Next-gen Super-Duties caught testing (also a shot of the interior)

I'm beyond stoked to see the new superduty. It's by far my favorite looking truck off all time going back to '99 but it is getting a little long in the tooth and is ready for some all new sheetmetal. Ford dominates this market the hd market. They sell as much as gmc, chebbie, and dodge combined. The 3/4 market is huge for ford and is a cash cow for them so I expect some amazing improvements. I don't know if ford would go ifs A lot of people won't buy a goverment motors hd truck for that reason alone. For their market I think a solid front axle is best. I'm planning on picking up a new superduty this summer but I wanna see what this new one looks like beforehand. Any ideas/guesses when they could unveil it. I think they have done it in the past at the Texas state fair. I wouldn't be surprised if they did similar to 2008 model when the 2007 was a short run to get the '08's out. If they did that w the 2016 to get the '17 out earlier

I'm beyond stoked to see the new superduty. It's by far my favorite looking truck off all time going back to '99 but it is getting a little long in the tooth and is ready for some all new sheetmetal. Ford dominates this market the hd market. They sell as much as gmc, chebbie, and dodge combined. The 3/4 market is huge for ford and is a cash cow for them so I expect some amazing improvements. I don't know if ford would go ifs A lot of people won't buy a goverment motors hd truck for that reason alone. For their market I think a solid front axle is best. I'm planning on picking up a new superduty this summer but I wanna see what this new one looks like beforehand. Any ideas/guesses when they could unveil it. I think they have done it in the past at the Texas state fair. I wouldn't be surprised if they did similar to 2008 model when the 2007 was a short run to get the '08's out. If they did that w the 2016 to get the '17 out earlier

I would say more people buy GM trucks for the IFS and better ride/handling than buy Super Duties for the SFA alone. Will they lose a few sales to Ram? Probably, but I bet the better ride/handling will keep lure more buyers than they lose.

I'm wondering if they will make SFA standard with IFS optional. Originally, I was thinking they may do IFS on F250 and SFA on F350 up, but maybe not.

Remember Pioneer's comments about how we would be shocked and amazed at what they were doing with the next gen SD (or something to that effect?)?

Obviously it's aluminum and it wouldn't surprise me to share a lot more with the F150 including IFS. But I'm thinking drivetrain - hybrid? What about a 3.2L diesel electric hybrid? With electric motors you get instant torque.

Remember Pioneer's comments about how we would be shocked and amazed at what they were doing with the next gen SD (or something to that effect?)?

Obviously it's aluminum and it wouldn't surprise me to share a lot more with the F150 including IFS. But I'm thinking drivetrain - hybrid? What about a 3.2L diesel electric hybrid? With electric motors you get instant torque.

Make it a plug-in with a not-outrageous cost of entry and enough towing capability to tow my fiver and I'm in! Plug in means I can take the kids to school without using a drop of diesel. Not to mention, I can plug it in at the campground for a free charge!

Sadly, I don't see that all happening...

Ummm, current Super Duty trucks don't either:

Weird. I thought all Fords had that, seeing how they've had those little tabs for seemingly decades.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1127562&parttype=10041

Anyway, with that info, you're probably looking at the current SD ignition cylinder grafted into the new interior.

Weird. I thought all Fords had that, seeing how they've had those little tabs for seemingly decades.

Anyway, with that info, you're probably looking at the current SD ignition cylinder grafted into the new interior.

Honestly, I couldn't remember 100% for sure if my '08 SD had them or not. :)

I haven't seen that on any Ford product (or really any product) in years.

• Like 1

I would guess this is a 2wd truck, considering the front air dam is as low as a mustang. If it was 4x4, you still may not see the hubs because on a dually with offset wheels front and back like this truck, the hubs are hard to reach and see inside the front wheel spacer.

3.5 EB hybrid makes a lot of sense for SD especially if it has a plug-in Energi option, as an alternative to 6.2 gas V8. Not sure about 3.2 diesel hybrid... You are constantly cycling on and off the diesel engine in a hybrid setup... it's not going to pass emission.

3.5 EB hybrid makes a lot of sense for SD especially if it has a plug-in Energi option, as an alternative to 6.2 gas V8. Not sure about 3.2 diesel hybrid... You are constantly cycling on and off the diesel engine in a hybrid setup... it's not going to pass emission.

Unless they went crazy and did a Volt-like setup where the diesel engine was there to charge the batteries

I would guess this is a 2wd truck, considering the front air dam is as low as a mustang. If it was 4x4, you still may not see the hubs because on a dually with offset wheels front and back like this truck, the hubs are hard to reach and see inside the front wheel spacer.

You could be right about it being 2wd, and I think it has the stance of a 4x2, but the article did mention a t-case lever on the floor (of course, we know how that goes with 'journalists'). I zoomed in and I'm 99% sure there are no hubs. They are hard to reach on a dually, but they should be visible in that pic if they were there.

I would love to have a look under the front of that thing. I saw good pictures of a mule some time ago and it was clearly on the current (4X4) chassis. However, a mule is just that. Could be any collection of old and new components rigged up for a specific test.

That seems like a waste of a Diesel engine

Actually it's not. If the engine is allowed to run on its own (not connected to the wheels) it can run at whatever speed is optimal for either power or fuel economy to generate electricity. And it has to be an efficient powerplant to overcome the losses from converting mechanical energy to electricity and back again.

And if you're curious how that works - go look up diesel electric locomotives that appeared 60 years ago.

You could be right about it being 2wd, and I think it has the stance of a 4x2, but the article did mention a t-case lever on the floor (of course, we know how that goes with 'journalists'). I zoomed in and I'm 99% sure there are no hubs. They are hard to reach on a dually, but they should be visible in that pic if they were there.

Hmm........4WD without locking hubs....... hmmm..........

Actually it's not. If the engine is allowed to run on its own (not connected to the wheels) it can run at whatever speed is optimal for either power or fuel economy to generate electricity. And it has to be an efficient powerplant to overcome the losses from converting mechanical energy to electricity and back again.

And if you're curious how that works - go look up diesel electric locomotives that appeared 60 years ago.

I know exactly how it works, trains are another passion of mine. I just feel like it's not a practical use of a Diesel engine in an automotive setting