Ford getting back into F1?

This news won't make coupe3w happy.

True...he won't understand the impact or investment that highlights the F1 demands as it relates to todays automotive designs....telemetrics, advanced suspension tech, modern era engines that ALL relate to todays automotive offerings from Fiesta all the way up to Taurus.....while I can agree that NHRA has interesting tech offerings too...F1 has a global reach....and if you want to be a global player, F1 is a way to expand your reach....NHRA is not....

I admit some selfish joy in this, as some of my favorite racing eras included the 80's and early 90's, in which I'd get to watch Fords in NASCAR, IMSA, SCCA, and with Cosworth in F1 and CART. Some weekends, I'd get to watch Fords win in several big series...and I loved it. Plus, being able to cheer for Alessandro Nannini in his Benetton B189 and Bill Elliott in his T-Bird was a fun kind of surreal...and would come after cheering for Roush Mustangs, Merkurs, or Cougars the day before.

It's been a long time since I could have that much Blue Oval racing in a weekend.

• Like 1

I think it could be a fantastic opportunity to globally push "Ecoboost", plus it'd get Ford back into some hallowed ground in terms of perception. Ford was raking in money during their best high-profile years in racing...which wasn't the only reason, obviously, but it speaks to corporate health and there's technological benefits to be reaped.

Oh...and I can't imagine any "real car guy" only caring about cars going straight for a handful of seconds. Sorry, had to get that off of my chest. All-around performance says "real car guy" to me much more.

Agreed that the tech benefits are less than they used to be. I see the biggest benefit is pushing the technology further than they would normally push it for street vehicle R&D and being able to try different things that a production schedule might preclude or would be too expensive for a production vehicle.

But I agree the only real benefit here would be as an engine supplier.

.........I hate the snobbish, arrogant f-1 bullsh%$......but that's just me.....Do ford owners drink champange or beer?.....

it's not just coupe3w....there are other "real" car guys here...

They drink both. But keep in mind there are big changes in F1 this year, and they include hybrids.

This news won't make coupe3w happy.

Makes me happy. As long as they go into with the intent to win and don't half a$$ it, like they do in drag racing and NASCAR.There is no reason for them not to be successful if a small team like Renault can be a player. But I don't see the ROI like akirby.

Ummm...Fords have won 3 races in Sprint Cup this season, and it seems like they're winning constantly in NHRA drag racing, too. I'm pretty iffy on "half assed".

Ford hasn't won the championship in NASCAR since 2002. What are you talking about in NHRA JFR? And Ford just pulled their support. Besides Funny Cars engines are spec Chrysler engines anyway. What about P/S no support and when was the last time a Ford won a Championship in P/S you have to go back to the Bob Glidden days.

I didn't know we were talking about P/S, it barely gets any headlines. I can't blame Ford for pulling support, as it's basically an advertising expense.

As for the NASCAR championships, one specific Chevy driver has spoiled the show for everyone else for most of that time. Kurt Busch won the drivers' championship in 2004, then JJ went on his streak. With the Petty and Penske programs showing better and Roush gaining some momentum, I think Ford is doing all they can. NASCAR will always support its current "golden boy", and it's JJ right now.

IMHO for what it would cost to develop winning engines for the regs, Ford could get more marketing mileage from WRC and European super touring series, and FIA competition, especially if the FIA regs might allow the new Mustang a class to compete at Lemans, depending on what size of engine gets stuffed into it.

Or spend that money on offering an AWD option on the Focus? :)

IMHO for what it would cost to develop winning engines for the regs, Ford could get more marketing mileage from WRC and European super touring series, and FIA competition, especially if the FIA regs might allow the new Mustang a class to compete at Lemans, depending on what size of engine gets stuffed into it.

Or spend that money on offering an AWD option on the Focus? :)

The most persistent rumor is that Ford intends to re-establish their relationship with Cosworth, who has done some of the R+D heavy lifting on an engine already but lacks a buyer. That strikes me as appealing on economic and historic levels. And Cosworth has been shopping for an OEM to put their turbo I4 on the street since Jaguar cancelled the C-X75, which would make for an interesting option atop the EcoBoost range.

Edited by Moosetang
  • Like 1

hehehe, I'm sorry, I just did that to stir the pot. I truthfully don't like f-1 or wrc or whatever else, I'm pretty much a Stock/SuperStock dragracing kind of guy. But, obviously if it's in Fords best interest to do something, then go for it. I just don't personally care.

The fact that they're running hybrids makes it that much worse for me as I detest them.

Really, whatever Ford wants to do I wish them the best of luck, right now a fair amount of money is being dumped into S/SS with the Cobra program and the chebby guys are really crying.(which speaks well of how Ford is doing) Even the vaunted hemi's who have a seperate class are no match for the new Cobra's. If they have money to throw at another class of racing, great, that just means Ford HAS money.

There can't be much bad with working with Cosworth again. I was sad that Ford sold them back in 2004 when the got out of F1. Selling the Jaguar F1team was probably a good idea, but they should have kept Cosworth.

Edited by traxiii