What Is The Purpose Of Having Dash Panel Tachometers On Automatics

And that sounds like the comment of someone who will be just as happy when steering, braking and accelerating are automatic too. Sounds like fun but count me out.

Let's bring back the crank starter and the choke valve while we're at it! :yahoo:

Seriously, I'm not anti-manual, but to insinuate that a car isn't a car unless it has a manual transmission is just... provincial.

For most drivers that would offer a substantial improvement.

Can't disagree there. And that's sad.

Let's bring back the crank starter and the choke valve while we're at it! :yahoo:

Seriously, I'm not anti-manual, but to insinuate that a car isn't a car unless it has a manual transmission is just... provincial.

First of all those two things do not add to the enjoyment or involvement of driving the car, just starting it.

Second I said a "real car" meaning one you want to operate for enjoyment, if you just want to get where you are going an auto is fine. Then again so is a cab, then you really don't have to involve yourself in what is going on, you just get there. Then people could text to their hearts content without endangering others.

• Like 1

First of all those two things do not add to the enjoyment or involvement of driving the car, just starting it.

Second I said a "real car" meaning one you want to operate for enjoyment, if you just want to get where you are going an auto is fine. Then again so is a cab, then you really don't have to involve yourself in what is going on, you just get there. Then people could text to their hearts content without endangering others.

I know people who drive manuals because they're the cheapest way for them to get from A to B, not because they enjoy driving. I know people who drive automatics that they fully enjoy driving, not just because they want to get somewhere. It's not as cut-and-dry as you're making it out to be.

Give me a Charger SRT8 over the most stripped-down, inexpensive Civic any day.

Hey, the tach is there because it may help sell the car. That is all that matters to the automaker.

And real cars have crank start, mechanical brakes, no clutch pedal, and gas tanks under the seat. At least to Model T devotees.

I know people who drive manuals because they're the cheapest way for them to get from A to B, not because they enjoy driving. I know people who drive automatics that they fully enjoy driving, not just because they want to get somewhere. It's not as cut-and-dry as you're making it out to be.

Give me a Charger SRT8 over the most stripped-down, inexpensive Civic any day.

There are always people who do the right thing for the right reasons and people who do the wrong thing for the right reasons, that does not change what is wrong and what is right. If you don't mind being one of the sheep that is fine with me. Just don't pretend your a Wolf.

Talk about argue for the sake of arguing.....I like up....I LIKE DOWN!!! :baby:

First off, there is nothing as stimulating as a good argument! Well maybe sex, LOL.

and second that is silly, sometimes there is a reason to go up and sometimes there is a reason to go down, it always matters. This argument is not trivial it is for the very soul of driving!!!!

There are always people who do the right thing for the right reasons and people who do the wrong thing for the right reasons, that does not change what is wrong and what is right. If you don't mind being one of the sheep that is fine with me. Just don't pretend your a Wolf.

Thank you for your objectivity in this matter.

/sarcasm

Hey, the tach is there because it may help sell the car. That is all that matters to the automaker.

I thought we'd talked about bringing logic and reason into these discussions. I think you need to go to TTAC for five minutes and think about what you've done. ;)

And real cars have ... gas tanks under the seat.

Reminds me of when NBC was using rockets to show how dangerous GM's saddlebag gas tanks were when you ruptured them in the presence of lit rocket motors--I was driving a '70 F100 at the time, so I told everyone I didn't have to worry about that because my gas tank was where it belonged: in the cab with me.

Thank you for your objectivity in this matter.

/sarcasm

Sorry meant to say " right things for the wrong reasons" I was replying to the reasons people drove sticks for gas milage, which of course is true. That doesn't take away from the people who drive sticks because they want to be more involved with the car. I was not implying that you were "wrong" for being satisfied with an automatic. Just that it is not the same and to me not as engaging at all.

I do love to argue though, so thanks for the fun.

Sorry meant to say " right things for the wrong reasons" I was replying to the reasons people drove sticks for gas milage, which of course is true. That doesn't take away from the people who drive sticks because they want to be more involved with the car. I was not implying that you were "wrong" for being satisfied with an automatic. Just that it is not the same and to me not as engaging at all.

I do love to argue though, so thanks for the fun.

This was fun, actually. I like a good argument every now and then too. Ask my wife. lol

For the record, I'd get a manual if (1) I could drive one -- never had the chance to learn for real -- and (2) I could afford/justify a weekend car.

I actually miss driving a manual, but I wouldn't want one for a daily driver. I did that once upon a time and it got old in traffic.

But, like papilgee, I would buy one if I could afford a weekend car. The bonus would be that my wife wouldn't be able to drive it! :)

Ditto, except for the wife not being able to drive it. She grew up on stick shifts from age 11.

I plan to have either a mustang, a porsche or both for weekends/track events and they'll probably be manuals.

I got stuck in stop and go traffic in my Ranger manual one day and it killed me. No more manual daily drivers even though I don't have much traffic now.

I tried to teach my wife to drive a stick when we were dating. That was in my Bronco II, and it was geared rather high, so it was difficult to learn on. I decided in was in the best interest of our relationship to postpone the stick-driving lessons indefinitely. :)

A Bronco II? Man, if Ford would just make a new Bronco they could sell a billion of them! Ford is so stupid!

• Like 2

This was fun, actually. I like a good argument every now and then too. Ask my wife. lol

For the record, I'd get a manual if (1) I could drive one -- never had the chance to learn for real -- and (2) I could afford/justify a weekend car.

The only difference is with your wife you hopefully get "make up sex". Glad you had fun too. And you should definitely try to make time to learn to drive a stick, you will see the whole new level of enjoyment of driving, on the right car of course and not in commuter traffic. Those of course are the downside.

To me everyone should have to take their drivers test on a stick, you are being given a license to drive so you should be able to drive any car with it. If you never want to drive a stick again after that that is anyones choice.

My wife was driving a stick when I met her. I taught my son to drive a stick in a parking lot before he was ever on the road and he took his test in that car even though everyone else even the driving instructor tried to talk him out of it. Guess he thought he did a bad job. Don't even get me started on how much of a joke that mandatory crap is. I know I am in the minority but thats ok, I will keep preaching to save the driving souls of all. Even if I only save one person it is worth it.

The only difference is with your wife you hopefully get "make up sex". Glad you had fun too. And you should definitely try to make time to learn to drive a stick, you will see the whole new level of enjoyment of driving, on the right car of course and not in commuter traffic. Those of course are the downside.

To me everyone should have to take their drivers test on a stick, you are being given a license to drive so you should be able to drive any car with it. If you never want to drive a stick again after that that is anyones choice.

My wife was driving a stick when I met her. I taught my son to drive a stick in a parking lot before he was ever on the road and he took his test in that car even though everyone else even the driving instructor tried to talk him out of it. Guess he thought he did a bad job. Don't even get me started on how much of a joke that mandatory crap is. I know I am in the minority but thats ok, I will keep preaching to save the driving souls of all. Even if I only save one person it is worth it.

The way you feel about driving stick, I feel the exact same way about reading maps. Relying on GPS has made a whole generation of lazy folks. Mostly my generation.

I had a friend from Russia a few years back who, of course, grew up driving stick. She went to take a driving test for the US and actually failed it. Reason: she didn't know how to start the car since it was an automatic. lol

The way you feel about driving stick, I feel the exact same way about reading maps. Relying on GPS has made a whole generation of lazy folks. Mostly my generation.

I had a friend from Russia a few years back who, of course, grew up driving stick. She went to take a driving test for the US and actually failed it. Reason: she didn't know how to start the car since it was an automatic. lol

If you almost always have a GPS in your pocket with you, I don't really see how not wanting to read a map makes you lazy. Just makes you more efficient.

Are programmers lazy for using software to program a computer instead of making punch cards? :angry2:

If you need a tach to drive a stick, maybe you should be driving an auto.

Only car I remember driving with a stick where the tach was actually almost necessary was an old girlfriend's Accord. It was pretty darn quiet and smooth, even at higher revs, so it was sometimes not so easy to tell the engine was asking for a gear change. But yeah, it's usually pretty obvious when it's time to shift.

If you almost always have a GPS in your pocket with you, I don't really see how not wanting to read a map makes you lazy. Just makes you more efficient.

Are programmers lazy for using software to program a computer instead of making punch cards? :angry2:

1) There are times when using a GPS isn't as helpful. Like, say, when you're going along your way and suddenly there's a huge traffic jam (story of my adult life). I find it faster to have already mapped out alternate routes instead of having to manipulate the GPS map to find another way to go.

Plus, let's be real... for many people the GPS map function is a waste anyway. They just listen to or read the directions it gives.

2) Well, nothing uses punch cards anymore, so that's different. Now, if you asked me if programmers were lazy for coding in C++ rather than machine language, I might say yes. :stirpot:

1) There are times when using a GPS isn't as helpful. Like, say, when you're going along your way and suddenly there's a huge traffic jam (story of my adult life). I find it faster to have already mapped out alternate routes instead of having to manipulate the GPS map to find another way to go.

Plus, let's be real... for many people the GPS map function is a waste anyway. They just listen to or read the directions it gives.

2) Well, nothing uses punch cards anymore, so that's different. Now, if you asked me if programmers were lazy for coding in C++ rather than machine language, I might say yes. :stirpot:

1) When avoiding traffic I find GPS to be even more useful. Just pull off the road you're on and let the GPS tell you another way to go as you drive.

2) No one uses maps anymore either. ;)