2016 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility Teased Before Chicago Auto Show Unveiling

Well, in fairness, I would compare Caprice numbers to PI numbers alone, since they're both sedans with alternate SUV offerings from both brands. I'm too lazy to look up sales numbers of the PI, sorry. :P

Ford sold 10,234 PIS in 2014... so yea... Chevy is a non-factor.

The biggest issue is when they are damaged. The most standard linear type decals could be replaced and purchased in sections. Even agencies like mine would have the remaining portions of the kits left to use when repairs were needed. On these newer total wraps, Can they be replaced in sections? If not, it could be expensive.

Ford press release:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/11/new-ford-police-interceptor-debuts-at-chicago-auto-show.html

Interesting use of the parking sensors:

Available Surveillance Mode technology warns the driver when someone approaches the rear of the vehicle. Upon detection, the driver’s window automatically raises and all doors lock. Ford is the first manufacturer to bring this innovative feature to market.

"Ford sold 10,234 PIS in 2014... so yea... Chevy is a non-factor."

The Explorer PI is 50% or so of market, per Detroit News. But, according to the 'Panther Mafia', Ford was supposed to "lose all the cop car market" when the CV was dropped. Since they said that "only the CV can be cop cars and nothing else". They forget that the 'classic' 60s/70s/80s Mopar RWD police cars were uni body.

Also, I think the Explorer makes more sense, since it can hold more equipment, more room in back seat, and has a authoritative presence. The CV's got so common as beat up cabs, they could be mistook for taxis. But also, they were just o-l-d.

Edited by 630land

Our patrol divisions are now almost all PI's with a handful of CVPI's and Tahoes. There are two PIU's but, only one of those are in patrol. I attended a Tahoe driving school and they had a PIU that they let us try out as well. The Tahoe wins hands down when it comes to room obviously. They run like a scalded cat and handle well for such a giant tank. The traction control/stability control is the biggest drawback for me. It needs to be dialed back some(a lot). The PIU had massive understeer which I haven't really noticed in the PI.Otherwise it is great. Not having looked at the numbers, it seems roomier than the PI too. The PI is liveable as far as space goes. It could be better though. The side to side room is cramped when there is only one Officer in the car. We sometimes have to double up Officers due to car shortages which makes it really tight. Getting in/out of the PI is not pretty at all. You have to twist and turn just right.

If I had to choose, I would take the PIU over the PI anyday. It's a toss up between the PIU and Tahoe for me. It is rumored that we are going all Tahoe. Our driving instructors want the PIU. Our equipment services manager was fired and our chief recently resigned for greener pastures so we'll see what happens.