2016 Honda Pilot leaks ahead of debut

PREMiERdrum

...fun fact from the 2013 fleet data reports we were pouring over a few months back (if I remember correctly): Honda Pilot had the highest amount of retail sales of any vehicle sold in NA (2013 data).

Because Honda just flat out refuses to do more than a handfull of fleet sales - period.

Because Honda just flat out refuses to do more than a handfull of fleet sales - period.

Yeah, but I'm not talking highest retail percentages...I'm talking highest retail units. (Again going by my failing memory, but I believe it sold more retail than F-Series / midsizers, etc...). I'll break out the chart when I get to work (on phone currently).

Of course I might be completely wrong and remembering something different. So don't put too much stock in what I say until I pull out the report.

Yeah, but I'm not talking highest retail percentages...I'm talking highest retail units. (Again going by my failing memory, but I believe it sold more retail than F-Series / midsizers, etc...). I'll break out the chart when I get to work (on phone currently).

Of course I might be completely wrong and remembering something different. So don't put too much stock in what I say until I pull out the report.

That would be surprising....

That would be surprising....

OK, back at work.

So I took this entire report and dumped it into a database and started querying against it. This is what I came up with for retail sales (remember this is 2013 data):

post-6726-0-63352900-1423750623.png

Now, this is only as accurate as the data in the linked report.

For example, in the linked report from auto-fleet, it says the F-Series had a total of 637k registrations for 2013. Ford's sales reports say they sold a total of 763k F-Series in 2013. Being that these are regsitrations vs sales data, I'm still not quite sure why there's such a large disparity, unless auto-fleet is only including the F-150 and not the larger F-Series (would which mostly be fleet anyway).

Either way, quite impressive numbers for the Pilot. I had no clue it sold so well without needing fleet sales.

post-6726-0-63352900-1423750623_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

OK, back at work.

So I took this entire report and dumped it into a database and started querying against it. This is what I came up with for retail sales (remember this is 2013 data):

For example, in the linked report from auto-fleet, it says the F-Series had a total of 637k registrations for 2013. Ford's sales reports say they sold a total of 763k F-Series in 2013. Being that these are regsitrations vs sales data, I'm still not quite sure why there's such a large disparity, unless auto-fleet is only including the F-150 and not the larger F-Series (would which mostly be fleet anyway).

Either way, quite impressive numbers for the Pilot. I had no clue it sold so well without needing fleet sales.

well from wikipedia

US pilot total sales 2013 - 126,678 . not that wikipedia is always right but 500k pilot sales seems too good to be true.

• Like 2

... in the linked report from auto-fleet, it says the F-Series had a total of 637k registrations for 2013. Ford's sales reports say they sold a total of 763k F-Series in 2013. Being that these are regsitrations vs sales data, I'm still not quite sure why there's such a large disparity...

Also consider that there are some fleet sales of F-Series where the truck will NEVER be on a public road (i.e. airport runway vehicle, mining operations, etc etc) and not be registered for use on a highway so the registration number will be less than total sales numbers. Just a thought. How many times have you been at an airport and see all those Ford trucks running around the tarmac and no plates on 'em.

well from wikipedia

US pilot total sales 2013 - 126,678 . not that wikipedia is always right but 500k pilot sales seems too good to be true.

Wow, thanks. I just verified that with Honda's official 2013 sales report and that is correct.

That entire auto-fleet report is garbage. How the hell did they release that with such glaring faults?

It will sell, as it's a huge improvement over the current one, which has an awkward front grille and headlight ensemble. If Honda can sell the current Pilot without much trouble, it should have no problem moving this one.

I hope that Honda also addressed the quality of the interior. A friend has a 2013 model, and its interior ambience leaves much to be desired (although he's very happy with the vehicle).

Not sure. That's one helluva typo if so. I wouldn't trust any numbers off of that report at this rate (and to think we had an entire thread discussing the numbers from it back in October)

I think your right, I just looked at Fords numbers and the Escape and Fusion are off by 2K units and the F-series is completely wrong: 763K units vs 637...though that looks like a typo also.

Is that Model Year 2013 or Calendar Year 2013?

The troublesome part is that the people who put the report together didn't flag that as an outlier and investigate it.

It's also possible that the registration data actually shows that many registrations due to some type of anomaly.

Yeesh.

a9tkubbtoycojgakkcex.jpg

2014-chevy-traverse-04-600-001.jpg

I was reminded of the Mercedes GL, myself:

a9tkubbtoycojgakkcex.jpg

lead5-2013-mercedes-benz-gl550-review.jp

OK, back at work.

Nissan sent 70K Altimas to rental fleets? Can't say that's surprising...

Nissan sent 70K Altimas to rental fleets? Can't say that's surprising...

I don't know if all of those figures are accurate (listing annual Pilot sales at 500,000 is a huge error that should have been caught quickly), but Nissan has been relying on fleet sales for the Altima and Sentra for some time.

...fun fact from the 2013 fleet data reports we were pouring over a few months back (if I remember correctly): Honda Pilot had the highest amount of retail sales of any vehicle sold in NA (2013 data).

Here's why:

09-rear.jpg

Not gonna win any COTY awards.. but it had a nice classic SUV-look going for it.

Edited by probowler