Lincoln boss: Two new models coming, *NOT* updated versions of current models

Buried in this article on the next gen Superduty...

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2014/09/29/ford-next-generation-super-duty-truck-will-aluminum/16435193/

Separately, Lincoln will add two new vehicles, Kumar Galhotra, head of Lincoln, said.

Galhotra did not say what they will be called, but they will not be new versions of existing vehicles. He also said the next-generation of the MKX mid-size crossover will launch next year.

Aviator and ___________?

If one is willing to consider the Aviator as meeting the threshold of 'not a new version of an existing model' even though it would replace the MKT, then the CD4+ Conti would be a logical guess for the next Lincoln.

Also:

CD4 - Midsize

CD5 - CUV variant

CD6 - next-gen Midsize (which should be in preliminary planning stages right about now).

If one is willing to consider the Aviator as meeting the threshold of 'not a new version of an existing model' even though it would replace the MKT, then the CD4+ Conti would be a logical guess for the next Lincoln.

Also:

CD4 - Midsize

CD5 - CUV variant

CD6 - next-gen Midsize (which should be in preliminary planning stages right about now).

If it replaces the MKT in the lineup - yes.

If they're calling a CD4 based Continental that's larger than a Fusion "not a new version of the MKS" then that's really a stretch (no pun intended).

It's no more a stretch than counting the 3 row Aviator as a new model, even though it's a replacement for the MKT.

So it's either two wholly new vehicles apart from the Aviator & Conti, or it's the Aviator and the Conti, IMO. And my vote is for the Aviator & Conti.

Edited by RichardJensen

Because the Conti basically takes up the MKS slot in the lineup. If the Conti name wasn't being reintroduced, the CD4 based large sedan would have been called an MKS.

A better question is why that PDF shows the MKT in production past 2020 with no updates?

I'm not entirely sure the provenance of this document, but it clearly does not tell the full story.

Edited by RichardJensen

There is an image of the Lincoln product plan pdf on GMI, if this shouldn't be shown please edit:

10676369_10152766109889859_1266079622989

I hope there is not problem with the photo, I take it from the PDF and posted it on GMI and FIN......not sure but could be Continental and a new RWD sedan, maybe Mustang based?.....the Aviator should be a MKT replacement

Because the Conti basically takes up the MKS slot in the lineup. If the Conti name wasn't being reintroduced, the CD4 based large sedan would have been called an MKS.

A better question is why that PDF shows the MKT in production past 2020 with no updates?

I'm not entirely sure the provenance of this document, but it clearly does not tell the full story.

IMHO because they are going to kill it!

My guess is that it only shows approximate dates for refreshes and updates and not phase-out dates. Of course it could also be completely fabricated as well.

There is nothing interesting about telling someone you just bought an MK_.

Thats the reason they do it, you don't drive a MK_. You just drive a Lincoln. At least thats the thinking behind it. Lexus legal is probably already in talks with GM over the CT"X" name -- Lexus has a current model called the CT.

• Like 1

RJ, in the plan (not the freep link), a "all-new, full-size sedan" will be out in 2016, as part of the "4 for 4".

So, if the Conti. makes it (as one of the two all new vehicles), it will be coexisting with MKS, not replacing it.

IMHO, Aviator is almost for sure as one of the new ones. The other one, can be a lot of things, RWD Conti, LincStang/Mark X, or MKFocus. However, based on another blurb in "the plan", that Lincoln wants to sell 300k per year globally, I'm leaning towards the MKFocus.