Ford Taps Top Engineer to lead Lincoln

Hot off the press. Today's Automotive News:

"Kumar Galhotra, Ford Motor Co.’s top engineer, was named president of the Lincoln brand today, a new position that reports directly to CEO Mark Fields, in another management change designed to jumpstart sales at the luxury brand. Jim Farley, executive vice president of global sales, service and marketing, has directed Lincoln since 2012, and will continue to oversee Ford’s sales, service and marketing operations, but will also have a role in Lincoln’s marketing and product plans, Ford said today. “Now is the right time to have a dedicated global leader for the brand,” Ford spokeswoman Susan Krusel said today. She said it was Farley who recommended to Ford’s board that Lincoln get a “totally dedicated leader.” Galhotra, 48, has been Ford’s vice president of engineering since August 2013. He will oversee all Lincoln operations worldwide, including product development; marketing, sales and service; and all team members under the Lincoln brand.

The change is effective Sept. 1.

Fields said the move makes clear the company is “serious about Lincoln as a world-class luxury brand. “Now is the right time for the next chapter in accelerating Lincoln as a world-class luxury brand,” Fields said in a statement. “Kumar has more than 25 years of global product and business experience, including leading engineering for all of our Lincoln vehicles today. Being our dedicated senior Lincoln leader will serve our clients, employees and dealers extremely well going forward."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140722/OEM02/140729977/ford-taps-top-engineer-to-lead-lincoln?cciid=email-autonews-blast&r=8221J0649801H2C

another management change designed to jumpstart sales at the luxury brand.

Wut?

Perhaps this move is more about, oh, I don't know, overseeing a sizable organization, and not just about 'jumpstarting sales'.

I'm surprised the writer didn't add the 'struggling luxury brand' boilerplate.

Not to defend the writer, but in journalism school, you’re taught to report the good stuff as well as the bad stuff. And you definitely don’t want to write something that sounds like a press release.

But I agree, the writer was lazy and used the standard cliche' when he wrote his piece.

Not to defend the writer, but in journalism school, you’re taught to report the good stuff as well as the bad stuff. And you definitely don’t want to write something that sounds like a press release.

But I agree, the writer was lazy and used the standard cliche' when he wrote his piece.

Actually, I was referring to the faulty conclusion that this move was intended to 'jumpstart' sales. Putting an unsupported conclusion in the lead is just sloppy.

Actually, I was referring to the faulty conclusion that this move was intended to 'jumpstart' sales. Putting an unsupported conclusion in the lead is just sloppy.

Especially when he knows that launching Lincoln in China will "jumpstart" sales in any regard..

Ford also hired another engineer-type.

LeftLane News

Additionally, Ford announced that Dr. Ken Washington will be taking over for the retiring Paul Mascarenas, who currently holds the position of chief technical officer and vice president, Research and Advanced Engineering. Mascarenas has spent the last 32 years with Ford.

Washington arrives from Lockheed Martin's Space Systems Company where he was vice president of the Space Technology Advanced Research & Development Laboratories. According to Ford, Washington will oversee the development and implementation of the company's technology strategy and plans. Washington will begin work on August 18.

I'd really like to read an in-depth interview with the new President of Lincoln in which he outlines his vision for Lincoln, how he plans to deal with its challenges, and his plans for Lincoln's future.

Edited by 1984Poke

I'd really like to read an in-depth interview with the new President of Lincoln in which he outlines his vision for Lincoln, how he plans to deal with its challenges, and his plans for Lincoln's future.

DITTO, 1984Poke thumb.gif

maybe email John at AutolineDetroit to suggest it? ...ASAP!!

I'd really like to hear him SPEAK about Lincoln

even if it's only the usual "suit's" empty rhetoric