Criminals beware; Ford cop cars are the fastest...

Yahoo / Bold Ride Ford Police car article

Powered by the turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 (365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque), the Ford Police Interceptor sedan out-gunned both of its V8 competitors in Michigan State Police testing, blitzing from zero to 60 mph in just 5.85 seconds and onto 100 mph in 14.19 seconds.

The comparable 6.0-liter V8 Chevrolet Caprice PPV (355 horsepower) came in second with 6.17 seconds and the 5.7-liter V8 Dodge Charger Pursuit (370 horsepower) finished third out the trio at 6.31 seconds.

ford-police-interceptor-3.jpg

Edited by twintornados

The 4 largest towns that surround Raleigh, NC seem to have adopted the Fords. Haven't looked close enough to see if they're EBs or not. I think most of the State Troopers I've seen on the beltline have been Chargers or Tahoes. Not sure what Raleigh (city) is buying--still see quite a few Crown Vics around.

The 4 largest towns that surround Raleigh, NC seem to have adopted the Fords. Haven't looked close enough to see if they're EBs or not. I think most of the State Troopers I've seen on the beltline have been Chargers or Tahoes. Not sure what Raleigh (city) is buying--still see quite a few Crown Vics around.

The way you check if there EB or not is the EB badge on the right rear of the trunk door on the Explorer and Taurus , the "felx fuel" and "AWD" may throw you off.

I believe I've seen one (and only one ) t.t. Taurus ever since they been introduce in Charles Co MD but wasn't to sure. It did have an odd exhaust note.

Edited by Fgts

I know some border patrol agents from the detroit post, they all hate the Chargers. They all say they're faster than the crown Vic until you have to turn. They only just started getting tauruses and explorers, and early reviews are all positive except for the typical Taurus being too cramped complaint we've all heard. The older guys still prefer the crown Vic and all say they will have to pry them from their cold, dead hands

The town next to me uses PI's, Another town uses PIU's and the local county sherrif has a mix of PI and new Caprices.

The MD State Police has a mix of PI and Caprices, along with their CVPI's

The odd thing is I haven't seen the NJ State Police using anything but CVPI's or Tahoes.

Whats going to happen to the Caprice in the next year or two, once Australian production closes up?

PIUs are everywhere in Central Ohio.

Columbus is replacing their CV's and 1st gen Chargers with a mix of PI and PIU's.

Most county SO's around here are switching over to PI and PIU.

My suburb of 15k people replacing all their Chargers with a mix of PI and PIU.

Two suburbs have dabbed in the Caprice... Hilliard as 3 I think and Dublin has 1.

Ohio State Highway Patrol is still using a mix of Charger and Tahoe (The OSP Charger livery was just named best looking police vehicle by some trade rag) but I've seen a few OSP PIU's recently.

Whats going to happen to the Caprice in the next year or two, once Australian production closes up?

Step 1: Debut a police vehicle built overseas by a division you plan to kill.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 1

The problem is that people dislike change...and the PI is a huge change over the CVPI!

It's not even that, it's the BOF construction. Being border patrol that's a big deal, they actually use their cars to stop people and you just can't PIT with a unibody. Unless you really hate your front bumper or have a push bar on it Edited by fuzzymoomoo

It's not even that, it's the BOF construction. Being border patrol that's a big deal, they actually use their cars to stop people and you just can't PIT with a unibody. Unless you really hate your front bumper or have a push bar on it

Back in the early '90s, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol tested an Intrepid as a patrol car. It went well 'til they had to use it to stop someone--the damage to the car would only have required a body shop visit for the BOF CVs and Caprices they were running at the time, but it totaled the unibody Dodge.

I'm seeing more PIs and PIUs, though I still see far more CVs than either. I don't know if their PI/PIUs are EBs or not, as the local county mounties are still predominantly running CVs, Expeditions, and F-Series, and they're the only ones who don't give a flip if you keep up with them. :redcard: (They used to say that you could pass a county deputy at 80 while flipping him the bird, and he wouldn't care unless you were drunk or reckless. Some of the sheriffs have gotten into the revenue game, but most are still in the peace officer business.)

We were supposed to get 2 then 3 intercepters, then 4...just got the paperwork for 2 more for a total of 6 awd 3.7's. One that just got plated and hasn't been put in duty yet I had to run down to the dealership as the speedo was reading 60 while the digital was saying 30km's. Called today for an update and they are doing a WARRANTY RECALL 14B05 PWR TRN CALIBRATION.

Was playing with it a bit, when you stomp on it it takes off quite well, when you hit the button to put it in low and stomp on it...6500 comes up REAL fast LOL!

Around here it's all ford, either pi's or piu's.

Last Thursday I took our last charger to crown assets for selling or scrapping or just throwing it in the harbour....NOBODY is sorry to see those pos leave!