Want to make a diesel more effecient?

Diesel engines don't have spark plugs - they rely on high compression and heat to ignite the air/fuel mixture. That's why when you shut off a gas engine and it keeps running without spark it's called "dieseling". That's also why they have glow plugs to heat up the combustion chamber in cold weather.

Diesel engines don't have spark plugs - they rely on high compression and heat to ignite the air/fuel mixture. That's why when you shut off a gas engine and it keeps running without spark it's called "dieseling". That's also why they have glow plugs to heat up the combustion chamber in cold weather.

If I'm not mistaken, arent the glow plugs used in lieu of a traditional spark plug? I'm not 100% sure, I've never owned or worked on a diesel.

If that's true that also means that small nitro engines for R/C cars/planes/watercraft are technically diesel engines as well right?

I'm sure for patent reasons, the article/video is lacking on details. It doesn't say whether the engine is running solely on gasoline, or if there are two fuels being used. I thought I saw somewhere it said about two injectors. So I'm thinking the system runs different percent mix of fuels, depending on the situation.

I think MB has been at this longer and their engine plans utilize a GDIT that can switch to compression Ignition under certain conditions.

The problem with straight compression ignition is that it limits horse power and rev range to similar levels as a diesel..

Still, a gasoline engine that closely apes a diesel engine would have certain advantages, especially for trucks and Utes..

Edited by jpd80

Multi fuel ICE's (including with natural gas) have long held quite a promise and have been evaluated in academic/industrial research settings for many decades. Modern common rail injection systems seem to have provided some renewed interest in it, though. Some natural gas options available today in various ICE applications use diesel engines and inject diesel as the catalyst. There are various interests in this, vs. gasoline-diesel uses, to minimize cost, or minimize emissions (NOX etc) but it really isn't anything new at all.

Dual fuel applications from a consumer standpoint with retail light vehicles don't seem real likely, imho. IF it ever made a lot of sense it probably would happen in the heavier truck markets first, then to 3/4 tons 10-20 years later...then regular cars/trucks. As far as "driving people crazy" I'd just again note that I think Ford sells more diesel pickups than any other manufacturer.

Users prefer fueling a vehicle with a single fuel. Multiple fuels for a single vehicle is viewed as a headache, with opportunities for misfueling. In the US (and North America) there is a building desire for a low cost fuel and an engine with inherent low emissions - natural gas. The fueling infrastructure is building out, all that is needed are purpose designed engines, not converted diesels for class 6, 7, and 8. In some parts of the country fleets are having good experience with the Cummins/Wesport natural gas engines (lower cost fuel, lower maintenance costs, easier to hit emissions targets).

Also, there is much research going on on HCCI with gasoline.