2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year - Honda CR-V?

jasonj80

The MKC's proportions resemble those of the Escape to the extent that both are crossovers with four wheels. But that's about it. These are two very distinct models.

I like the new CR-V, but making several mid-cycle improvements to a model hardly rates an award.

Edited by grbeck

The MKC's proportions resemble those of the Escape to the extent that both are crossovers with four wheels. But that's about it. These are two very distinct models.

I like the new CR-V, but making several mid-cycle improvements to a model hardly rates an award.

and the A-pillar, wheelbase and proportions are pretty much the same as EVERY OTHER CUV in the class. Idiots.

I could see that as a jaded writer's snide comment on the hypocrisy of selling the award and then cooking up reasons for it afterward.

Probably isn't the case, but you never know.

Either way if you read the reasons why the losers didn't win, it does come across that way.

Hey Carl - we picked the CR-V. Now go figure out something bad to say about all these other vehicles.

And if you're wondering if we would change our opinion of this award if a Ford vehicle had won the answer is no.

Well, if a Ford vehicle won it, it probably would've actually deserved it....you know....by being all new and having substantial upgrades over its predecessor. But why should those be requirements to win an award....pffft!

And if you're wondering if we would change our opinion of this award if a Ford vehicle had won the answer is no.

akirby, what is your impression of the 2010 Ford Fusion winning that year's Motor Trend Car of the Year award? MT provided a similar rationale to that award as it did to the 2015 SUV of the Year award - namely, that an already good product was improved significantly via new powertrains & interior and exterior design.

• Like 1

My impression of every MT OTY winner is the same - it doesn't mean a thing. And we've already discussed the reasons to death. Essentially it's just paid advertising. Whether the actual winner deserves it or not is strictly a coincidence.

But even if it wasn't based on advertising, here is the other reason it's irrelevant - only new vehicles are eligible. So let's say there are 12 vehicles in a segment and the top 6 are not changed for 2015 but #7 is and it wins COTY. COTY isn't the best vehicle in its class - there are 6 others arguably much better - but it wins.

• Like 1

Ford probably bought the award for the F150, but at least there's a plausible case to be made for it.

Yes; the same goes for Ford Transit (work vans are contenders for Motor Trend Truck of the Year). The relatively small number of entries for Truck of the Year compared to SUV of the Year and Car of the Year may just swing the former award in Ford's favor.

Never forget. We lost a lot of great Americans in that war. My father got a Purple Heart for his service. I will never forget. Nothing wrong with being patriotic.

So did the Germans but I don't see anyone hating Germans or BMW or MB or Audi.

So did the Brits at one time.

Toyota, Honda and modern day Japan has nothing to do with WWII. Same for Germany. And Britain for the revolutionary war.

So did the Germans but I don't see anyone hating Germans or BMW or MB or Audi.

So did the Brits at one time.

Toyota, Honda and modern day Japan has nothing to do with WWII. Same for Germany. And Britain for the revolutionary war.

But Germany didn't attack the USA, on American soil only Japan. And the British, well you know the story.

But Germany didn't attack the USA, on American soil only Japan. And the British, well you know the story.

Bravo, you are a true patriot to challenge the forum moderator (akirby) who labels people as "haters" if they disagree with him. Sadly, he always gets the last word.

Bravo, you are a true patriot to challenge the forum moderator (akirby) who labels people as "haters" if they disagree with him. Sadly, he always gets the last word.

I wasn't challenging him I was just stating facts. I don't think he labels me as a "hater" we all have our opinions. Thank you.

As someone who dives a CR-V on a regular basis for work I hope they have fixed the seating positions. The front tracks are short so that the seats don't go back far enough. I'm only 6'0" and I have a difficult time getting a comfortable position for my legs in them.

Well, the Japanese are short on stature. You should have known better. You're "only" 6'? I'm only 5' 4". I bet I could fit in one, LOL, but that will never happen.

akirby, what is your impression of the 2010 Ford Fusion winning that year's Motor Trend Car of the Year award? MT provided a similar rationale to that award as it did to the 2015 SUV of the Year award - namely, that an already good product was improved significantly via new powertrains & interior and exterior design.

I believe that 2010 was also when the Fusion Hybrid debuted, which was a big deal at the time. The availability of a hybrid version figured heavily in the magazine's decision.

Edited by grbeck