Tuned 3.5L Ecoboost Numbers

While dyno numbers are impressive, what is really shines about a tuned MKS or SHO is the combination of drivability, fuel economy and performance. To me, a 4500 pound AWD vehicle with a 2.77 gear that does 0-60 in the low 4s and runs the quarter in under 13 seconds is almost freaky fast. The 27 MPG cruising mileage is icing on the cake.

Of course, if driven hard, there will be more strain on the transmission. However, there are a surprising number of tuned SHOs that have dozens if not hundreds of dragstrips runs with absolutely no transmission issues. The 6F55 has proven to be pretty robust. I have never heard of a PTU failure on a MKS or SHO unless it was leaking and ran too low on lubricant. Not saying there are NO failures - just haven't heard of any.

891b266b-9632-4b31-a3e9-9cc979ec6a0c_zps

• Like 1

Nice thing about modding an F150 is that they do have a much more robust drivetrain than an SHO or MKS. The fastest SHO that I know of is in the high 11s in the quarter and uses Meth injection as well as a more aggressive tune than I have. I am happy with with way mine runs with just a fairly conservative 93 octane tune.

I don't see crazy high boost numbers but the boost does stay at its maximum all the way to the shift point. When stock, the boost dropped back at higher RPM. Speaking of boost, it is surprising how responsive the 3.5 is in a SHO or MKS when not using boost at all. While not as much fun, you can easily keep up with traffic and drive way over the speed limit and never get into the boost.

• Like 1

550 ft-lbs, per the "55" in the designator.

I don't recall how much multiplication there is in the torque converter but most of us with tunes are probably exceeding what Ford considers the safe limit. I think Ford is pretty conservative about this and rightly so. I cannot confirm it but the tuner that many of us use has said that the transmission will stand 700 lbs-ft before failing. They didn't say how many TIMES it will stand the 700 lbs-ft. - presumably just once. :)

I don't recall how much multiplication there is in the torque converter but most of us with tunes are probably exceeding what Ford considers the safe limit.

Per the engineer who ran the calibration teams on the 5R55 transmissions for the LS, the torque converter can double the torque from the engine; what saves the transmission is that the TC's max multiplication factor and the engine's peak torque generally don't coincide. I took that to mean that the TC is locked up well before peak torque, but I might not have understood him correctly (my map of slushboxen internals is clearly marked "Here Be Dragons" ;) ).

Edited by SoonerLS

The tune has torque management still. If you shut off advanced trac on the SHO with a tune, it will seriously pin you into the seats! I nearly made my wife vomit doing that ;)

My same friend ran a 13.5 1/4 pass with the same car!

While dyno numbers are impressive, what is really shines about a tuned MKS or SHO is the combination of drivability, fuel economy and performance. To me, a 4500 pound AWD vehicle with a 2.77 gear that does 0-60 in the low 4s and runs the quarter in under 13 seconds is almost freaky fast. The 27 MPG cruising mileage is icing on the cake.

Of course, if driven hard, there will be more strain on the transmission. However, there are a surprising number of tuned SHOs that have dozens if not hundreds of dragstrips runs with absolutely no transmission issues. The 6F55 has proven to be pretty robust. I have never heard of a PTU failure on a MKS or SHO unless it was leaking and ran too low on lubricant. Not saying there are NO failures - just haven't heard of any.

891b266b-9632-4b31-a3e9-9cc979ec6a0c_zps

Nice gauges!

kH9iDqw.jpg

550 ft-lbs, per the "55" in the designator.

I wasn't sure if that was still the case. I realize the 6 is six speed and F was fwd. The regular NA 3.5/3.7 fwd applications use a 6F50. So the transmission rating goes from 500ft lbs to 550 for ecoboost? Interesting. Either way that Trans is a pretty good one. Minimal problems even when introduced.

It's 550 ft/lbs but that's at the input shaft behind the torque converter. The torque converter multiplies the engine output considerably so it won't support 550 ft lbs at the flywheel.

Remember the 5R55 in the Ranger/Explorer/LS/Tbird had the same torque rating.

I think you mean 12.5...if your friend is who I think he is. With those dyno numbers, he SHOULD be around 12.5.

Yes I'm sure it is :) I just got back from Driving 6-7 hours from NC to MD in a Sentra, so my brain was a bit shot yesterday..

• Like 1

http://www.danzioperformance.com/?page_id=1493

for an off-road race truck

820hp Twin Turbo V6 GDI Ecoboost

We have just completed our latest V6 Twin Turbo Direct injected Ecoboost project, This engine is internally modified with custom racing components, This is the highest horsepower V6 Ecoboost that we know of in existance.

Here are some basic specs

Life Racing F90rx ECU

Turbonetics Custom Ball bearing Turbos

Turbonetics RG45 wastgates

Speaco intercooler

Custom Sheet metal intake manifold

Custom Dailey Dry sump system

dyno video:

http://vimeo.com/91425524

They are starting to get quite a lot of after market attention.

• Like 1