Lincoln hires Matthew McConaughey as spokesperson for coming MKC ads

In one of the ads I saw, he was saying he liked Lincoln before even getting paid to like them...even though that's cheazy, it also came across as genuine to me.

I recall a line about diplomacy from a Star Trek novel that I read back when I was in college: "the secret to diplomacy is sincerity. Once you can fake that, the rest is easy," or something to that effect. ;)

But I agree--even though it could've come off as cheap advertising schlock, it came across as genuine.

Edited by SoonerLS

Since he wrote it, that would kinda be a requirement, wouldn't it?

I'm not an intellectual property attorney, so I can't really answer that, but I meant "on board" as in "more than simply accepting money for the use of the song." It has been a long time, but I recall him saying something to the effect of being honored by the request to use his song.

Edited by SoonerLS

I'm not an intellectual property attorney, so I can't really answer that, but I meant "on board" as in "more than simply accepting money for the use of the song." It has been a long time, but I recall him saying something to the effect of being honored by the request to use his song.

I would be really honored to receive royalty checks........

He may or may not have charged them for use of the song but being the writer he has to give permission for them to use it either way.

You can perform any song you want but if you can't sell it or use it for advertising without permission from the writer.

Like a Rock (1992-2004)

Chevrolet was trying to find a way to capitalize on the fact that its trucks held up for a long time.

Chevrolet General Manager Kurt Ritter, Chevy truck ad director Mac Whisner and Chevrolet Marketing Director Jeff Hurlbert spent six months researching Chevy's attributes, Ritter said.

Hurlbert said the goal was to "clean the slate and look at how we could move into a new theme line."

Campbell-Ewald was told to develop a campaign to communicate the truck's promise of durability in a meaningful, emotional way. Whisner recalls that the music was selected when Don Gould, Campbell-Ewald's truck creative director, was listening to a Bob Seger album and heard the song "Like a Rock." He thought it was a perfect way to embody the truck's toughness, and also suggested the owners were strong and self-reliant.

"I thought 'Like a Rock' was over the moon," Ritter said. "It captured the physicality of the truck," the independence of the truck buyer and the vehicle's durability. The campaign tested well among focus groups.

One man named Fred, a focus group participant who was vocal about his love for Toyota, said that hearing it made him want to go out and buy a Chevy. Said Whisner: "We called the tape of that group 'the Fred tape' and always included the tape as part of the presentation to show how dramatically the ad made a difference."

Said Hurlbert: "The people reacted so positively to it that we knew we had a home run."

A fundamental obstacle remained: persuading Seger to give permission to use the song. Initially he refused, not wanting it to be used in a commercial. After trying to persuade Seger's manager, Punch Andrews, for four months, Whisner was ready to give up when he got a call from Andrews agreeing to use the song in return for creative input on all the commercials.

What had changed? Whisner said that Seger was in a bar in Detroit when someone asked him, "When are you going to do something for the auto workers?" Whisner said the timing of that comment was just right.

I'm sure Lincoln's not complaining since she left the name ID at the end. Ellen has a big audience.

Lincoln was quite happy about both the Conan and Ellen spoofs. In the aforementioned AN First Shift video, a Lincoln spokesman said they tweeted it after it happened. I want to say they tweeted a link to the video, but yesterday was such a long time ago... ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back on topic, according to this morning's First Shift from Automotive News, Lincoln is happy with the spoofs of the MM ads, and they will not be buying ads during the Super Bowl.

This week's South Park episode made a lot of fun of Matthew McConaughey in the MKC commercial.