Lincoln hires Matthew McConaughey as spokesperson for coming MKC ads

I read a little on him to find out, still, no clue. I dont really keep up on "famous" people and movies, and shows and all that.

I don't really keep up with popular culture, either, but McConaughey isn't exactly an overnight sensation. He was already a "known" actor when he appeared in Dazed and Confused in 1993. If he's had any troubles over the last twenty years, they don't seem to have stuck to him.

After watching the Cowboys' preseason games and DFW/North Texas ads that come along with them, I realized that I've been hearing him every week--he does voiceover work for Reliant Energy's TV ads. He has a very smooth, elegant delivery that ought to work well with Lincoln's direction. It vaguely reminds me of Cary Grant's delivery, just with a bit of a drawl.

• 2 weeks later...

The MKC commercials went in to HEAVY rotation this weekend. I must've seen a Lincoln commercial at least 3 or 4 times an hour. Whether you like them or not, people are taking notice. The local morning news anchors in LA were talking about them and they were even featured in the Entertainment report. They picked the bull as the favorite.

• Like 1

I wonder how the jagoff from the Caddy commercial would have handled that?

With much less grace and a couple of horns to the butt I believe.

He would have lectured the bull that most Cadillacs are rear-wheel-drive, just like BMWs, which means that nine out of 10 posters on automotive websites prefer them, even though they never buy brand-new cars. The bull is therefore obligated to move out of his way, in deference to his superior taste in cars.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 5

Wasn't that a parody of an actual Ford commercial with a guy repairing a watch or clock in the back seat of, like an LTD?

The commercials featured watch makers and jewelers performing various delicate operations in the back seat of a mid-1970s Mercury Grand Marquis.

The last really memorable Lincoln commercials before this latest batch were titled "The Valet" and ran in the mid-1980s. They feature valets and wealthy people confusing the downsized, front-wheel-drive Cadillacs with an Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight or a Buick Electra. Amidst the confusion, a well-dressed couple comes forward and tells the valet, "The Lincoln Town Car, please." Since nothing else looked like a Town Car by that time, he knows exactly which car is their car.

These commercials were devastatingly effective and really drove home the point about GM's "lookalike" luxury cars. If I recall correctly, Ford stopped running the commercials because Roger Smith himself called Ford leadership and asked them to stop running those ads. Lincoln Town Car sales were booming by 1985-86, while the Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles and Buicks were meeting stiff customer resistance. These ads were the equivalent of rubbing salt into GM's wounds.

Edited by grbeck

I remember the valet commercials.

And times have certainly changed from the 70s--can't imagine people today being swayed by the promise that a car basically floats down the road.

They were selling these cars to people like my father (born in 1934) and his parents.

They had felt the road all too keenly when riding in the old cars of the 1930s and 1940s. They had also experienced lots of road and wind noise, not to mention drafts from open windows necessitated by the lack of air conditioning.

For him, floating down the road at 65 mph with the air conditioning turned on and the AM/FM stereo set to his favorite station was the height of luxury.

My father is now 80, and his parents are gone, so that type of buyer is no longer driving in the market.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

Plus, the type of people who would have bought full-size cars now buy full-size pickups.

I was sitting in the parking lot of a grocery store in rural western Pennsylvania yesterday.

In the 1970s, we would have seen families pull up in an LTD, Grand Marquis or Continental Town Car, depending on their income.

Yesterday, their spiritual descendants were pulling up in an F-150 XLT, an F-150 King Ranch and an F-350 Super Duty Platinum.

Edited by grbeck

They were selling these cars to people like my father (born in 1934) and his parents.

They had felt the road all too keenly when riding in the old cars of the 1930s and 1940s. They had also experienced lots of road and wind noise, not to mention drafts from open windows necessitated by the lack of air conditioning.

For him, floating down the road at 65 mph with the air conditioning turned on and the AM/FM stereo set to his favorite station was the height of luxury.

My father is now 80, and his parents are gone, so that type of buyer is no longer driving in the market.

My dad just turned 80. His last 3 cars were a 1988 Crown Vic, 1992 Town Car and his present 2002 Grand Marquis. The 3 befor those were '77. '79 and '81 Caprice Classics that were low mile hand me downs from my grandfather..

• Like 1

My dad just turned 80. His last 3 cars were a 1988 Crown Vic, 1992 Town Car and his present 2002 Grand Marquis. The 3 befor those were '77. '79 and '81 Caprice Classics that were low mile hand me downs from my grandfather..

My parents loved their 1982 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. In retrospect, it was the perfect car for them from a size, room and ride standpoint. Their 1976 Delta 88 Royale Holiday sedan was too bloated, wasn't particularly roomy in relation to its size, and wasn't too structurally rigid. I remember driving it down a country road and watching the front fenders and hood flap like the wings of a jet airliner!

Edited by grbeck