyon vs. the Colorado, it's apparent they have worked hard on the aero for the GMC. Includes active grille shutters and the front airdam is pretty low. Without people or some object to compare to, the truck does not look like a small truck. It's just a tad bit larger than the Sport Tracs, albeit quite a bit lighter.

I hear you ^^^. I think Ford has a winner on their hands with the '15 F150. Still too big for my use, but a nice looking truck. 700lbs is a big deal. Just imagine a 90% scale version with all the same engineering. That's what I want.

You have to feel for Canyon, it's a nice looking truck but one that's now unfortunately overshadowed by a much better F150.

If Colorado and Canyon has been released at any other time, then I would think that GM had a potential winner on their hands.

Mid sized truck market is tough but a good looking truck like Canyon may put a bomb under Tacoma's keester.

Edited by jpd80

Chevy sold 3400 Colorados last year and GM sold a whopping 929 Canyons.

Even with these new models, I don't think Toyota will lose any sleep. I don't even know if Nissan would, and their product is Jurassic.

I predict brisk initial sales followed by a flatline.

Don't they have a better V6 to put in this thing? Less torque than the Frontier. but maybe it has good FE? :shrug: Lord knows it better be quieter ;)

Edited by the_spaniard

Chevy sold 3400 Colorados last year and GM sold a whopping 929 Canyons.

Even with these new models, I don't think Toyota will lose any sleep. I don't even know if Nissan would, and their product is Jurassic.

I predict brisk initial sales followed by a flatline.

Don't they have a better V6 to put in this thing? Less torque than the Frontier. but maybe it has good FE? :shrug: Lord knows it better be quieter ;)

For sales since the last mid-size truck GM built was 2012 I dont think it was people didnt want them. The competitor that has the most to lose would be Nissan since its based on the US only Titan platform. The Tacoma is a global truck that sells well in other nations, also the 4Runner is based on it.

For sales since the last mid-size truck GM built was 2012 I dont think it was people didnt want them. The competitor that has the most to lose would be Nissan since its based on the US only Titan platform. The Tacoma is a global truck that sells well in other nations, also the 4Runner is based on it.

I know, but how can you say people didn't want them when combined they didn't sell 5000 trucks all year? Nissan sold over that in Frontiers last December...and yeah I can't figure out why either. The platform is eight years old, Though it has some nice power, I wouldn't exactly call the V6 "smooth" or "quiet" and it gets pretty asstacular fuel economy.

I like the Frontier, it is a simple, tough truck. But I wouldn't buy the one I like new for $29K (V6, 4x4 6-speed, locking rear diff, etc). I'm still waiting for a real compact truck again. You know, for that HUGE over 40 single guy with a dog demographic. :doh:

I just read that Nissan is planning another refresh (AKA new grill) for the Frontier in 2015. I seriously doubt it would be around that long. It would be the same truck 10 years later. I think there is currently room for two in the mid-size market, but not three. The pieces of the pie are just too small.

Rumors are Nissan has been trying to kill the Frontier and the Xterra for years. They want to do it in one shot, but the Frontier keeps selling a bit, and the Xterra not so much. At least I get to tool around in my beater Ranger for a few months a year.

Edited by the_spaniard

I know, but how can you say people didn't want them when combined they didn't sell 5000 trucks all year? Nissan sold over that in Frontiers last December...and yeah I can't figure out why either. The platform is eight years old, Though it has some nice power, I wouldn't exactly call the V6 "smooth" or "quiet" and it gets pretty asstacular fuel economy.

I like the Frontier, it is a simple, tough truck. But I wouldn't buy the one I like new for $29K (V6, 4x4 6-speed, locking rear diff, etc). I'm still waiting for a real compact truck again. You know, for that HUGE over 40 single guy with a dog demographic. :doh:

I just read that Nissan is planning another refresh (AKA new grill) for the Frontier in 2015. I seriously doubt it would be around that long. It would be the same truck 10 years later. I think there is currently room for two in the mid-size market, but not three. The pieces of the pie are just too small.

Rumors are Nissan has been trying to kill the Frontier and the Xterra for years. They want to do it in one shot, but the Frontier keeps selling a bit, and the Xterra not so much. At least I get to tool around in my beater Ranger for a few months a year.

The factory where the GM twins were built was shut-down in '12. Most GM trucks moved to the Wentzville Mo. factory. I be suprised if Nissan's US small truck program is around 2017.

Again, I know manufacturing stopped in 2012.

How were the sales?

You answered your question. Can't have good sales if their's no factory to make any for that year. The Ranger sold more then that when it was made, what happed to it when its factory closed?.

Can't have good sales if their's no factory to make any for that year.

How come they stopped making those trucks in the first place?

I mean, there are two logical conclusions here:

- the product didn't sell because the market is dwindling

or

- the product didn't sell because the product was crappy.

So here's the question:

If the first conclusion is true, what can GM do to change that, and if the second conclusion is true, why would anyone assume that GM's third attempt at a competitive compact truck would be successful, given that the previous two were not?

Edited by RichardJensen

How come they stopped making those trucks in the first place?

I mean, there are two logical conclusions here:

- the product didn't sell because the market is dwindling

or

- the product didn't sell because the product was crappy.

So here's the question:

If the first conclusion is true, what can GM do to change that, and if the second conclusion is true, why would anyone assume that GM's third attempt at a competitive compact truck would be successful, given that the previous two were not?

Ok I entertain this for a little . The Shreveport factory closed for good and as I said before the mid-size trucks went to Mo. where its cheaper to make. Why even bring-up will it be competitive If the current trucks in its class isnt even competitive?.

As what would GM do im not the CEO but I hope its to sell a pick-up truck that dont reqiure a CDL to drive.

Edited by Fgts

Ok I entertain this for a little . The Shreveport factory closed for good and as I said before the mid-size trucks went to Mo. where its cheaper to make. Why even bring-up will it be competitive If the current trucks in its class isnt even competitive?.

As what would GM do im not the CEO but I hope its to sell a pick-up truck that dont reqiure a CDL to drive.

Production at one UAW facility is cheaper than at another UAW facility? Really? How?

Secondly, GM has an almost three decade long record of failure in this segment--do you have anything other than, 'well the other trucks are also bad', to use as a basis for expecting a quality product this time around?