Ford to replace 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just 4 model years

Automotive News

June 24, 2014 - 6:00 pm ET

In an unusual move, Ford Motor Co. is phasing out its current 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just four model years.

Ford said today it is replacing the engine with a new 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder early next year beginning with the redesigned 2015 Edge. The current engine, which debuted in the 2011 Edge, will be gradually replaced in other vehicles.

Makowski said the new 2.0 has a new block, redesigned cylinder head, Borg-Warner twin scroll turbocharger, revised fuel injectors and higher compression ratio. It weighs about 10 pounds less than the current engine.

The new head has three exhaust ports routed into a manifold that channels exhaust gas pulses from cylinders 2 and 3, and 1 and 4, separately into each scroll of the turbocharger. This reduces the time needed for the turbocharger to reach full speed. The result, Makowski said, is a more responsive vehicle.

Ford officials would not comment on the new 2.0’s power output, which will be rated higher than the current engine’s 240 hp and 270 pounds-feet of torque. “We don’t go backwards,” Makowski said.

Ford has learned a lot from its combustion studies and will take Ecoboost to another level with power and economy.

I'm betting we're looking at around 270 HP/290 lb ft which makes the engine even more usable and a real conundrum

for Ford in that the new EB 2.0 will be supplied as AWD only.... I wonder if that applies to next Focus ST...

Ford has learned a lot from its combustion studies and will take Ecoboost to another level with power and economy.

I'm betting we're looking at around 270 HP/290 lb ft which makes the engine even more usable and a real conundrum

for Ford in that the new EB 2.0 will be supplied as AWD only.... I wonder if that applies to next Focus ST...

If you read the press release from Ford, it says the engine will produce an estimated 245hp/270lb and AWD will be optional.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/06/24/all-new-2015-edge-showcases-fords-best-technology--more-driver-a.html

If you read the press release from Ford, it says the engine will produce an estimated 245hp/270lb and AWD will be optional.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/06/24/all-new-2015-edge-showcases-fords-best-technology--more-driver-a.html

And the article i quoted says:

Ford officials would not comment on the new 2.0’s power output, which will be rated higher than the current engine’s 240 hp and 270 pounds-feet of torque. “We don’t go backwards,” Makowski said.

Hmm,

245hp/270lb is almost the same as what the current 2.0 Ecoboost produces,

Increase in comp ratio points to improvements in off boost light throttle torque

and twin scroll turbo is to assist transient boost characteristics.

Ford has listened to feedback and looks to be making the Ecoboost behave more as buyers expect.

Edited by jpd80

I was going to ask about this...I saw in the Edge press releases that they where talking about a new 2.0 Ecoboost engine. As for it being AWD only...its only FWD in the upcoming Edge.

I'm assuming this is more or less the 1.6L Ecoboost becoming the 1.5L ecoboost....and this might be just a stroked out 1.5L engine?

They're just applying the new design from the new EB engines (1.5L, 1.0L, 2.7L) to the older design.

I think we knew this was coming at some point due to the cooling and fuel economy issues with the 2.0L.

I'm perfectly happy with mine - I'm getting the mpg I expected based on my driving style and route and previous vehicles.

Although I have to confess I have my eye on a 2.3L EB replacement (wrapped in a magnetic grey mustang convertible).

• Like 1

I was going to ask about this...I saw in the Edge press releases that they where talking about a new 2.0 Ecoboost engine. As for it being AWD only...its only FWD in the upcoming Edge.

I'm assuming this is more or less the 1.6L Ecoboost becoming the 1.5L ecoboost....and this might be just a stroked out 1.5L engine?

Based on what I've read, it sounds like AWD should be available on the 2.0EB Edge. It appears to be standard with the 3.5 or 2.7EB.

Edited by NickF1011

Based on what I've read, it sounds like AWD should be available on the 2.0EB Edge. It appears to be standard with the 3.5 or 2.7EB.

Yep

The 2.0T can either send its power to the front axle or through a full-time all-wheel-drive system. The 3.5 and 2.7 are AWD only.

I am very curious about how similar/dissimilar these 2 engines (2.0L EB and 2.3L EB) are.

I found out today that the 2.3 will be built in Cleveland along with the 2L EB beginning this fall. So Cleveland will supply North America, while Valencia engine will supply Europe. So to answer your question. ...they are similar enough to be built on the same line.

Edited by mnm