Ford Motor Company

It appears that the 2008 F250/350 will be released in January 2007; with a new engine and a new interior. Those components would be a minor improvement (maybe) over the existing design. But it is way too little way too late.

This will be the last major product launch that FMC will make before either bankruptcy is filed (Wall Street recommendation) or the company goes private (Bill’s recommendation). That last product launch (F250/350 MY 08/09)) has over 10,000 major short comings. At least 6,000 of those could be corrected before the launch at absolutely “no costâ€; but Ford will do nothing about it. Company management is absolutely determined to fail, and the world knows it.

FMC = The world’s Dumbest Company

It appears that the 2008 F250/350 will be released in January 2007; with a new engine and a new interior. Those components would be a minor improvement (maybe) over the existing design. But it is way too little way too late.

This will be the last major product launch that FMC will make before either bankruptcy is filed (Wall Street recommendation) or the company goes private (Bill’s recommendation). That last product launch (F250/350 MY 08/09)) has over 10,000 major short comings. At least 6,000 of those could be corrected before the launch at absolutely “no costâ€; but Ford will do nothing about it. Company management is absolutely determined to fail, and the world knows it.

FMC = The world’s Dumbest Company

You would not mind posting those 10 000 shortcomings .. or at least thwe 6 000 that can be fixed at no cost?

Or the basis for the prediction of how Ford's financial situation will be in January 2007

Hor how did an ALL NEW truck with carryover doors become a nosejob and ivnterior trim touchup?

Or how come the all new Diesel that was just announced all over the net today disappeared from your equation?

Or where is your glass bowl how this truck will be a failure?

oh and define MAJOR, because all new Escape trio, significantly better FiveHundred trio and completely reskinned Focus will debut as well.

Otherwise you are as full of it as my grandma's outhouse.

maybe dyo usimply are.

Igor

Wow people are very pessimistic!

I think people need to realize that Ford is still an incredibly ill company and everything that is being done now is neccessary to heal the patient before they can be discharged. Consequently, there isn't much fun and excitement to be had from cost cutting and product shuffling. Unfortunately, Ford continues to get beat up and sent back to the hospital by outside forces not entirely related to competition. It would be nice if people looked at the progress Ford has made and its commitments to improve under-performing products.

Edited by Edgey

Perhaps there is $20B in the FOMOCO "piggy bank"... However, the important question is how much liability does the company face in the near term? Ford Credit operates with borrowed money, unfunded funded pension fund is another biggie that must be paid up over the next several years, and another $4-5B write off for the upcoming buyouts. Your salary.... our cash burn rate is probably $4B per year!

Hope you get the point.

That piggie bank is not helping anyone on the 12th floor sleep at night.

Perhaps there is $20B in the FOMOCO "piggy bank"... However, the important question is how much liability does the company face in the near term? Ford Credit operates with borrowed money, unfunded funded pension fund is another biggie that must be paid up over the next several years, and another $4-5B write off for the upcoming buyouts. Your salary.... our cash burn rate is probably $4B per year!

Hope you get the point.

That piggie bank is not helping anyone on the 12th floor sleep at night.

1) Ford's near term liabilities are not sufficient to present a serious drain on cash. In the most recent quarter, Ford's operating activities generated a net gain of $10.3B in cash, as opposed to over $14B last year. That's $10.3B in cash free and clear of various expenses. However, this cash needs to be invested in, among other things, Ford's VEBA, etc. At the end of the quarter, Ford had about $425M less cash on hand.

2) Ford Credit does not operate off borrowed money (commerical paper) anywhere near as much as they used to. They're fine.

3) Unfunded pension liabilities are subtracted from shareholder equity. Ford uses a more conservative projection of future gains than GM (IIRC), Ford still has positive shareholder equity even after accounting for unfunded pension liabilities. This means that even after accounting for unfunded liabilities, they've got a better asset/liability ratio than GM.

4) Ford had planned on burning about $4B cash this year, that is about equal to what they got for Hertz. Apparently they'll burn through more than that. However, it seems unlikely that they'll be much worse off for it. Cutting production will result in lower revenue, but also lower materials costs, it will not affect Ford's cash flow as much as some are predicting.

Ford is not in as much trouble as some would have you believe. Their problems are not immediate term, they're 2-4 years out, unless they gets things turned around.

Yep, sounds good to me, hide your head in the sand, do the ostrich thing; and the problems are sure to go away.

FMC continued lack of creditable products for the market it is after is the number one problem.

If they are unable to be successful with the upcoming F250/350 launch, and there is every indication they will not be; it would only be a couple of short years before they close their doors.

FMC has two major under utilized assets; the work force and its dealers. Both management and engineering failures have been the key major element in addressing market requirements with products people are willing to buy.

It will take a lot more to save the company than hoping Mr. Ghosn calls Bill back.

Yep, sounds good to me, hide your head in the sand, do the ostrich thing; and the problems are sure to go away.

FMC continued lack of creditable products for the market it is after is the number one problem.

If they are unable to be successful with the upcoming F250/350 launch, and there is every indication they will not be; it would only be a couple of short years before they close their doors.

FMC has two major under utilized assets; the work force and its dealers. Both management and engineering failures have been the key major element in addressing market requirements with products people are willing to buy.

It will take a lot more to save the company than hoping Mr. Ghosn calls Bill back.

Lack of credible products?

F150

Mustang

Fusion Triplets

Coming this Fall: Edge

That's just the immediate picture. Why are you so focused on the Super Duty trucks?

P.S. I'm not in denial of Ford's problems, I just don't agree that there is nothing positive happening.

Edited by Harley Lover

Explorer refresh

Sales would be still in the shitter even if it got a new bodystyle, with gas prices and SUV thing running its course

Town Car

The next ride of the typical TC owner is a Hearst, the car needs to be dropped and replaced by something that appeals to not just to the bluehair set.

CV/GM

Another Name plate that should be dropped and replaced

Ranger

That F-100 can't come soon enough

Focus refresh

Yeah they dropped the ball, but don't you think 13 recalls/poor reliabilty had more of a negtive effect then a half-assed restyling?

Boring, but sales where not as horrible nor as good as you think, Restyled/reengined car by next Summer

Taurus

Dead as a doornail

F150

A great start; but already failing in the market place. The biggest short comming against the competition is no engine or transmission and it's inability to tow any thing over 4,000 lbs.

Mustang

This could be a great "calling card" for Ford - again it is the lack of 10,000 items - 6,000 could be done at no cost to make the product worthy in the market place. Living off the past, does not make a product fit for today's world.

Fusion Triplets

That's just the immediate picture. Why are you so focused on the Super Duty trucks?

Ford is no longer in the car business, their only current choice is to at least attempt to get the Super Duties "half right" with the next release. The Dodge Cummins (2500/3500)with the new automatic for late summer 2007 will be the nail in the coffin for Ford Super Duty. Dodge has at least addressed 60% of the items needed to succeed in the 3/4 and 1 ton market. FMC continues to let the truck business go the way of the car business; meaning there is no FMC.

P.S. I'm not in denial of Ford's problems, I just don't agree that there is nothing positive happening

The "postive" is knowing what is wrong and fixing it. Company management has to address the problems, and engineers have to do their job - there has been no indication they are even attempting to do this.

F150

A great start; but already failing in the market place. The biggest short comming against the competition is no engine or transmission and it's inability to tow any thing over 4,000 lbs.

I fail to see where all this "failing" talk about the F-series is coming from? It had a drop in sales for one month and the sky is falling? It is, and will for the foreseeable future, be the benchmark for fullsize pickups around the world. Let's not forget that an F-150 refresh is right around the corner after the new Super Duty is unveiled (which has already gotten positive press mind you).

Mustang

This could be a great "calling card" for Ford - again it is the lack of 10,000 items - 6,000 could be done at no cost to make the product worthy in the market place. Living off the past, does not make a product fit for today's world.

What in the heck are you babbling about? The Mustang has been one of the most successful cars in the history of the automobile. The most recent iteration has only made it MORE of a success. Not fit for today's world?? Tell that to the 150,000 people who buy them every year. When was the last time ANY other sport coupe even sold 100,000 units besides the Mustang? OBVIOUSLY Ford has this one RIGHT.

Fusion Triplets

Ford is no longer in the car business, their only current choice is to at least attempt to get the Super Duties "half right" with the next release.

When did Ford get out of the car business? Last I saw, Ford's CAR market share is on the rise. This should only be helped by the reskinned Focus and freshened D3's next year.

The new Super Duty will not make or break Ford. The updates look plenty significant to keep its current buyers happy and perhaps convince a few new ones to come take a look.

Edited by NickF1011

Mustang

Fusion Triplets

Ford is no longer in the car business, their only current choice is to at least attempt to get the Super Duties "half right" with the next release. The Dodge Cummins (2500/3500)with the new automatic for late summer 2007 will be the nail in the coffin for Ford Super Duty. Dodge has at least addressed 60% of the items needed to succeed in the 3/4 and 1 ton market. FMC continues to let the truck business go the way of the car business; meaning there is no FMC.

You've mentioned the '10000 things' - list 5 of them, for the mustang or the F250/350. I'm terribly curious.

I think some of the despair and "The sky is falling" rhetoric stems from commentator which haven't moved forward...they haven't changed as the auto industry have.

In various internet chatrooms I find it quite comical to hear someone say that a specific vehicle that sells less than 100K units, is considered a failure. Such in the case of the 500....

"OH it only sold 125K, it's weak, underpowered, it's a total failure"...

They forget the most important facet of manufacturing a product....

How many are them are customer, and not fleet sales?

Is it profittable to build at the volumes they sell?

Is it in a flexible manufacturing plant, that can compensate and reduce cost on logistics?

Does the vehicle possess quality?

Is it reliable whereas less warranty repairs costs are endured by the maker?

Did they reach their target sales figures?

Old school thinking is "IF they dont sell alot, is a failure". Whereas, reality is, "If the above is YES, we are moving forward".

Volume isn't worth anything unless the above questions are addressed in a positive way. All volume did back then was just keep factories running, to keep the UAW happy, at the cost of low resale value, we know this already.

So no... the Fusion will not reach Taurus sales volumes of 400K yearly. That was 1990's, this is 2006...totally different market, requires a totally different outlooks. Let's move positive in a Ford-ward direction and educate ourselves about what Ford's goals are, rather than what we think worked in the 90's, will work now.

So no... the Fusion will not reach Taurus sales volumes of 400K yearly. That was 1990's, this is 2006...totally different market,

Yes different, No Taurus. It don't seem all that different for the Accord and Camry... maybe you'd like to explain that one away???

BTW, where the H___ does anyone find 10,000(! :shrug: ! ) deficienies in any Ford product, let alone the F350??? Ford has a few ( fairly serious ) screwups to its credit, but nowhere near 10,000. Trust me, SysEng wouldn't be a customer for the last 20 years if there were any where near 10 screwups, let alone 10,000.

The media has already stated that the market will continue to be fragmented, the years of 400K+ units per model won't be common. Other than the F-150, Silverado, Camry and Accords, that'll probably be about it. This is out there, we have all spoken about this before, this isn't new news.

And the Accord and Camry both are perfect examples (thanks for bringing them up) of vehicles that combine all the business attributes I stated earlier. No they aren't the most powerful, no they aren't the most stylish, but they were vehicles that continue to be polished (not just in styling and conviniences) but manufacturing wise.

Although Toyota has stated publically, that they really don't make much money off the Camry, but it's a vehicle wish will bring someone in, in the hopes that later they'll trade-up onto a more profittable vehicle, or possibly Lexus.

All vehicles have different missions, for different companies. The mission statements for Fords products are out there. After combing them through you will notice they all have (the above mentioned attributes) in common.

Build them proffitable, don't flood the market with it, higher take rate on the higher trim levels, improvement on manufacturing and reliability, etc.

This is what makes for a positive vehicle for Ford...not some old-school thinking of set benchmark sales from 15 years ago.

F150

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

F150 market share this year is higher than it was last year. Last year's market share was higher than the year before, and the market share from that year was higher than the year before that.

F150 tow rating is 10,500, best in class. F150 payload: 3710 lbs, best in class.

You sure have your facts straight. I'm so impressed.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

F150 market share this year is higher than it was last year. Last year's market share was higher than the year before, and the market share from that year was higher than the year before that.

F150 tow rating is 10,500, best in class. F150 payload: 3710 lbs, best in class.

You sure have your facts straight. I'm so impressed.

PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Mulally has his work cut out for him. In FMC’s current state with only truck sales left, time is of the essence to save the company. He can definitely rally the troops; but his major short coming fully comprehending consumer demographics and how badly Ford has missed the market in the last 40 years can be a major stumbling block.

Even in the last three years GM has made some significant changes (at least for GM), while FMC continues to evaporate. The DaimlerChrysler merger has given Chrysler a shot in the arm and it has been the “new†market understanding that has led them to a somewhat brighter picture.

And the question of - 10,000 major deficiencies in product: You need only look at the Toyota Tundra web site, which has been “public†for over one year now, directly targets “one major†major item missing on every FMC vehicle. And if a FMC employee here on Blue Oval says it not true, then they are saying so strictly on a basis of denial. I have driven dozens of F150 and SuperDuty’s all over Texas and you guys are missing the mark in a big way.

With no competitive power train improvement on the F150 this year it will go the way of the Taurus by the end of 2007.

Mr. Mulally will need to save the company by getting the 60% of the 10,000 short comings corrected asap. The 6.4L diesel in the SuperDuty will not do it. If immediate corrections are not made to the trucks now, the cash hemorrhaging will continue unabated.

Wow!

I loved this-"only truck sales left" when Ford's cars have been getting headlines for their constant sales growth! Some blind people choose to be that way...

Does anyone want to join this guy in betting that the F150 will fo the way of the Taurus by the end of next year? I know how I'd bet on that. Pardon me if I disagree...and ask Toyota why they seem to have an ongoing spate of steering recalls in cars and trucks!

Also, we have another guy that's dismissing a new Ford motor before any reviews are written...some people prefer to have information BEFORE making judgements, but apparently no everyone.

Wow.

BTW, where the H___ does anyone find 10,000(! :shrug: ! ) deficienies in any Ford product, let alone the F350??? Ford has a few ( fairly serious ) screwups to its credit, but nowhere near 10,000. Trust me, SysEng wouldn't be a customer for the last 20 years if there were any where near 10 screwups, let alone 10,000.

10,000 failures? Isn't a car made up of about 10,000 parts? Does he claim that it is all wrong?

Pure BS - nothing else