Chevy SS catches fire at Daytona

baggs32

There was a commenter on jalopnik who apparently works at the track. He had a picture from the tow truck. Anyways, it was a second battery that was added to the pace car for the extra electrical load The car has. He said it was in the trunk with the other factory battery which didn't go up in flames. If I had to guess, they didn't ventilate it properly.

So not really Chevy's fault but still not a good look for a car that's soon to be released.

http://jalopnik.com/chevy-ss-pace-car-goes-up-in-flames-at-sprint-unlimited-1523747377

Edited by jinx8402

There was a commenter on jalopnik who apparently works at the track. He had a picture from the tow truck. Anyways, it was a second battery that was added to the pace car for the extra electrical load The car has. He said it was in the trunk with the other factory battery which didn't go up in flames. If I had to guess, they didn't ventilate it properly.

So not really Chevy's fault but still not a good look for a car that's soon to be released.

http://jalopnik.com/chevy-ss-pace-car-goes-up-in-flames-at-sprint-unlimited-1523747377

Soon to be released? It's been out for a bit. If anything based on sales it's a car that's soon to be discontinued.

They couldn't sell this car at 30K and now expect a few years later for people to fork over 45K for the same car except even more bland.

Soon to be released? It's been out for a bit. If anything based on sales it's a car that's soon to be discontinued.

They couldn't sell this car at 30K and now expect a few years later for people to fork over 45K for the same car except even more bland.

From what I've read, it's a good car, but GM isn't heavily promoting it because of concerns over what its sales will do to GM's CAFE totals.

From what I've read, it's a good car, but GM isn't heavily promoting it because of concerns over what its sales will do to GM's CAFE totals.

And therefore it is on the market for exactly what reason?

A 'halo' car is a bad enough idea----and when it's a car that the majority of Americans have never heard of in the first place, it's even worse.

SS is nothing more than Reuss throwing Holden a bone just so they can say they exported VF Commodore and didn't lose their shirt.

It's basically an Aussie indigenous Commodore VF SS-V sports sedan that Holden wrongly thinks will work in the USA...

The styling and the flavor of the car is incorrect for the North American market - Holden is not listening.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

And therefore it is on the market for exactly what reason?

A 'halo' car is a bad enough idea----and when it's a car that the majority of Americans have never heard of in the first place, it's even worse.

Far be it from me to explain the rationale for GM's product and marketing decisions. I'd rather tackle an easier subject - like bringing peace to the Middle East.

The big problem that I saw at the Washington, D.C., auto show was that the new Impala is actually better looking, and more affordable than the SS (and SS is a lousy name - it means nothing to the average buyer).

Where are the lines of buyers for this car? All over BON, for years, the fans claimed "If only Ford would import the V8 RWD Falcon, they would sell like hot cakes!" GM has tried with both G8 and SS, where are the fan boys?

The usual excuses "I cant afford a new car", "My wife won't let me", "It's not a true American car" and the ever popular one "It doesnt look like the old 60's Impalas/muscle cars" WTF?

Ford save tons of cash not even bothering with AU Falcons. I could see old muscle car fans saying "Falcons were economy cars, i'm not paying $40K for a new one" and "for that much $, I'll get a Mustang". Taxi/police fleets would also balk, beacuse of the cost. For example, the new Aussie Caprice PPV's aren't flooding into police stations, as some fan boys claimed. Small gov'ts don't want to pay the price, just to patrol a suburb.

• Like 1